Official Premiership 06/07 thread

Liam

When is Dyer ever fit? Not to mention I'm still not seeing names of players that mean Newcastle will challenge for Europe, which I know is what Newcastle fans want immediately. Baines, Young and Curtis - who you won't get all of, if any of - aren't going to help challenge for Europe immediately either if you ask me, but I can't see all 3 of them, if any of them, coming to Newcastle.

And I'd still argue McCarthy is better than Martins, especially because he's producing now. If Newcastle are going to be stuck in averagedom for the next while, and not really show any signs of any European matches soon I don't suspect Martins will stick around at Newcastle forever, while McCarthy is only 29 so he's got a good few seasons left in him where he'll produce at the same level he has this time. If we were discussing strikers between Man Utd and Chelsea, and the 23 year old had gone to Man Utd, I could see your point, because they already have the ability and can let him come in when ready, it's slightly different further down the table.

I can pretty much guarantee Newcastle fans aren't interested in 5 years time, they want results and they want them now and McCarthy done that for Blackburn moreso than Martins done it for Newcastle. I'd also argue that McCarthy doesn't really have better players around him than Martins does, maybe slightly, but Blackburn are hadly choc-full of talent, far from it if you ask me :-\

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Newcastle fans are largely idiots. I had to laugh at the Newcastle fans last night insisting they were too good for Allardyce. That is particularly the attitude that has kept them in the dark for years. They need to realise that yes they have a big stadium and spending power (now and again), but they are no longer a massive club. They expect so much, and maybe they should with the money they've spent but Keegan did the same, and they won nothing.

And I'd still argue McCarthy is better than Martins, especially because he's producing now. If Newcastle are going to be stuck in averagedom for the next while, and not really show any signs of any European matches soon I don't suspect Martins will stick around at Newcastle forever, while McCarthy is only 29 so he's got a good few seasons left in him where he'll produce at the same level he has this time. If we were discussing strikers between Man Utd and Chelsea, and the 23 year old had gone to Man Utd, I could see your point, because they already have the ability and can let him come in when ready, it's slightly different further down the table.

I can pretty much guarantee Newcastle fans aren't interested in 5 years time, they want results and they want them now and McCarthy done that for Blackburn moreso than Martins done it for Newcastle. I'd also argue that McCarthy doesn't really have better players around him than Martins does, maybe slightly, but Blackburn are hadly choc-full of talent, far from it if you ask me :-\

Selling something and getting your money back doesn't make it a good buy :P

If you buy a video game, realise it's shit, and sell it on ebay for the price you bought it, it doesn't suddenly make the video game good. (Edit: I'm not saying Martins is shit, or that Newcastle will be trying to sell him).

Edited by Farmer Reil

Even if Martins doesn't stick around for that long, Newcastle will still recoup what they spent on him. Which makes the price thing moot.

Newcastle fans are largely idiots. I had to laugh at the Newcastle fans last night insisting they were too good for Allardyce. That is particularly the attitude that has kept them in the dark for years. They need to realise that yes they have a big stadium and spending power (now and again), but they are no longer a massive club. They expect so much, and maybe they should with the money they've spent but Keegan did the same, and they won nothing.

What really made me laugh was the fact there were some fans saying that the way forward was Shearer and Keegan. I was almost in tears of laughter for that one. They've had one hopelessly unqualified coach screw up so lets get another one in, and a bloke who was completely out of his depth. Although I do admire Keegan for being the only coach England have had recently who admitted he was incapable. Takes some balls, especially a manager who relies on passion over tactics.

What do you guys think of Gareth Southgate as a manager?

Whenever I see him on MOTD, he always looks and talks like a nerdy 70's schoolboy. But Boro are still in the Premiership, so he can't be that bad...

Edited by Lost Soul

Guest REENGAYLAND!!!

I think it's time we whipped out our predictions from before the season started. I had:

1. Man Utd

2. Chelsea

3. Liverpool

4. Arsenal

5. Spurs

Jason Roberts and Benni McCarthy (RAM) to be a very good partnerships and get around 30 goals for the season between them in all competitions.

I was right! Ignore the rest of what I said. :shifty:

• Admin

Chelsea to win it.

I think a surprise team might just edge into the top 4, Spurs or maybe Everton.

Jason Roberts and Benni McCarthy (RAM) to be a very good partnerships and get around 30 goals for the season between them in all competitions.

Sheff Utd, Pompey and maybe Man City for the drop.

Going to quote this post again when we get a UEFA cup place.

So, City in the UEFA cup eh? :shifty: