The Comic Book Thread (spoilers)

Your Mom

I just re-subbed to Marvel Unlimited, but now I'm disappointed. I wanted to go re-read through the original Thunderbolts or X-Factor, but so many issues are missing. So I'm turning to EWB.

Suggest me full-runs that are available through the Unlimited service!

Wait, why are there issues missing? I just got unlimited and was assuming that everything they added that wasn't current running was complete. Am I going to be running into missing issues when I try to read X-Men?

I was kinda hoping it was just part of the Spider-Gwen book. A reminder why Marvel doesn't catch my eye often. I hate offshoot titles and crossovers.

Just now, =BK= said:

Wait, why are there issues missing? I just got unlimited and was assuming that everything they added that wasn't current running was complete. Am I going to be running into missing issues when I try to read X-Men?

I believe that when Unlimited started, they were focused mostly on getting specific story-arc's up than about filling entire runs. From what I can tell, anything newer is full.

Uncanny X-Men has 1-66, then 94-544. 67-93 were re-prints though, so completely unneccessary for a read-through. If I didn't want something a bit newer, I'd probably just do a full read-through of Uncanny X-Men, but I will wait on that and hope for some good suggestions here.

2 minutes ago, GhostMachine said:

Bright idea there. Is he supposed to be Reverse-Hobgoblin? 

The article I pulled it from that didn't list sources said Peter murdered Osborn over Gwen's death and drifted away from Spider-Man over time to be the new Goblin.

10 hours ago, =BK= said:

The article I pulled it from that didn't list sources said Peter murdered Osborn over Gwen's death and drifted away from Spider-Man over time to be the new Goblin.

pretty much, i have read the issue, but that is only mentioned....

I read through Civil War again. It's almost heart-breaking to see Cap give up at the end of it all. I understand why, with the battle having put civilians in danger and destroyed property... but what did he expect was going to happen? Revolution is violent.

Cap's whole stance on the war was that it wasn't right, what Tony, Reed and the government were doing. Blood was going to have to be shed to win that war, but when it came down to it, Captain America didn't have it in him to let it happen. With all of the talk about characters not acting appropriately in the event, Captain America's choices are usually left alone because they all feel like things he would do. But surely, he had to have known that rebelling like he did would cause the shockwaves that it did... and furthermore, that a violent conflict was inevitable. Not only that, but Cap concedes to Tony at the end of it all, giving in to a tyrant and setting off the course of events that followed... Dark Reign in particular being drawn back to Cap's choice then and there to give up.

He was a soldier, and he's always believed that you do what's right, no matter the consequence. He's seen war, and he's seen what happens when the wrong side wins a war... yet, the end of the Superhero Civil War saw him give up to Tony, because maybe he didn't understand the ramifications of allowing the Registration Act to pass and Tony Stark and friends (and villains) to run the show?

What's your guys' take on that?

Edited by Gabriel

Cap probably realized by surrendering it could open up room for talk again too. The "What if..." that showed the outcome of them working together lead to a much, much better outcome.

Oh and Spider-Verse was fun. I'll never get tired of Peter beating on Superior Spidey.

Civil War had several issues:

First of all, Reed Richards being perfectly fine with the government ruining his uncle's life = Reed is a dick.

The whole Sally Floyd saying Cap wasn't up to date because he didn't watch NASCAR, use MySpace, etc. was a word class load of shit.

Everyone involved with the creation of Ragnarok should have had their asses handed to them by the real Thor later on, and no one was really held responsible for Bill Foster's death. Bill's nephew later denoucing Reed and Tony doesn't really count.

Reed Richards is an awful human being arguably by design. The worlds smartest scientist, a man who has proven time and time again that he can invent pretty much everything whether it's ultra mundane (a wooden gun that sends Dr. Doom into a self-doubt psychosis) or literal time machines that mess with the time streams itself.

But for all his genius, he doesn't invent ways to end world hunger, disease, and stop all the other bad things going in the world. Because that would break continuity, and status quo is king.

But yeah, his genius is pretty much what makes him an awful person because there's all this potential and he never does anything with it for whatever reason. He's a catch 22 character, he can fix everything and break everything by doing it, or he can do nothing and gleefully watch or do just the bare minimum whilst the world burns.

Ultimately, that means Reed Richards is in fact a sociopath by design.

At least the Ultimate Universe played with that and just made him an evil son of a bitch.

On 21/09/2018 at 09:38, The Chiksrara Special said:

Ok was the world really thirsting for Batman's dong?

I saw that and it's ridiculous how much of a storm there is about people wanting it covered with shadows. I'm a massive Batman fan but I really don't need to see a Batdick unless it's Dick Grayson in a Batsuit.

• Haha 1

Rereading Ultimate Spider-Man. So good.

One thing I really like is that Peter and MJ really look like teenagers. Most comic artists seem to have a problem doing that. You can tell that MJ is supposed to be super beautiful but at the same time you can still see the awkward look of a teen girl.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jasonmufc said:

Yeah, Ultimate Gwen was... something, alright.

I completely forgot about Peter finding her ugly crying in a pile of garbage bags behind the school dumpster when he's trying to find a place to change into his costume. That and MJ's "Drama Queen" reaction when Peter tells her he found her in the trash and to go to get her.