2006/2007 Hockey Season Thread

Actually, when you consider how ineffective both have been, how lackluster both of the teams have been playing, and the fact that trading a big money guy for a big money guy almost has to happen in the salary cap world, it's not as stupid as it once might have been.

It won't happen, obviously, but imagine Iginla-Spezza-Heatley.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always go into a Montreal/Toronto game expecting bad things for the Leafs after dropping two straight last year and really hurting our sprint for the final playoff spot.

This was a great game for the Leafs, however. No Raycroft and no Sundin, we still managed to put together a good performance and beat the Canadiens. McCabe had his best game of the season, playing great in his own end and really getting some good wood on the puck in the offensive zone. Aubin was great filling in for Raycroft, finally showing some of his form from last season. I went into the game with a little bit of doubt regarding the outcome, but it was a good game to watch and moved the Leafs winning streak to 4.

Brutal loss by the Canucks tonight. Matt Cooke beats Kiprusoff with the net empty but hits the post on a spin o rama backhand shot from behind the goal line. The insanity of having that tie the game would just be too awesome, but it didn't happen. With the horrible decisions made tonight I almost wonder if it's time to make a coaching change. If the Canucks absolutely must play the trap, at least we could get a Stanley Cup/Gold Medal Winner to set that trap. Or, you know, we could hire a coach who knows what the offensive zone is.

It has to suck for the Canucks. They had a 2-0 lead going into the second period, and yet they left without any points. The Flames did not outshoot them or anything. The Canucks are going to have an up and down season, I guess, since they seem to play well and horribly interchangebly.

Many times often in the same game.

The problem tonight was just Vigneault pulling on the reigns. He stopped Matt Cooke from fighting Iginla, and let's face it, as chippy and high energy as Matt Cooke is, that's a trade you should take any day of the week, and sure enough Iginla is in on the other goals, so.

Also, the Canucks tend to sit back and play the trap whenever they get a lead, and with a goalie like Kiprusoff you can't play 1-3-1. You have to keep him awake and keep him busy because every once in a while there's a crack, and if you let Calgary score and need to come back, you're fucked because he's not the kind of guy who you can score on demand against. Constant pressures, forecheck and shots on goal, can keep Calgary subdued and they'll take penalties if you forecheck hard. But the Canucks sat back and didn't do that and it makes no sense since they had clicked on the power play to open the night.

Frustrating game, lost by the coach.

I don't think sitting back on a 2 goal lead really works in the NHL now. It is much better to continue to forecheck hard and force the other team to tire out and waste time getting the puck out of their own end. Even if it does not get you shots on goal, it is worth a teams time and effort to spend time practicing how to forecheck effectively.

And any time you can take Iggy out of the game for 5 minutes, you take it. Not only does it take him out of the game, it also can get your team going.

Good god! If you don't want to win, don't bother showing up. The Habs were just not there on the PK despite being 3rd best in the league. They took, again way too many penalties and they didn't bother to work. T'ranna didn't have to try very hard to make the Habs look silly.

Barring the last game, the Canadiens PK was fantastic all this season, 3rd in the league, but if you don't play with any heart you get no results. They just floated around out there. For a team which may be smaller than the Leafs, but faster, this should definately not have happened. The game at the very least should have only been a 1 goal game to either team had the Habs showed up. Hell Aubin was in nets and we could only put one away, he's pratically afraid of the puck!

I only got to see the third period of the New Jersey vs. NY Rangers game, but from what I gather thats the only one that mattered. 3 goals in 90 seconds brought the Rangers back from a being down by 2 to winning the game 3-2.

Andrew Raycroft will not be playing on Thursday for the Leafs as Paul Maurice does not want to take any risk with his groin injury. Good news for the Leafs is that Sundin is now one week closer to return and Pavel Kubina is finally ready to return and will be in the line-up for the game on Thursday. I don't like seeing Aubin in net again, but he did well against Montreal and maybe he is getting into a groove like last season.

Poo. Because of regional blackouts, I am prevented from watching the Flames or Canucks games tonight despite getting the appropriate channels. This is so gay.

Edited by desiredtoe