2006/2007 Hockey Season Thread

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Mr. Potato Head

And because I haven't posted enough in here yet - :shifty: - click here for Jay Onrait's annual TradeCentre blog, which is funny/interesting provided you're in on the TSN in-jokes and watched their coverage through most of the day.

I realize that, I love Canada, I'm not saying he's probably bitter he has to go there or anything like that. The point was, and I guess I didn't elaborate enough, Hedlund loves it here. Last offseason though he didn't know if he'd get a contract because they didn't want him back. Then they needed him in the end and he got a one year deal. I think they were waiting to get rid of him and now they probably think they're rid of him for good. He's not that great of a player, I don't know why Washington took him.

And yea after checking it again, he ended up going to Washington acctually.

I would be careful insulted the Leafs drafting. Sure, they have made some bad moves, but it was good drafting that gave them the ability to make this deal by way of Brendan Bell. They drafted this defensive depth that helped earlier in the season when everyone was going down hurt.

I like that Ferguson grew a pair this year and actually made a move for a player that can help. Last year was dissapointing, because Richardson was no upgrade on Klee and Suglobov does not look like an NHL player. Perreault can help on the face offs and I love that I can claim that the Leafs have two all-stars on the roster now.

No idea on the pick yet, but I've seen reports Detroit also picked up Marty Lapointe. I'd like to see some sort of note of them being official... Apperantly Norstrom got dealt to Anaheim too. And somehow, a half hour after the deadline Calgary and Nashville are trying to pry Blake from NY... :blink: :huh:

I like that Ferguson grew a pair this year and actually made a move for a player that can help. Last year was dissapointing, because Richardson was no upgrade on Klee and Suglobov does not look like an NHL player. Perreault can help on the face offs and I love that I can claim that the Leafs have two all-stars on the roster now.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Anybody can draft a core of players that are fringe NHLers at best, which is all that Brendan Bell, Jay Harrison, Ian White et al. are.

And Detroit's intentionally being vague about what pick they gave up, I think it's conditional based on how well they do in the playoffs.

The first two I'll give you, but Ian White? He's been making strides this season, isn't it his first real major league experience? I've also heard that the pick depends on how well they do, it'll be very interesting to see what it ends up being.

And oh what the fuck Smyth to Long Island what the fuck what the fuck

Edited by Be

Wow....I was shocked to hear Smyth traded.......these Edmonton fans I live around will not be happy. But there is a chance he'll come back in the summer since his contract expires. I was hoping for the Leafs to make a few trades personally....but oh well, cannot be helped now.

Apperantly Norstrom ended up going to Dallas, good pick up for them. Surprised about the Smyth deal, but did NY overpay? I don't know much about their prospects their sending the other way, but two prospects and a first rounder for Smyth, I don't know... Also Dennis Wideman got traded for Brad Boyes...

Apperantly Norstrom ended up going to Dallas, good pick up for them. Surprised about the Smyth deal, but did NY overpay? I don't know much about their prospects their sending the other way, but two prospects and a first rounder for Smyth, I don't know... Also Dennis Wideman got traded for Brad Boyes...

Ryan Smith in Long Island. Holy fuck. The backlash of this now is that nobody knew Ryan was on the market and GM's are now claiming that they would have dished out a healthy return for Smyth.

And I think Ian White has earned the right to be excluded from a list off fringe players like Harrison and Bell. White still has learning to do and he may never be a part of a first or second pairing D-man, but he has potential to be at least a solid fifth/sixth defenseman. I hope they hang onto White, I personally think he has potential to fill some of the void of defensive depth. With Kubina and McCabe on big money contracts, it's going to be interesting how long Kaberle or even Hal Gill stick around. If White keeps on developing, he could be a more important part of the Leafs defense in the future than many think.

The Islanders got Smyth for cheap here. The pick will be like the 20th in a poor draft, Nielsen is nothing to talk about, and O'Marra can be a good player. Smyth is a great, star player in the NHL and can be a big catalyst in the Islanders making the playoffs and going past round one.

And Ruki, the Leafs did add Yanic Perreault. Top face off guy in the NHL for years, he brings some good offensive ability and adds good depth at the center position.

I guess, but I was hoping for a few more. I personally want them to get rid of Sundin....could have picked up a good player or two for him. But that's just me......and any idea when Tucker will be back from injury?

Ryan Smith in Long Island. Holy fuck. The backlash of this now is that nobody knew Ryan was on the market and GM's are now claiming that they would have dished out a healthy return for Smyth.

And I think Ian White has earned the right to be excluded from a list off fringe players like Harrison and Bell. White still has learning to do and he may never be a part of a first or second pairing D-man, but he has potential to be at least a solid fifth/sixth defenseman. I hope they hang onto White, I personally think he has potential to fill some of the void of defensive depth. With Kubina and McCabe on big money contracts, it's going to be interesting how long Kaberle or even Hal Gill stick around. If White keeps on developing, he could be a more important part of the Leafs defense in the future than many think.

Edited by desiredtoe

Odds are that Lowe is going to do his damndest to clear cap space at the end of this season and Smyth will come back for the money that he's asking. Other teams will likely offer more, but I don't see Smyth taking it.

Be, if you're still wondering, Detroit's pick sent to Florida is conditional based on their performance in the playoffs and Bertuzzi's performance individually. I believe that if they reach the Conference finals and Bertuzzi puts up good numbers, it's a guaranteed first rounder.