2006/2007 Hockey Season Thread

If you're wondering how the Ryan Smyth trade came about;

Ryan Smyth's agent is in a meeting with Kevin Lowe. They sit down, and hammer out a deal, worth around 5 million a season for four years (probably three and an option, this is what I heard). The deal goes well for both sides and his agent leaves to tell Smyth. Kevin Lowe meanwhile talks to his owners and they come to the conclusion that they can't afford the deal. Lowe, realizing if he backs out now, Smyth tells him to GFH and leaves as a UFA, decides he needs some kind of compensation. He goes back to a couple of weeks back and returns some phone calls, and without a lot of time left, doesn't have time to shop around.

Smyth, supposedly from Mike Brophy's lips to gods ears, is not happy. I would be somewhat suprised, if the above is close to the truth, if Smyth ever comes back to Edmonton.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're wondering how the Ryan Smyth trade came about;

Ryan Smyth's agent is in a meeting with Kevin Lowe. They sit down, and hammer out a deal, worth around 5 million a season for four years (probably three and an option, this is what I heard). The deal goes well for both sides and his agent leaves to tell Smyth. Kevin Lowe meanwhile talks to his owners and they come to the conclusion that they can't afford the deal. Lowe, realizing if he backs out now, Smyth tells him to GFH and leaves as a UFA, decides he needs some kind of compensation. He goes back to a couple of weeks back and returns some phone calls, and without a lot of time left, doesn't have time to shop around.

Smyth, supposedly from Mike Brophy's lips to gods ears, is not happy. I would be somewhat suprised, if the above is close to the truth, if Smyth ever comes back to Edmonton.

I don't think it's as much about affording to pay that much as it is about salary cap issues. Smyth isn't REALLY a superstar calibre forward, first liner yes, top star no, and it's kind of hard to justify paying him upwards of $5.5 M per year for five years. He's a 60 point scorer. Also, Sykora will be a free agent this summer, too.

There's a lot of rumors going around as to what was being offered for Smyth, and I'm hearing almost every number since I live in Edmonton (mood of the city is pretty low today from what I've seen). And I agree, I don't think Smyth as a player is worth that much.....but when he is the face of the team, then maybe he is.

It's the same idea as Koivu gettin four and a half million per year in Montreal. He's a 60-70 point scorer on the team, but since 99 or so he's been THE face of the team which is why we pay probably a million and a half or so too much for him.

Also, as much as I hate Toronto so goddamned much(It's not their team so much as their fans), I really do want to see Montreal and Toronto both make the playoffs for the incredibly, incredibly, incredibly small chance of a Montreal-Toronto playoff match up at some point.

Edited by The Sultan of Swank

It's not just numbers with Ryan Smyth, it was the way he played for the team and the way he led them. Wasn't it earlier this season he lost three teeth, just to get them packed in and go back onto the ice?

Smyth really did not want to leave, judging by his speech at the airport. If they were only $300,000 apart, that is pretty bad.

A part of this may be because of last year. I think the Oilers may have painted themselves into a corner, overpaying for some of their players like Fernando Pisani.

Edited by desiredtoe

I don't think money was the big issue. Don Meehan said a lot of things, and it's hard to get a read on him, but he said that the differences were "not just money".

You can argue that Smyth isn't a 5.5 million dollar player, but when Alex Tanguay is a 5.2 million dollar player who is sucking balls as an inconsitent french fag on a filthy trap team, it makes Ryan Smyth a 7 million dollar player, surely.

I mean, this is a guy who has captained team Canada, led his team to game 7 of the Stanley Cup, so get rid of him? Why?

Like Don Meehan said, the trade deadline was less important to Ryan Smyth then it was to Kevin Lowe. When Lowe couldn't get a deal done, he made a panic deal. That's the bottom line.

That deal was pretty close to nothing at all, keeping in mind the player they sent away.

Smyth is no point-per-game guy (even though he WAS this year), but he is heart and soul. He plays gritty two way hockey, and essentially Stevie Y without the incredible offence years. If Tanguay got 5.2 mil, then Smyth deserved to get 5.5 or 5.7, no doubt.

Oh well, what's done is done. The Oilers fucked up in a lot of peoples eyes, but I can see where Lowe was coming from with the trade (better get something then nothing....unless you count STDS).

Well, I'm hoping the Penguins can do well with their new enforcer protecting Sid the Kid, I'm expecting good things from them in the playoffs. Same with the Leafs, assuming they make it...which they better.

It is going to be tough for the Leafs to make, especially with the next five games including the Devils, Sabres, and two games with the Senators. However, Montreal and Carolina have not done anything to increase their leads on the Leafs, so Toronto has a chance if they can get going here. It will be tough, but if they can come out of the next 5 games with a winning record, then they have a great shot at the playoffs.

A good start. Something that is few and far between for Andrew Raycroft. :P