The Comic Book Thread (spoilers)

Your Mom

I need a bit of help/explanation. I bought a couple of comics the other day (old Spider-Man ones) and really enjoyed them and I have loved pretty much every superhero movie released in the past few years, so I want to get a few comics. I want to get comics of the movies I really like, like Batman, Captain America, Spider-Man. So it seems perfect with this New 52 from DC that I won't be too far behind kind of thing. But there are like four Batman comics. And I think four Spider-Man ones too. :wacko: Any help on which ones I should get?

The Batman comics problem you have is quite easily solved, get either Detective Comics or Batman New 52. Don't bother with The Dark Knight or whatever the other one is. Marvel is actually doing a semi-reboot/clean slate of all their comics, including Spider-Man (I think) starting between October and November, so you could start reading from issue 1. Otherwise, I'd say go buy some story collections. You can get some quite good ones like all of the Clone Saga for £15.

You are so mean to tell someone to read The Clone Saga.

• Like 1

So I'm reading the DC #0 comics... well, the ones on my pull list, at least. I like that they're establishing a back story for what came before in the DCnU, especially the backstories for Barbara Gordon and Jason Todd. The only one that's annoyed me so far is that

Green Lantern: New Guardians #0 isn't an origin story at all. It's a follow up to Green Lantern #12 and Green Lantern #0, with absolutely no back story of how Kyle became a Lantern, or even anything related to the other Lantern corps. Stupid.

I'm not reading that comic but Doop is very awesome. I'm glad that at least one character from X-Statix (the most underrated Marvel comic of the last decade) is out there still.

So I'm reading the DC #0 comics... well, the ones on my pull list, at least. I like that they're establishing a back story for what came before in the DCnU, especially the backstories for Barbara Gordon and Jason Todd. The only one that's annoyed me so far is that

Green Lantern: New Guardians #0 isn't an origin story at all. It's a follow up to Green Lantern #12 and Green Lantern #0, with absolutely no back story of how Kyle became a Lantern, or even anything related to the other Lantern corps. Stupid.

Just wondering, what do you feel regarding the revelation about Jason Todd's past in #0? You know, the one where

the Joker is apparently behind everything that went wrong with Jason's life to make him Robin?

Honestly... that didn't sit well with me.

Just wondering, what do you feel regarding the revelation about Jason Todd's past in #0? You know, the one where

the Joker is apparently behind everything that went wrong with Jason's life to make him Robin?

Honestly... that didn't sit well with me.

Well, I could take or leave that one. It makes his current situation and persona seem a little more like his life has come full circle, although

Batman #0 already pretty much explains why Jason chose the moniker of the Red Hood after coming back to life. I suppose The Joker screwing with a kid just to see if anything would happen is par for the course for the Clown Prince of Crime. It's still a very convoluted bit of story telling, and honestly, I'm not sure whether the Joker is really responsible for everything that happened, or if he just figured out Jason's identity and used it to mess with the kid, claiming responsibility after the fact.

The fact that the Red Hood is also a murdering psychopath like The Joker sort of brings in to question whether or not the Joker's backstory in the The Killing Joke is still true or not, but he's a sadist either way. Of course, since The Killing Joke still mostly happened - well, at least according to Batgirl #0 - I don't really know.

Ultimately, how the #0 comics establish the Joker basically makes it seem like, once again, his origins are multiple choice. Jason getting caught in the cross fire is just sort of... there.

Good find this weekend. Friend was unloading his comics (200-250 total books) and wanted 100 for the lot. Took two random handfuls and from that decided it was worth it. Smart choice. In the lot I've found:

DC Comics: My Greatest Adventure #28 (Jack Kirby artwork). I'd rate it at a 4-5 grade which puts it roughly at 25-35$

DC Comics: Strange Adventures #184 (2nd Animal Man). I'd rate it at a 6-7 grade which puts it at roughly 25-40$

Marvel Comics: Adventures on the Planet of the Apes #1. I'd rate it at a 7-8 grade which puts it at roughly 15-20$

(also have #4 at a 7 or so)

Charlton Comics: Adventures of the Man-God Hercules #2. I'd rate it at a 8-8.5 grade which puts it at roughly 15-20$

Those 4 books and I've all but found my 100$ already. I've got about 30 Dark Horse books to rummage through. Just taking a glance I've seen IDW stuff,some Harvey Comics, Whitman logo stuff, and some Eclipse stuff.

Anyone know why Avengers Academy is ending?

Is it part of the big dumb Marvel Now thing? I don't even know what all the titles for that are.

It's so weird comparing where I am with comics now to where I was like half a decade ago. I used to read the solicitations for months in advance religiously and keep in touch with all the major storylines. Now I'm just sort of catching up with the main AvX storyline haphazardly without reading any of the companion books or anything.

EDIT: Holy shit, I just saw the new Thunderbolts lineup. I think the only way I could be any less enthusiastic is if Wolverine were in there.

EDIT II: And oh boy, I guess the continuation of Avengers Academy is what appears to be a straight-up Battle Royale/The Hunger Games knockoff written by someone I've never heard before! Superhero comics are doing a really, really good job of making me grow out of superhero comics.

EDIT: Holy shit, I just saw the new Thunderbolts lineup. I think the only way I could be any less enthusiastic is if Wolverine were in there.

:crying: WTF ....

I echo your "growing out" of thing. My reading has shifted again (Winter Soldier/Valiant stuff/back to Spiderman/Scarlet Spider). I've got very few true SuperHero mags in my subscriptions right now. In fact, Justice League might be the only one left at the moment (SM is so all over the place I just put it in it's little box and leave it be).

I sort of feel like we're entering the new '90s and suddenly Marvel is once again being overloaded with a misguided sense of cool.

Though what they're doing to the Avengers Academy cast isn't new. Just ask Nunzio DeFelippis and Christina Weir about what happened to New X-Men.

• Like 1

Trapped on an isolated island, 16 superhuman young adults (including cult faves like members of the Runaways, The Avengers Academy and Darkhawk) are given a chilling ultimatum by their demented captor: Fight or die…only one will walk out alive! Thus begins a primal battle that will test the skills, stamina and morals of each combatant. Welcome to Murder World, where the secrets are plenty, alliances are fleeting, and the key to victory might be rewriting the rules of the game. Who will survive? The rising star team of Dennis Hopeless (X-MEN: SEASON ONE) and Kev Walker (THUNDERBOLTS) dare you to tune in to your new favorite comic NOW!

DENNIS HOPELESS.

Basically it just looks like the same emotional blackmail bullshit they did to New X-Men after they got rid of the original creative team.