What music are you listening to?

Benji

New Strokes album is mostly great. This is the follow-up album to Is This It? and Room on Fire that First Impressions of Earth completely failed at being.

The new Tim Hecker album, Ravedeath 1972. Very soothing ambient soundscapes with a slight emptiness to them; this is what endless rolling dunes would sound like. If you know Boards Of Canada, think them meeting the end of the world.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been mostly listening to The Extra Lens this week, having decided to inhale as much John Darnielle as possible.

I touted Brothers a while ago when I first got my hands on it, and I haven't stopped liking it since. Solid 8/10 as, while there's some stuff on there I don't get the hype for - 'Unknown Brother', for example - there's nothing actively bad on offer and the good stuff is properly good. Recommend: 'Howlin' For You', 'Everlasting Light', 'Tighten Up'.

I just started listening to the Indie/Rock Playlist. I went through the March list and now I'm going through the April list. So far, it has made me seek more music from these bands which I hadn't heard of before:

The Asteroid Galaxy Tour

David Wax Museum

The Death Set

Frankie & the Heartstrings

Fishboy

Little Comets

Man Man

Mother Mother

I'm even looking at going to a Death Set concert in Baltimore next month :)

On a try-out of Spotify Premium, so I've started with Explosions in the Sky's new album. Not a great start as Spotify won't allow you to play the final track. Which is ten minutes long. And there's only six tracks anyway. The album itself is wuvely though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

New Art Brut song is disappointing. I am not a fan of Eddie Argos sing-whispering when he's such a good sing-talker, and it just feels muted all over.

Nirvana's "Bleach". Yeah, I know, I'm late to the party, but it wasn't up on Spotify and didn't want to download it (plus, as has been said before, Grohl-less drums aren't as good).

But it's awesome. Just so simple, which is what I like best about Nirvana. There is no other feeling like listening to a Nirvana album for the first time. It's a shame that Cobain was such a selfish prick and killed himself robbing me of never hearing new material. :shifty:

Speaking of Nirvana, Miley Cyrus' cover of Smells Like Teen Spirit is hilarious. Mostly because everyone is raging so much over it.

Listening to Death Grips' Exmilitary; god damn, this is some heavy shit. Samples from the weirdest places, the angriest frontman, crushing rap album.

Not listening to any specific album or groups, but I've started listening to Fusion radio lately. If you use iTunes, under Radio, look for Fusion Radio Chicago under the Electronica section.

I just listened to the new Gorillaz album after finding out about it just yesterday. Shame I only found out recently. It's been out for four months already.

It was a fan club exclusive at first, but they decided to eventually release it to everyone else. Impressive thing is that apparently Damon recorded it using an iPad in hotel rooms while on tour rather than in a studio.

Edited by GhostMachine

• 2 weeks later...

Brilliant! Tragic! by Art Brut

Dear Eddie Argos,

This isn't "Rusted Guns of Milan" so please stop sing-whispering.

Love,

GoGo

Man do I wish I liked this album more than I do thusfar. First Art Brut album I've ever been underwhelmed by.

"Sealand" is a good song, "Axl Rose" is a good concept, but like... Frank Black's influence on the album is frustratingly obvious. No more albums with him, Art Brut, he's ruining you.