What music are you listening to?

Benji

People might laugh at your tattoos

When they do get new ones in completely garish hues.

I discovered this is about Amy Winehouse. It's wonderful.

• Like 1

It Is I, one of my favorites of B-league sludge. This is Tom Choi who used to be in Sleep with his first band. Always said that each person took a bit of Sleep with them to their new bands. Matt Pike took Holy Mountain, Cisneros/Hakius took Jerusalem/Dopesmoker, and Tom Choi took Volume 1. So this is just some raw and grimy sludge meant to be played in the warehouse that was abandoned three years ago when it caught fire.

Very fun band, the Drops. If they're anywhere near you, it's worth a visit.

Was feeling in a musical rut, so I went back and delved deeper into the Black Keys, Band of Skulls and Interpol. I enjoy the Keys and Skulls for similar reasons, but I completely whiffed on Interpol's self-titled. That is a damn fine album.

Also spun Muse's "2nd Law", which I won't spend money on but have zero regrets checking out. The new Heart is better than I expected (with a Sarah McLachlan cameo :o ), but there are only a couple of tracks I would actually keep.

Spinning the new Coheed today with lowered expectations. The single just didn't click with me at all, but perhaps the rest of the album is worth my time.

I think I finally get Captain Beefheart. It took me years to really enjoy his work, but I've now fallen in love with Safe as Milk and the work he did with Frank Zappa. I don't know why it is either, I have been trying for years to get into stuff like Trout Mask Replica and Lick My Decals Off Baby since it seems to be his best known work. I kept trying because I love weird shit, and I'm glad I was persistent. I really dig his work now, glad I didn't give up.

I like a bunch of Beefheart, but two of his most normal songs are my favorites: "Her Eyes Are a Blue Million Miles" which is a serious contender for my favorite song ever and "White Jam" which is great until he jumps back into being regular weird Beefheart.

Halestorm's debut album, and their new one, "The Strange Case Of...". My friend introduced me to them a few months back, I've been listening to them non stop. They're great. Mz. Hyde, Daughters of Darkness, I Miss The Misery, and I Get Off are probably my favourite songs off both albums. Give them a listen.

The new Wallflowers album deserves a cursory nod. Nothing life-changing, but nothing offensively bad.

Edit: Concerning the new Coheed, the only song that has any staying power with me is "The Afterman". It is this album's "Far", but Claudio just does so well with that type of song that I can't help but recommend it.

Double Edit: Ooooo, new Pinback album! Count me in.

I think I finally get Captain Beefheart. It took me years to really enjoy his work, but I've now fallen in love with Safe as Milk and the work he did with Frank Zappa. I don't know why it is either, I have been trying for years to get into stuff like Trout Mask Replica and Lick My Decals Off Baby since it seems to be his best known work. I kept trying because I love weird shit, and I'm glad I was persistent. I really dig his work now, glad I didn't give up.

Same for me! I tried Trout Mask Replica first and didn't enjoy it at all, but I loved Safe As Milk the first time I listened to it. It's a good foundation to get into TMR as well.

I've been going through my small vinyl collection this morning. So far I've listened to:

51ZqPCspJeL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Jack White - Blunderbuss

51PQCJ840kL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

REO Speedwagon - You Can Tune a Piano, but You Can't Tuna Fish

51iwyUTpggL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Ozzy Osbourne - Diary of a Mad Man

51AEF49DXNL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Montrose - Warner Brothers Presents...Montrose!

4d0bf20a6535c_26865b.jpg

Journey to Infinity

You might be able to pick up that I buy all of my cheap records based on the cover art.