What music are you listening to?

Benji

Hole were so much more than "Courtney Love's band". They were Courtney Love & Erik's band, and once upon a time it actually seemed like they might matter.

People talk about how Courtney Love is evil and tried to derail Nirvana, when in actuality she pretty much sidelined her own incredibly promising music career for Kurt, and never recovered - instead resorting to recording songs written by Billy Corgan, and worse.

Hole circa Doll Parts were fucking brilliant, and one of the only bands associated with the "Riot Grrrl" to show any real lasting promise.

As for what I'm listening to; I have been listening to Loudon Wainwright III's "Older Than My Old Man Now", which is brilliant, but what I came here to post about was "WhoCares" by Ian Gillan & Tony Iommi. It's fucking brilliant - a collection of obscure, and some unreleased, Gillan & Iommi tracks, and multiple collaborations, including some awesome out-takes from Gillan's time in Sabbath, and two tracks by WhoCares; a band comprised of Gillan, Iommi, Jason Newsted, Jon Lord and Nicko McBrain, who fucking rock.

All the new Green Day stuff that has leaked out is wonderful. Yes, I'm incredibly biased, but even those who cry for a return to Dookie should be pleased with some of this stuff.

All the new Green Day stuff that has leaked out is wonderful. Yes, I'm incredibly biased, but even those who cry for a return to Dookie should be pleased with some of this stuff.

What about those who cry for Green Day to dissolve as a band and retire from music? :shifty:

• Like 7

Having just got access back to the iTunes store for the first time in several weeks, am currently loading up mp3 player with a tonne of electro swing from the likes of Caravan Palace (e.g. Suzy, Brotherswing), Parov Stelar (e.g. Catgroove, Libella Swing), etc. You know, for some reason.

I saw Caravan Palace play at a festival a few years ago. I had no idea who they were at the time, but they were damn entertaining.

I fucking love electro swing. I could listen to it all day. Good choices too, stoker!

Any other such bands that demand checking out?

The only other electro swing I listen to is Nicolas Repac. Swing-Swing is a nice album.

I fucking love electro swing. I could listen to it all day. Good choices too, stoker!

Any other such bands that demand checking out?

Electro Swing sadly hasn't had many years to develop since most of it has been one off hits, so Caravan Palace and Parov Stelar are really the only solid artists out there. Klaus Waldeck has sort of dabbled with electro swing on some tracks (and on his album Ballroom Stories) but there isn't much; honestly, the most you'll get is finding some compilations from stuff like Freshly Squeezed Music (they had a compilation album named White Mink with some obscenely long subtitle) and Wagram Music has released two compilations named Electro Swing Vol. 1 and Vol. 2. Get to it though, it is really fun seeing a genre's rise.

Also, unrelated to electro swing, I got around to listening to The Birthday Party's Junkyard and Mutiny/The Bad Seed compilation and I really liked it. It reminded me of a gritty post punk version of Grinderman and I honestly enjoyed more than Murder Ballads; which was, on all accounts, still an album I would listen to again but I definetely think I have to dive deeper into The Bad Seeds discography before I am completely pulled in. The Birthday Party has really enticed me though, I have had to stop myself from getting their entire discography a few times now. A thank you go to Skummy and yes, I really did like "Release the Bats" and "Mutiny in Heaven".

What about those who cry for Green Day to dissolve as a band and retire from music? :shifty:

I want more Foxboro Hot Tubs.

Checking out the Branford Marsalis Quartet's latest. Everyone's been making a huge roar about Justin Faulkner joining them, and I'm just not getting why yet. He has a light touch, but the whole effort is fleeting and light. He holds it down, but there is very little room to stretch out here. Good background music, but I can't see myself revisiting this anytime soon.