The Comic Book Thread (spoilers)

Your Mom

The Long Halloween is the best damn comic I've ever read. It's BRILLIANT.

I'm halfway through The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, and I'm enjoying it a lot. Just finished Marvel Civil War: X-Men, and I was distinctly underwhelmed. I enjoyed the standalone Civil War book, but the X-Men one was just....... meh. I wanted to collect the set (for no other reason than I'm a completist, and the set'll look good on my shelf), but I'm having second thoughts now, unless Spider-Man and Iron Man can redeem the series.

The X-Men one never capitalised, this is a group of people for whom a registration act has always been something they fought against, and they were just... there, total wasted opportunity, they should've been front and centre, especially after House of M, Marvel is too afraid to integrate the lovely mutants into the main universe sometimes.

Anybody got any thoughts on Gotham by Gaslight or any of the Batman & Dracula books? Hell, any Elseworld titles worth pimping in general, with or without Batman? I've read Batman: Nosferatu, which is beautifully drawn but not an especially great story. I'm looking to try more.

And, since I'm doing nothing but making idle requests, here's a random observation. I checked out DC's Space Ghost origin story a few days ago. As a fan of Space Ghost: Coast to Coast and Cartoon Network's syndication of the original series, I wanted to like it so much. Wound up being one of the dullest things I've ever read. In the unlikely event anybody's interested in checking these out, if only for their gimmick, don't. <_<

Gotham By Gaslight is decent, but nothing out of the ordinary. You can see the ending coming a mile away.

I'm halfway through The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, and I'm enjoying it a lot. Just finished Marvel Civil War: X-Men, and I was distinctly underwhelmed. I enjoyed the standalone Civil War book, but the X-Men one was just....... meh. I wanted to collect the set (for no other reason than I'm a completist, and the set'll look good on my shelf), but I'm having second thoughts now, unless Spider-Man and Iron Man can redeem the series.

Spidey's is good as far as I can remember (if you can forgive a bit of "why we're right" monologue for the pro-reg side that is way outta character for its speaker), but the Iron Man tie-in has what I personally thought was one of the more touching scenes in recent Marvel memory.

Tony disconnecting Happy Hogan from life support as the Lord's Prayer is juxtaposed over shots of him, Spidey and Reed Richards.

If you like LXG, definitely check out Moore's Top Ten. It's a gritty cop drama in a city full of superheroes. It's hilarious, full of memorable characters, and has some amazing art.

Edit: but don't worry about the prequels, sequels, and character spin-offs, as most aren't done by Moore, and tend to be pretty bland.

Edited by the machine

So... I've read all of Civil War including the bits from other comics, and being a total newbie to comics, I have to ask

Is there any way to buy all of Civil War online?

Or will I have to settle for the main books?

Edited by TheKazarian

So, I've recently finished Ultimate Spiderman Volume 6, and I'm enjoying the series tremendously. Ordered The Watchmen last night, as I really want to see what all of the hype is about.

However, I think the book I've enjoyed the most is The Killing Joke. I'm thinking of buying Batman: Year One, but can anyone recommend any other huge Batman Graphic Novels that are must buy? Really, any graphic novels at all as I'm very much a noob when it comes to Comics.

Oh, also for anyone who's read it, is the MGS Graphic Novel decent? I only gave it a flick through last time I saw it.

Edited by Kwanzabot

So, I've recently finished Ultimate Spiderman Volume 6, and I'm enjoying the series tremendously. Ordered The Watchmen last night, as I really want to see what all of the hype is about.

However, I think the book I've enjoyed the most is The Killing Joke. I'm thinking of buying Batman: Year One, but can anyone recommend any other huge Batman Graphic Novels that are must buy? Really, any graphic novels at all as I'm very much a noob when it comes to Comics.

Oh, also for anyone who's read it, is the MGS Graphic Novel decent? I only gave it a flick through last time I saw it.

The obvious choice for a huge Batman TPB is The Long Halloween. It's great, but you've probably heard that at some point. You can go a step further and check out the sequel, Dark Victory. It's good, but the first is better. There's also a third entry into the series, Catwoman: When In Rome, but I've never checked it out. Jeph Loeb's probably a good enough writer to make a Catwoman miniseries work, though.

There's also Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth. The style is a bit of a mind fuck, but it's good stuff. It's written by current Batman writer, Grant Morrison. I'm playing catch-up on the main series, and Morrison's work from his debut in 2006 through 2007 has been slightly more miss than hit, but he's on form here. A memorable title, IMO.

But uh, depending on how new you are to things, obvious suggestions would be stuff like Year One or the rest of Frank Miller's Batman stuff. I'd pass on checking out his series, though. All-Star Batman and Robin the Boy Wonder, I think it's called. Unless you want comedy, because his "Goddamn Batman" approach lends itself mostly to that, from what little I've read.

Shit, just check this list out. IGN's 25 Greatest Batman Novels. It's a bit dated, and I can't personally vouch for everything on the list, but it's a good starting point.

Now, uh, why'd I come in here again? <_<

Oh, yeah. I'm almost done getting up to speed on Batman, Detective Comics, and Robin. Reading roughly six comics a day is a great way to avoid boredom. Detective Comics 835 and 836, a Scarecrow-centric two parter, are officially among the most awesome Batman comics I've read.

I'm checking out Captain America #1 tomorrow, most likely. Hope it's as good as you guys have made it out to be.

Anybody ever read any of the Batman Beyond comics? I assume they're probably uninspired shit, serving mostly to promote the show they were built around, but eh. I'm a fan of the series, so I'm toying with the idea of getting a few. Just not sure if they're worth it when Bats alone has 348344 other things I could waste my money on.

Edited by The Rated-R Superstar

Maybe it's because everything he's ever done for Marvel has been total shit, and I've always been a marvel zombie, but Loeb is probably the most over-rated writer not named Grant Morrison. He can tell "iconic" stories decently enough, but anything he's done in the past ten years has looked more outdated than Chris Claremont and John Byrne, which is really saying something.

Alright so my comic subscription landed today which included my first issue of Batman: Detective Comics and I have to ask: why the fuck didn't I start reading this earlier? I know the issue I got (which is part two of a six parter featuring Hush and Scarecrow) was far from the best comic ever written but DAMN I enjoyed it.

Avengers-Invaders continues to be a total pleasure to read. The story is just actually starting to spread it's wings a little bit now and open up beyond the whole Invaders vs. Everyone that has been going since the start. Just great stuff all around and I recommend everyone gives it a shot.

X-Force left me flat as usual and so this will be my last issue. Just too much violence for the sake of violence and a ho hum story. Secret Invasion: X-Men wasn't overly jaw dropping either but served it's purpose as a set up. Since I collect practically everything X I'll get the issues even if things don't pick up. Half the problem is probably that Secret Invasion has yet to really 'wow' me so it's hard to get excited.

Thunderbolts got slipped onto my pull list and I'm sure glad it did. Probably the first SI related book that I actually can say I really enjoyed. This sort of thing just works so well with a group who don't trust each other to begin with especially when there are actually betrayers. Seems like Norman may be slipping back into his smiling green duds pretty soon...the poor dude is about to snap. :)

From the list that RatedR linked to,I shall list those that I agree are awesome, along with the synopsis that IGN posted.

#25 Batman: Venom

Written by: Dennis O'Neil

Art by: Trevor Von Eeden & Russel Braun

Admittedly, Venom isn't the best-written tale around. Let's just say Batman literally jumps the shark towards the end. That being said, the images in this book have stayed with us for over a decade. Though the execution may not have been perfect, the concept is one of the best from the Legends of the Dark Knight series. Having found himself incapable of saving a little girl from drowning due to his all-too-human strength, The Batman falls into despair. Batman clings to grief and it's that remaining scrap of humanity that leads him down this dark and desperate path.

He finds a solution to his physical limitations through some experimental pills nicknamed "Venom." The pills, however, turn out to do more than boost Batman's strength. This is a superhero on steroids and yes, The Batman experiences 'roid rage. Ultimately, Batman must overcome his dependence and exact his revenge on his white-collar pusher.

#24 Batman: Knightfall Part One - Broken Bat

Written by: Chuck Dixon & Doug Moench

Art by: Jim Aparo, Norm Breyfogle, Graham Nolan and Jim Balent

Few events have been as traumatic as the breaking of Batman's back. While some were shocked that it was not the Joker, Two-Face or the Riddler who finally cracked Batman's will, the entrance of a newcomer seemed almost inevitable. After all, Batman learned long ago how to handle his regular crop of insane foes. Bane proves himself a brilliant adversary -- at least in this trade paperback.

What makes Knightfall Part One so memorable is not the actually snapping of Batman's back. It's the quick fall into despair that proves most shocking. The ending is a foregone conclusion as Batman is worn down both physically and mentally. The Batman's spirit is broken before his vertebrae and that's a feat you'll never see accomplished anywhere else.

I agree that these two are awesome and vital reading. Venom was the precursor to Knighfall, so if you want the whole story I'd recommend Venom first. I also recommend Knightsend and Prodigal, in that order, after Knightfall. It was a multi year story. There is very little of AzBats in trade sadly, which would take place between Knightfall and Knightsend.

#20 JLA: Tower of Babel

Written by: Mark Waid, Dan Curtis Johnson, Christopher Priest and John Ostrander

Art by: Howard Porter, Steve Scott, Mark Pajarillo, Pablo Raimondi, Eric Battle and Ken Lashley

JLA: Tower of Babel is unique among this list. It's the only JLA title to make the top 25, but it's also the only book that manages to say a lot of The Batman without having him be on the page. It turns out that Batman has been keeping secret files on every member of the JLA. Not only does he know their weaknesses, but he has plans to take each of them down if necessary -- and painfully at that. As the JLA is systematically destroyed, one member at a time, it becomes clear that those files have been stolen.

This compelling story examines the depths of Batman's paranoia, but also shows admiration for his forethought. Even the JLA, embittered by this betrayal, recognize that perhaps someone should have a contingency plan in case the League becomes mind-controlled or are otherwise in need of incapacitation. But that still doesn't forgive Batman's deception. And here you thought Identity Crisis was the beginning of the end for the JLA.

Awesome tale, and really the only part of Waid's JLA run after Morrison that worked or was even good. As an aside, if you want to read really good Morrison written Batman read any of his trades of JLA. He nailed them all, but Batman was the best.

#18 Batman: A Lonely Place of Dying

Written by: Marv Wolfman

Art by: George Perez

The death of Jason Todd is one of the most significant moments in Batman's history. So is the discovery of a new (and better) Robin, Tim Drake. A Lonely Place of Dying tells the origin of the latest Robin, the one who would make an indelible mark on DC Comics and become a fan favorite. The different between Tim Drake and the previous two Robins is that his crusade is not born of tragedy. Instead, Tim has used his detective skills to discover that Batman is, in fact, Bruce Wayne. He further deduces that Dick Grayson was the original Robin and that the newest Robin, Jason Todd, is now dead.

Tim's a Batman fanatic and he's witnessing his idol slowly falling apart. Batman's stopped thinking and has become a brute with a cape. The solution? Get a new Robin. But Tim's idea is not to take up the mantle of Robin for himself, but to convince Dick Grayson to return to his former partner's side. A Lonely Place of Dying creates a new status quo for Batman books and happens to be an engrossing read to boot.

This is stellar. Just absolutely fantastic. Read it after Batman Year Three if you are so inclined.

#15 Batman: A Death in the Family

Read the ReviewWritten by: Jim Starlin

Art by: Jim Aparo

Poor Jason Todd. So hated was he by comic-book fans that over 5000 paid for phone call votes to assure he bit the dust. Not only was A Death in the Family the first comic to play the Roman game of Yay or Nay with a person's life, but it did end up being the second most significant event in the life of Bruce Wayne. A shocking moment, however, wouldn't get this high on the list if the story wasn't also high-caliber.

Having discovered the his birth mother is still alive and one of three women living abroad, Jason Todd runs away from home for a family reunion. As bad luck would have it, the Joker has stolen a nuclear missile and has gone off to the Mid-East to sell to the highest bidder. When Batman follows after the Joker and runs into Jason Todd it sets of a series of events that lead to one of the most memorable splash pages in the history of comics. The final issue turns out to be the real gem as Batman must deal with his thirst for vengeance -- and it's Superman who stands in his way.

Dated, but stellar. I was not a Jason Todd fan at all, and yet when I read this I was saddened. Truly awesome storytelling

I will skip Hush and the rest of Jeph Loeb's tales, as those have been pimped to high heaven here.

#6 Batman: The Cult

Read the ReviewWritten by: Jim Starlin

Art by: Bernie Wrightson

One of the most overlooked Batman tales is also one of the best. It begins with the Batman in dire straits, held captive beneath Gotham by a group of zealots. Their leader, the charismatic Deacon Blackfire is determined to break Batman's will and brainwash him to becoming a devoted follower. It works. It's shocking, jarring and incredible. The Batman's will is destroyed and even after his escape, the Dark Knight remains on shaky ground.

Outside of A Death in the Family, this is the only trade paperback to feature Jason Todd as Robin (and a likable one at that). He assists Batman in trying to reclaim his own will, but it's not an easy path. The Cult feels (and even looks) a lot like The Dark Knight Returns, but this is no futuristic tale or flight of fancy. This is real and the story is told with callous brutality that makes it all the more powerful.

Starlin and Wrightson on a killer Batman limited series. Enough said.

And everything after that on the list has been pimped.

There we go.

Those people who worried about Thunderbolts dipping in quality after Ellis left, don't worry, get on/back on the book, the Secret Invasion storyline has been fantastic, some great one liners, wonderful psychology and a much more cohesive feel to the book (though not the team, obviously :P) than even Ellis managed, so far.

So I just finished Watchmen and I just wanted to comment. I absolutely loved the ending. I have heard rumors that the ending was changed for the movie, and if that is the case (and the movie is actually released... I haven't heard any updates on the Fox/WB issues) I will be thoroughly pissed.

Granted, if they decided to end it with

the scene in which Adrian asks Jon if he did the right thing and Jon just leaves, leaving him without an answer and full of uncertainty of his actions

I wouldn't be upset. I thought the book should have ended there anyway. But the twist at the end was a welcome surprise. I just hope they didn't totally kill the ending for the film.

Edited by JairusCain

Okay I'm just going to put this out here, and have at me if you will but...

Is anyone else REALLY not impressed with The Long Halloween and all the other books of that style? To me it's just all over the place, drawn to be confusing and just ugh in general.

I'm not a huge fan of the art style myself. It's not terrible...but I don't really enjoy it a whole lot. Of course the storyline in that particular series of Batman stories more than makes up for my opinion of the art.

Frank Miller...now THATS some art I can't stand. The only exception being Sin City...the rest of it is UGH.

Is anyone else REALLY not impressed with The Long Halloween and all the other books of that style? To me it's just all over the place, drawn to be confusing and just ugh in general.

I'll be the SECOND Teej has heard of. I have no use for Jeph Loeb Batman. I DID enjoy Superman for All Seasons and Catwoman: When in Rome made clever use of Tim Sale's sparse Euro art deco style at least, but I'm generally not a big Loeb fan.

Frank Miller, on the other hand, is a golden god (who clearly should've ALSO rested on the 8th day when he created The Dark Knight Strikes Again, but that's the exception that proves the rule).

I'll be the SECOND Teej has heard of. I have no use for Jeph Loeb Batman. I DID enjoy Superman for All Seasons and Catwoman: When in Rome made clever use of Tim Sale's sparse Euro art deco style at least, but I'm generally not a big Loeb fan.

Frank Miller, on the other hand, is a golden god (who clearly should've ALSO rested on the 8th day when he created The Dark Knight Strikes Again, but that's the exception that proves the rule).

All Star Batman And Robin?

And I understand not liking Loeb, but I took it to mean he disliked the art.