Best Support Act You've Seen

Steeb

So who's the best support act you've seen? I've seen Do Me Bad Things and Ash supporting The Darkness, and Forgive Durden and Men, Women & Children supporting Panic! At The Disco, as BSS and TMV didn't have supports. I honestly don't think I could choose a best - besides Forgive Durden, as they were fucking appalling. DMBT were just crazy-good, Ash blew me away, as I dislike them on record but they throw down live, and MW&C were just a shedload of fun.

So yeah, yours?

Men Women and Childred were a shedload of gay.

Support bands that I made a point to follow up on include...

Beyond Fear supporting Anthrax

Capdown supporting Me First and the Gimme Gimmes

Diamond Head supporting Megadeth

The Duke supporting Fozzy

God Forbid supporting Trivium

Zero Cipher supporting Skindred

Of those I think Capdown get the vote for best live performance, and Zero Cipher for best albums.

Capdown were fucking insane, it was awesome. Almost overshadowed MFATGG. But not quite. Biggest mosh pit / crowd acceptance for a support I've ever seen though.

Diamond Head supporting Megadeth

:o Diamond Head > Most

Personally, I think it'd be Mike Peters supporting Bob Geldof. He played a load of songs that never ended up being released, as well as acoustic versions of old Alarm songs, and his solo material, and joked about how no one there really knew who he was, so it's good to see a guy like him that doesn't have an ego on him. And I can pretty much pinpoint the moment I saw him as the time I thought "this is what I want to do with my life", in regards to music.

Saul Williams supporting Nine Inch Nails is a close second, though.

When Abandoned Pools supported Pink & Lenny Kravitz back in 2002, it remains the only show where I knew the headliners couldn't hold a candle to the support.

Tommy Walter (between songs): "See, having a name like Abandoned Pools is good, because we're right up front at most record stores...except for Abba, which most people skip us to get to."

Future Kings of Spain were great fun when they supported Nine Black Alps, but easily the best support acts were for Razorlight, as I went to see the support acts and not the headliners; they were James Spencer & The Mighty Blues Explosion who were immense and Yeti who are always good fun, they were especially good at Razorlight as their amp exploded and they ended up just doing an acoustic set on the side of the stage, singing songs about bugs.

Futureheads were good at the Pixies gig, even though the feedback was horrible for the first few songs.

The Automatic, supporting The Kooks in Brighton several months back, were good.

Feeder, the band I actually went to see, supporting the Stereophonics in Cardiff last year.

Kasabian supporting the Von Bondies back in 2004 in Bristol.

Nine Black Alps supporting The Vines, circa 2004 in Bristol also.

Some more, but off the top of the head those were my favourites.

Against Me! supporting Alkaline Trio

Course I already knew Against Me! would kick all kinds of ass..

And technically, Alkaline Trio supporting My Chemical Romance. Talk about getting upstaged....

Edited by Maxx

The Magic Numbers and Feist when they opened for Bright Eyes (who played with a mini orchestra).

The opening bands set the tone perfectly, and when Feist had Connor out to do a duo of Mushaboom the crowd was left salivating for more Bright Eyes.

Perfect opening.

This group called Street Drum Corps was awesome. They're like a punk-rock version of Stomp, using magnets, oil drums, garbage cans, black light, and a whoooole lotta glow paint.

These guys did a quick set before the Used came on, and then it just transitioned into an opening for them with their guitars. I didn't even like the Used that much, but the feeling when they were doing the intro was just sheer chaos. It actually felt like shit was going to hit the fan, and everyone was getting worked up and restless.