What music are you listening to?

Benji

Did the Jesus Lizard redo Scratch Acid's "Cannibal" in any form? This is the first time I can ever remember listening to Scratch Acid but I swear the Jesus Lizard have one very very similar, like exactly... maybe someone else covered it, but it certainly sounds like the same singer I remember.

Ramesses's The Tomb. Classic. Also, fuck everyone against crazy metal lyrics, "Antiversal shifts of ominiversal horror!" is awesome. If I start a metal band again, all my lyrics will be written high as fuck and with three thesauruses open.

Been going through a lot of metal tonight, especially two of the bands I discovered last weekend; Iniquity and Saturnus, both two of the best Danish metal bands you have never heard of. I had heard Five Across The Eyes before, Iniquity's sophomore album which is full on technical death metal, but I had no idea they used to be a death/doom band and actually really very rather good at it. Serenadium is definetely something I would recommend to all fans of the more heavier and slower side of metal and, if you ask me, it is certainly one of the best Danish metal albums of all. Now, Saturnus are a bit of a different story. They have this Agalloch and Ahab versus David Gilmour style going but they started well before the metal-related bands mentioned, like, almost a decade before both. They have four albums and so far I've listened to two of them; Martyre and Paradise Belongs to You and both are really good; like, they are slow, heavy, doomy to the core but have this touch of melody and melancholy and it just goes great with the lead singer who switches between deep growls, chanting and clean vocals.

And at the moment, I am listened to Ascend's Ample Fire Within, the collaboration between Eagle Twin's Gentry Densley and Sunn O)))'s Greg Anderson. I am broken record here because that album is kicking my ass. As much as I like Sunn O))), it can sometimes get tedious to listen to. Ascend clears this up with adding drums, chanting and all sorts of things, probably because of the madness that is Densley, and it just works so well over Anderson's guitar sound. On my list to listen to afterwards is Wormsblood. Lots and lots of Wormsblood.

Streaming the new Deftones album at work this morning. Two tracks in, already amazing.

And the rest of it: amazing.

Onto the new Soundgarden album. Also enjoying it. Can't imagine listening to it too often because, despite having three of their albums, they're a C-List band for me. A band I only listen to once in a blue moon.

I tried to stream the Deftones album the other day, but wasn't allowed as I'm a dirty non-American. :/

I posted in the 2012 thread about how Soundgarden's album came yesterday and I like it. It's not on par with Badmotorfinger (it's completely different to be honest) or Superunknown, but it's still good. Stylistically, I'd say it's somewhere between Superunknown, DOTU, Cornell's Euphoria Morning and a little bit of latter Audioslave. I saw a video of Rowing live and it's pretty good how they pulled it off.

As I said, it's a good album, but thus far, Gaslight Anthem's Handwritten is still my favourite of the year.

I have been listening to James Blood Ulmer's Black Rock several times over the course of the day and I am really loving it. I love how he and his band just keep going from head-bopping funky compositions to bluesy creations to just completely freeform avant-garde stuff. Given more time, I am 100% sure that he will become one of my favorite artists. Thanks go to KONGO for pointing me in his direction, really appreciate it. I also re-listened to Matterhorn's Vol. 1. The World Began Without Man... EP that they released last year and it is still as great as it was when it came out. Really just unrelenting thick instrumental post- and sludge metal that just gives no fucks.

New Crystal Castles album. Not sure about it to be honest. The production is deliberately shit so I can accept that aspect of their sound, but they've seemingly decided to go political by making their music way, way softer. Plus I miss the Nintendocore stuff.

Thoroughly combing through SG's "King Animal". Definitely top ten AotY material, but I dunno if it will crack what is a very difficult top five. "By Crooked Steps" is easily a standout track, though hell, I can't say there is a bad song anywhere on the disc. I would argue that it helps to listen sequentially. Feels conceptually different from something like Fall Out Boy's "Infinity On High", where everything seemed like it was meant to be a single. This one actually feels like an album.

Thoroughly combing through SG's "King Animal". Definitely top ten AotY material, but I dunno if it will crack what is a very difficult top five. "By Crooked Steps" is easily a standout track, though hell, I can't say there is a bad song anywhere on the disc. I would argue that it helps to listen sequentially. Feels conceptually different from something like Fall Out Boy's "Infinity On High", where everything seemed like it was meant to be a single. This one actually feels like an album.

I find this to be the case with Soundgarden albums in general. For example, 4th of July is probably my favourite song of there's, as great as it is on it's own, it's much more powerful in the context of the album (I generally consider it the closer of the album considering Half is filler and Like Suicide (and the bonus track She Likes Surprises) don't stand out much after that song).