The Comic Book Thread (spoilers)

Your Mom

I got the re-print of the the old 'Punisher Kills the Marvel Universe' one shot and really enjoyed it.

When was the reprint issued?

So, I've decided to give Year One another chance because I took another look at the art and realized I don't hate it as much as I thought I did. I'll re-read Long Halloween, too.

And I'm still reading 1602 for shits. I never got around to Joss Whedon's run on Astonishing X-Men surprisingly enough either, so I'm giving that a go.

What else is on my list of stuff to read?

Catch up on Elephantmen. Everyone should read this.

Catch up on The Walking Dead. Zombie fun. I stopped at around issue #35 and I believe it's somewhere around #52 or so.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre. It's only four issues, why not? I love TCM.

Speaking of Long Halloween, I know it's quite old, but

anyone ever have any ideas on who the Holiday Killer was?

Really, I should have gone for rocksta. But I'm disappointed in FD's survivor game thusfar.

So, I've decided to give Year One another chance because I took another look at the art and realized I don't hate it as much as I thought I did. I'll re-read Long Halloween, too.

And I'm still reading 1602 for shits. I never got around to Joss Whedon's run on Astonishing X-Men surprisingly enough either, so I'm giving that a go.

What else is on my list of stuff to read?

Catch up on Elephantmen. Everyone should read this.

Catch up on The Walking Dead. Zombie fun. I stopped at around issue #35 and I believe it's somewhere around #52 or so.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre. It's only four issues, why not? I love TCM.

Speaking of Long Halloween, I know it's quite old, but

anyone ever have any ideas on who the Holiday Killer was?

No one really knows, it's remained a mystery as the creators haven't commented on it. The two main theories by fans and some of the comic publications were either Alberto Falcone or Gilda.

Ultimate Gambit was an ultimate joke.

Since I've seen it in your sig for the past few weeks I was wondering what your/peoples thoughts were on the Avengers Disassembled arc. A quick search on play shows there are 3 TPBs and 1 HC, the HC seems to have the same 3 issues as the Avengers Disassembled TPB whilst the other two collect Iron Man and Captain America tie-ins

Is it worth buying? And how are the Cap America/Iron Man tie-ins?

Also just finished reading the first two volumes of Brubakers Criminal and am thoroughly impressed, the first volume(Coward) is easily the best but I'll be waiting for the third trade to come out because I've heard some good things(from iFanboy mostly)

PS: Does anybody have accounts at GoodReads.com it's a nice way to catalog what you've read/your collection etc. Pretty neat for comics but not exclusively fo them, I recommend you check it out if you're nto already a part of it.

For the guy who asked, I really enjoyed the main story of Avengers Disassembled and I fely it really set the tone for all the following events (House of M, Civil War etc.) When I read it also, it was the first avengers story I read since that run began (after Heroes Return, I read the Morgan le fay story then the one where the picked the new roster). And yeah, really enjoyed it.

As for the tie-ins, I never read them. I heard mixed reactions but wouldn't mind checking them out (Iron Man, Cap, Spidey, Thor and FF I believe), but the reason I never read them originally was that I think I read somewhere they weren't directly connected to the main storyline.

For the guy who asked, I really enjoyed the main story of Avengers Disassembled and I fely it really set the tone for all the following events (House of M, Civil War etc.) When I read it also, it was the first avengers story I read since that run began (after Heroes Return, I read the Morgan le fay story then the one where the picked the new roster). And yeah, really enjoyed it.

As for the tie-ins, I never read them. I heard mixed reactions but wouldn't mind checking them out (Iron Man, Cap, Spidey, Thor and FF I believe), but the reason I never read them originally was that I think I read somewhere they weren't directly connected to the main storyline.

The only side story I read from AD was Spidey's, and it blew. Really, it did. The way he got new powers was just... ugh. You don't miss anything, IMO.

EDIT: Here are some reviews for Spidey's (from #15 to 20), and whilst they give good reviews until #19, #20 got 0.5 out of five. I personally didn't like the whole storyline, but whatever floats your boat...

Edited by Johnny Latino Heat

So, I've made a little list of books I'm planning on buying within the next few weeks/months.

Arkham Asylum

Batman: Dark Victory

Wanted

Tales of the Multiverse: Batman - Vampire

Batman: Year 100

Superman & Batman: World's Funnest

Superman: Speeding Bullets

I'm also interested in the Punisher kills the Marvel Universe, but Amazon is only selling it directly from their members. Any reliable sites I should know of?

Got volume 1 (hardcover) of The Ultimates today. Read the first 5 or 6 issues, next one is called Giant-Man versus Wasp or something.

Really impressed with it. I wasn't sure if I'd like it, but my God, I absolutely love how everyone is portrayed, and amazingly, I don't hate Iron Man (never been a fan).

I do have a question, though.

Do they ever touch on what Bruce did as the Hulk before the book began? Or is that in another book in the Ultimate line?

Just finished Arkham Asylum: A Serious House On Serious Earth.

It was alright in terms of story, although nothing much really happened. I did enjoy the darkness of it, though, and absolutely love the art in it. A great style all round.

Let's say, um, 7/10?

Recently read Daredevil: Born Again and Superman: Birthright.

Thoughts on Daredevil

this book was dark and made Kingpin out to be one evil and brilliant bastard. I had never read any DD comic before but the amount of sympathy it drew from me definitely drew me into Murdock's character. The bringing in of Nuke, and of Cap sort of started to lose me toward the end, as I felt it drew my attention away from Murdock and Kingpin. Also the ending, while I initially had the same complaint as I did Watchmen, that the main villain didn't get his butt handed to him in a big battle, I grew to love.

Thoughts on Superman: Birthright

Loved Clark's interaction in Africa and thought that made for a real great story. It was realistic while still working within the confines of my imagination. What I couldn't believe however was how a young Lex Luthor was portrayed. I'm not sure what exactly was putting me off about him, but every piece of his dialog just felt so forced. Not once did I feel any sympathy for him, and found some of his dialog a little cliche. Everything he said and did was to hammer in he was smart, and too smart for his own good, but no human side at all? I don't know what I was expecting, but I thought his adult form was a bit more realistic in terms of humanity and multi-dimensionality. Aside from Luthor's early days in the comic, can't complain. It was a pretty decent little story and the suspense just continued to build and build and build, and I wasn't let down by the ending either.

Finished reading The Killing Joke and Gotham By Gaslight.

TKJ was great. The emphasis on the yin and yang element of Joker and Batman's relationship, the belief that any man can be driven mad in just one day, and that Batman must have certain problems himself, were all very well done. Also had a great portrayal of The Joker, and you can see why it was so influential to Heath Ledger's portrayal. I'm not a huge fan of Joker having any kind of origin story, but the one used in TKJ was the best that we're gonna get.

GBG was a great concept; put Batman in the 19th Century, and have Bruce Wayne linked to the killings of Jack The Ripper, who's made his way to Gotham. I saw the ending coming a mile away, but the concept was strong enough that I enjoyed reading it.

So what next, EWB? I have The Dark Knight Returns, Knightfall, The Doom That Came To Gotham, The Long Halloween, The Man Who Laughs, Year One and Hush.

Decide for me.

Read Knightfall, as I just started reading it as well. I'm not far enough to even form an opinion on it, but because I know what it's famous for, I'm stoked about it. Then read Hush, cuz man, it was great, except for maybe the ending.

Anyone read the original Secret Wars with The Beyonder? I started reading the first issue the other day and it was so cliche and campy that I couldn't bare to read the second. The rolecall was especially tedious as everyone just announces who they are to get it out of the way. If you look it up on Amazon you can actually read the first few pages of the first issue. Spider-Man the animated series did it way better >.<

Edited by Inner D Monz