The Comic Book Thread (spoilers)

Your Mom

Just going by who's the most well known who would the top female DC heroes be?

Wonder Woman

Harley Quinn(She's been a hero since her popularity exploded)

Cat Woman(Arguable but she's at lest an anti-hero at this point)

Batgirl

Supergirl

Black Canary

Starfire

Raven

Huntress

Zatanna

These are the ones I put in contention for the tip top but an order is hard. Clearly Wonder Woman is at the top and I'd say Harley at two but even that's Arguable with Batgirl, Supergirl and Cat Woman on the list.

I count her as Batgirl first.  When someone says Batgirl I immediately think of Barbara.

Eh, I don't think so. She's cool and all and I love her in Harley but she has almost zero exposure outside of comics.

Also, what I came in here for.

Screenshot_20180508-234727.png

• 4 weeks later...

He actually uses that in a recent Injustice comic and Canary loses her shit. "You kept that on your back?! Around our child?!" Kinda thing.

Edit.

green-arrows-most-powerful-arrow-injustigreen-arrows-most-powerful-arrow-injusti

green-arrows-most-powerful-arrow-injusti

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Hi, so I'm getting back into comic books. I'm looking at it as a family bonding thing as my wife and kids are all on the comic train. So I'm looking for recommendations, my focus is mainly on graphic novels, probably Marvel stuff for now. I'm already working on the Punisher stuff written by Garth Ennis. I'd like to get some good X-Men, Daredevil, Dr. Strange, Deadpool, Cable, Gambit, Black Panther, Ghost Rider and anything else people really enjoyed. 

If it helps I'm already a fan of stuff like Preacher, The Boys, The Crow, and Sandman. I'm definitely open to non-Marvel stories but I kind of want to collect some of the stuff I had as a kid if possible. This weekend I purchased the first of the Punisher complete collection by Ennis, a four issue storyline of Sabretooth (which has the fucking advertisements I remember as a kid!!!), and a few random issues of Gambits stuff. 

Where do you guys purchase comics if you purchase online? 

Are there places I could find titles from the early 90s? Specifically looking for 90s Punisher stuff (Jigsaw puzzle if possible), the X-Men comic series that ran in conjunction with the Fox show, the Spiderman Maximum Carnage story, the Death of Superman Storyline (that had the four different "Supermans"), and

Probavly the quickest and cheapest way to get the older marvel comics is to go with Marvel Unlimited, which has a massive collection of comics, digitalized and retouched where it was necessary. The newer collections are 6 months behind the stores, too.

There are other ways to read comics online too, but for obvious reasons it's not appropriate to mention those sites here.

As far as other companies and physical prints, i sadly have no clue because the Netherlands isn't particularly a big comics loving nation and I haven't admittedly ventured outside of Marvel stuff.

Edited by Jasonmufc

23 hours ago, Los Ingobernables De VP said:

X-Men, Daredevil, Dr. Strange, Deadpool, Cable, Gambit, Black Panther, Ghost Rider and anything else people really enjoyed

X-Men:

• X-Men: God Loves, Man Kills (1982), written by Chris Claremont, art by Brent Eric Anderson
  • Astonishing X-Men (2004) Ultimate Collection Vol. 1 and 2 written by Joss Whedon, art by John Cassaday
  • New X-Men (2001) Vol. 1. written by Grant Morrison, art by Frank Quitely and Ethan Van Sciver
  • Uncanny X-Force (2010-2012) Vol. 1, "The Apocalypse Solution" written by Rick Remender, art by Jerome Opena

Daredevil:

• Daredevil (1998-2011 run):  "The Devil, Inside and Out" Vol. 1 and 2, written by Ed Brubaker, art by Michael Lark
  • Anything Daredevil by Frank Miller.
  • Anything Daredevil by Mark Waid

Deadpool:

• Deadpool (2012) Vol. 1 "Dead Presidents" written by Gerry Duggan and Brian Posehn, art by Tony Moore

Black Panther:

• Christopher Priest's 90's run
  • Ta-Nehesi Coates' current run

Ghost Rider:

• Jason Aaron's run
  • Felipe Smith's run
  • Garth Ennis' run
  • Like 2

Also there's a new Astonishing X-Men (2017) from last year that has a lot of the classic faces appearing. Gambit, Rogue, Psylocke, Bishop, Angel, Mystique, Fantomex.

It's a bit of a hodge-podge drawing, because for that run they chose to let every issue get drawn by a different penciler, but the actual story is pretty damn good. But another boon is that it doesn't cross over or requires you to be in the know of what's going on in the general marvel continuity, it's all pickup-and-read.

Hawkeye Vol. 4 (2012) by Matt Fraction, great comic center about badass normie Hawkeye and his normie kind of issues. Really neat minimalistic drawing and an endearing cast including two hawkeye's, and a pizza loving dog.

Hawkeye Vs. Deadpool (2014) by Gerry Duggan - I'm not one for 'versus' comics, and Deadpool is especially the ever saturating presence. But this one's a riot from start to finish, five issues of shenanigans between Hawkeye (and Hawkeye) and Deadpool, and generally just a load of fun all around. All heroes shine in this one.

Invincible Iron Man 1-33/500-527 (2008) by Matt Fraction (see a pattern?) is one of the quintessential Tony Stark kinds of comics. If you like him, great. If you don't, it's still a damn fine read. Great compelling writing by one of the best guys Marvel let walk out the door, and this is just a great comic book.

Edited by Jasonmufc
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2018/jun/14/stan-lee-police-probe-reports-of-elder-abuse-against-marvel-mogul

Police are looking into reports of elder abuse against Stan Lee. I know people who work comic book conventions that have talked about this to some extent for years, but definitely moreso in the last year, so hopefully something comes of it.

I audiabley gasped when I saw a Starfire doll on the shelf at work yesterday.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So I just read an article about how bad it was that DC spoiled the Batman Wedding issue in the NYT but then at the end of the article they went ahead and spoiled it anyway as a joke. Fuck you!

Spoiler for the issue

Spoiler

They don't get married and it sounds fucking horrible. Out of curiosity I was going to buy it but now I can save $5 or whatever it costs. So while that article doing that for a joke was shitty I am kinda glad they did now

I read about it, and it's a terrible thing to pull on fans. 

My guess is they spoiled ahead of time to prevent some people from being pissed off for buying the issue without reading through it first, such as people who have subscrptions at comic shops.

Steve Ditko was an odd character, and politically light years away from me, but someone I've long respected for sticking to his principles to an almost deleterious extent - Alan Moore's old band The Emperors Of Ice Cream wrote a song about him called "Mr. A" that pretty accurately summed up his rather extreme Randian views. He saw the world as strictly good and bad, with no shades of grey in-between, and that was reflected in his work - particularly later (brilliant) characters like Mr. A and The Question. Both of whom - along with extrapolations of Ditko's own beliefs - served as inspiration for Rorschach in Watchmen. It was that moral philosophy that lent his Marvel work some of its more enduring quirks, too - it was under Ditko that Spider-Man comics began to end, almost invariably, with the police showing up to save the day. Because in Ditko's world-view, superheroes were an anomaly - the business of arresting and apprehending criminals ultimately had to fall to the police. A lot gets said about how Stan Lee, as the public face of Marvel, took a lot of credit and plaudits that rightly should have gone to Jack Kirby. But Steve Ditko is the other part of that triumvirate that is perhaps even more overlooked - without Ditko, there is no Spider-Man, nor most of his rogue's gallery, there's no Dr. Strange (and, by extension, little of the more metaphysical, inward looking wing of the Marvel universe), the likes of Iron Man and the Hulk would be unrecognisable - to say nothing of the surrealistic, innovative art style he brought to the form, and his fundamental understanding of comic books as a medium in their own right, not as a poor substitute for movies or TV. But that's what he'd have wanted - he wasn't mugging for the camera like Stan Lee, he wanted his work to speak for itself and nobody to know who Steve Ditko was. But I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that Ditko, along with Lee and Kirby, played a huge part in shaping the pop culture landscape of the latter half of the 20th Century.

• Like 2