Football Manager 2007

Dan

Lost Soul, it's not that bad, Eddie Johnson is perhaps one of the most prolific goalscorers on the game and can be achieve cheap (like 2m or something).

I managed to somehow pick him up for Stevenage in Leaguie two for less then a mil. He's been doiong his job getting us the goals, problem has been a leaky defence who seem to let in more then he can score. Decided to counter that by just being more attacking and getting involved in higher scoring wins. Managed to knock us up to 8th so next season I'm sure we'll go well.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just had something like that. I'm certain that Agger's last deal ran out in June 2010 (I'm now in July 2009) so I offered him a contract until June 2014, which he accepted, and on the news screen it said something like:

"Daniel Agger has signed a new 5 year contract worth approximately £9,000,000, which expires in 2014. Agger, whose last contract expired in 2014, has said that he signed the contract because he was ready to commit his future to the club."

Obviously worded slightly differently than the game worded it, but number one his old contract would've ran out in 2010, not 2014, and number two, even if his last contract was set to run out in 2014, how would he be commiting himself by signing a contract of equal length to the last one? Deary me.

Sold Georgie Boyd for circa 300K and a couple of cup runs and promotion without spending anything then picked him up at the end of the first season on the transfer list.

Just double checked signing value £350k + signing on fee of 30% from Bradford who got him on a freebie. Had very bad luck with injuries. Broken ankle out for 3 months, broken wrist for 2 months and a few strains for 3 weeks/month at a time so I guess all the injuries led to them seeing him surpluss to requirements. Only had a couple of week long absences for us so been lucky so far.

Argh! I took over the Arsenal job in 2015 after taking a hiatus from managing (read: simmed a season) and I was given a lofty transfer kitty of £140M. It turns out I really need that £140M because the team is full of average regens, ancient players from 06/07 that are verging on retirement and one or two English gems. I've ended up spending £70M for a total of nine players and I can't win a game because the entirely revamped team haven't gelled yet which is really affecting their performances. :@

EDIT: The team's also lacking in a proficient striker. I've got a mature Ben Sahar who can score the occasional goal, an aging Yakubu that's become average over the years, Reyes being a whiny bitch and an Austrian striker with with great stats in the right areas for a striker but still can't hit the back of a barn with a goddamned banjo.

Edited by Zach Galifianakulex

Ugh, started a game on the update with Atlético Madrid.

Torres is only worth 18m or something now :(

He's still awesome though, why would you want to sell him?

Because I can replace him with a striker who is almost as good and about 4 others good players to boot.

Why is everyone (well two people) saying about the editor? What am I missing?

Also does anyone know how I can get my hands on approach up? Rockbox said he thinks it may need you to take control of the senior, reserve and U21/20/19 squad, which is probably a good reason, but does anyone know any other ways and know if that is true? It's depressing mine is 5 >_<

Try to have a hand in as many things as possible within the club. The daily operations etc. Try to do something with the reserve / youth team. Do all the contract renewels with youngsters, instead of your assistant. Ask for feeder clubs, send out scouts all over the world on a constant basis, because real clubs do that.

What is the whole "tapping up" thing? I mean, I've never really managed to get the hang of it.

Tapping up is basically going into the Player Interactions screen of a player that you want to buy, and telling people you want to buy him.

If you're lucky, he'll get all excited and start demanding a transfer. If you're not, he'll say he's not interested, and his manager will have a hissy fit, making your chances of ever signing him practically nil :P

It can work well if you're his favoured club, or if he's unhappy at his current club. If you're much bigger than his current club, it's pretty pointless because you can probably sign him pretty easily anyway. It's most useful if someone like Spurs have a potential megastar, and you want him at Man United. Spurs aren't likely to let him go without a fight, but if you let the player know you're interested, and he wants to join you, it'll make it a lot harder for them to keep hold of him.

I've only done it succesfully once, when I wanted Bobby Zamora to come back to Spurs.

Edited by Farmer Reil

I think it's a little more intricate than just declaring interest though. I think you can build it up, praising his recent performances, say you think he's good, declaring your interest etc.

Apparently certain times you can declare interest and then pick the player up for almost half the price nearly. Not entirely sure on that though.

The usual tactic I use is to praise him and then wait to see if he responds positively. If he does, declare interest, wait a while and then bid. If the club rejects it, he'll usually get angry, declare himself unhappy at the manager or even demand a transfer. Then you're in business.

Edited by Jimmy the Exploder

Yea, that's annoying when you go to your scouts list of players and you see someone with about 10 stars for potential and you're like "Woah! I gotta get this guy!". Then you click on him and he's 39.