2006/2007 Hockey Season Thread

Montreal and Boston played an awesome game. The first period was boring as hell but Montreal really turned it up in the second half of the game. Latendresse put in another monster performance, but Thomas and Halak... well more Thomas than Halak because the Montreal D for once was actually very very effective, but Thomas made some crazy saves. Kovalev though. He had 5 quality scoring chances, 2 on open nets and one breakaway and he just couldn't do it. At 4.5 million a year, and the overrated Latendresse has a higher goal production than you, you're just not useful.

Looking at the situation now, I could see Bob re-signing Bonk and Johnson, then there's Markov who I hope re-signs, but between the three of them, there's going to be between 8 and 10 million in salary. Which leaves Souray on the outside as he's going to command a huge salary. Now Abby is obviously gone with Price comming up and Halak *hopefully* improving into a consistant goalie as in the 9 games he played he won his first 3, albeit with shakey performances, dropped 4 but played his last 3 rather well, his last two incredibly well. So It could be Huet and Price sharing the load next season, if Huet can recover back to the form he had Sept through Dec. this year. Obviously there's going to be a huge effort to drop Samsonov. He's not playing again this season after he said he regretted signing with the Canadiens, Carbo flipped a shit and he's done. Problem being he's got 3.5 million left on his contract for next season. So Montreal will have to settle for a low draft pick(s) or a low level prospect for Samsonov as he has no trade value, but buying out his contract would still keep his salary on us(I Believe, correct if wrong please). This still leaves Kovalev, while his contract isn't up for another year or two, at the price he commands, he really doesn't produce. Now while Montreal is a low scoring team to begin with, at least our only other 4 million dollar player is the captain. If he were to get traded in the offseason I wouldn't be too unhappy, we would have the potential to get something decent in return.

As far as playoff hopes go. I say Montreal has to win 6 of their remaining games to get in. 5 for a possibility of holding onto 8th if the cards fall into place. But I figure 6 wins in their last 8? games will do it, too bad it won't happen in all probability and that the Isles have 2 games at hand. Toronto has one, but I think that Montreal can honestly play better towards the end than the Leafs.

So whatever happens to Montreal if they make the playoffs or not, I think it's going to be a re-building off-season and year next season. The younger guys are starting to show up to play(Latendresse has played very well in his last 10-15 games) Kostitsyn now has incredible vision and great hockey sense, he's going to be a great player. Lapierre is hard working, even if he's never going to be more than a shit disturber. Plekanec, Higgins and Ryder all have the ability to score 30 goals(Ryder's already proved that) it's a matter of confidence for them. But whatever happens, this will always be a year where fans of all teams look back at Montreal as an example of a total and complete meltdown. You don't go from 4th to 11th because you're in a bad stretch, it's because your team isn't as good as you thought they were. It could be a combination of any host of things, but Montreal went from 5 points behind Buffalo and 2nd overall in the east to battling with Toronto and New York(x2) for the final playoff spot. I think we dropped because we were simply over-achieving, luck, other team ineptitude but a solidly great Powerplay through the first half of the season propelled us.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Montreal and Boston played an awesome game. The first period was boring as hell but Montreal really turned it up in the second half of the game. Latendresse put in another monster performance, but Thomas and Halak... well more Thomas than Halak because the Montreal D for once was actually very very effective, but Thomas made some crazy saves. Kovalev though. He had 5 quality scoring chances, 2 on open nets and one breakaway and he just couldn't do it. At 4.5 million a year, and the overrated Latendresse has a higher goal production than you, you're just not useful.

Looking at the situation now, I could see Bob re-signing Bonk and Johnson, then there's Markov who I hope re-signs, but between the three of them, there's going to be between 8 and 10 million in salary. Which leaves Souray on the outside as he's going to command a huge salary. Now Abby is obviously gone with Price comming up and Halak *hopefully* improving into a consistant goalie as in the 9 games he played he won his first 3, albeit with shakey performances, dropped 4 but played his last 3 rather well, his last two incredibly well. So It could be Huet and Price sharing the load next season, if Huet can recover back to the form he had Sept through Dec. this year. Obviously there's going to be a huge effort to drop Samsonov. He's not playing again this season after he said he regretted signing with the Canadiens, Carbo flipped a shit and he's done. Problem being he's got 3.5 million left on his contract for next season. So Montreal will have to settle for a low draft pick(s) or a low level prospect for Samsonov as he has no trade value, but buying out his contract would still keep his salary on us(I Believe, correct if wrong please). This still leaves Kovalev, while his contract isn't up for another year or two, at the price he commands, he really doesn't produce. Now while Montreal is a low scoring team to begin with, at least our only other 4 million dollar player is the captain. If he were to get traded in the offseason I wouldn't be too unhappy, we would have the potential to get something decent in return.

As far as playoff hopes go. I say Montreal has to win 6 of their remaining games to get in. 5 for a possibility of holding onto 8th if the cards fall into place. But I figure 6 wins in their last 8? games will do it, too bad it won't happen in all probability and that the Isles have 2 games at hand. Toronto has one, but I think that Montreal can honestly play better towards the end than the Leafs.

So whatever happens to Montreal if they make the playoffs or not, I think it's going to be a re-building off-season and year next season. The younger guys are starting to show up to play(Latendresse has played very well in his last 10-15 games) Kostitsyn now has incredible vision and great hockey sense, he's going to be a great player. Lapierre is hard working, even if he's never going to be more than a shit disturber. Plekanec, Higgins and Ryder all have the ability to score 30 goals(Ryder's already proved that) it's a matter of confidence for them. But whatever happens, this will always be a year where fans of all teams look back at Montreal as an example of a total and complete meltdown. You don't go from 4th to 11th because you're in a bad stretch, it's because your team isn't as good as you thought they were. It could be a combination of any host of things, but Montreal went from 5 points behind Buffalo and 2nd overall in the east to battling with Toronto and New York(x2) for the final playoff spot. I think we dropped because we were simply over-achieving, luck, other team ineptitude but a solidly great Powerplay through the first half of the season propelled us.

Vancouver shuts out Nashville. In other news, Vancouver is better then your favourite team. Vancouver makes your favourite team look gay.

Trap teams don't give up 30 shots a game. Try again.

Fine. They Suck at trapping.

Funny thing: An image in a Calgary newspaper the other day of a car with an Avs logo in the rearview mirror with the caption:

"WARNING: Object in mirror may be closer than it appears"

Or words to that effect

Edited by Plubby

Maybe they just suck at losing.

Unlike some teams I know.

I was looking at the teams in the Western Conference that are in the playoffs right now, there is not a single easy team in their in my opinion. Your in first place like Nashville, so your reward will be facing Calgary? The difference between the teams in the playoffs and out of the playoffs is pretty huge.

And you can't knock the Canucks. With solid goaltending, they have managed to find ways to score despite some scoring depth issues and they are making some of the best teams in the West look like pussies.

The Hockey News and The Score Forecasters both picked Vancouver to finish out of the playoffs, so yeah.

Maybe they just suck at losing.

Unlike some teams I know.

9-0-1 in the last ten makes you think you're talking about Montreal. Lolz, habz.

Toronto is ch ch ch ch ch cho o o oke... ing, really, really atrociously.