What music are you listening to?

Benji

I've been listening to a lot of Bruce Springsteen lately, getting ready for his big gig at Roskilde Festival. So far The Wild, The Innocent & The E Street Shuffle is my favorite; the thick blues and jazz influences are just right up my alley. Born To Run is really epic also although, as a jazz fan, I enjoy the previous one more. I've also got Human Touch and Lucky Town laying, I know those are considered to be his weakest albums but those and Wrecking Ball were all we had at the shop so, yeah. Besides Born In The U.S.A, are there any other of this albums that are worth listening to?

Also, I threw on my old Primus albums and it seems like that whenever I want to listen to Primus, I end up listening to nothing BUT Primus for a day or two; Sailing The Seas Of Cheese really is one of the best records of the 90's.

Just listened to Black Breath's Sentenced to Life. Pretty solid.

Checking out Horseback's Half Blood. The black metal vocals are insanely distracting. Otherwise very very good. It's almost like someone else doing what Earth is doing now.

Scrolled straight past the new Linkin Park, Offspring, and whatever else to get to the new Jesca Hoop. Only 48 mins. and the first half is amazingly strong, definitely on par with her previous album. The second half slows down a bit, but there are some great moments. I can't say it will be in my year-end best-of list, but I can't say it won't, either.

Joined in on the /mu/ listen-alongs for Radiohead's OK Computer and Neutral Milk Hotel's On Avery Island earlier in the evening. OK Computer had real interesting experimental and progressive parts but the whole was brought down in a blaze of glory with "Electioneering"; I really couldn't stand that track at all. This was also the first time I listened to this album so my expectations were high since it is seemingly considered a classic. But again, almost all of the tracks had my interests but that one song just put a damper on my excitement. As I expected, Radiohead will never be something I will consistently listen to, since I had already heard In Rainbows and The King Of Limbs before this and neither of those really interested me at all.

Now, Neutral Milk Hotel and Jeff Mangum has a gigantic following on /mu/, almost obsessive to the point of frightening, so I have of course listened to In the Aeroplane over the Sea before. However, despite not being bad at all, that record just never caught my fancy; it has some nice, simple, effective songwriting and some good toe-tapper tunes but I was never taken by it as some other people have been. On Avery Island is a completely different story though. That album is fucking hypnotic and really shows how great Mangum's songwriting skills can work when the band actually gets some input in as well; it also has some really beautiful and seamless transitions that just amaze me so much. So yeah, that album basically changed my entire perspective of Neutral Milk Hotel and I might even listen to In the Aeroplane over the Sea again.

Ha. Electioneering is the only song I like on that album. It has a nice groove.

Maybe we shouldn't be Super on last.fm at all!

Honestly, the song itself is fine; it has a nice groove, yes, and it has punch. It is just so awkward on OK Computer, it doesn't fit in at all, and that just ruins the song and the album for me because OK Computer sets up a really eerie mood throughout the first part and gets downright haunting with "Fitter, Happier". But that followed up by "Electioneering" just destroys all the investment I had in it and it doesn't seem that is what Radiohead were going for.

I think Electrioneering is used as a break of sorts in the album. I actually think it works really great in the album because of the reasons you didn't like it above. Different strokes for different folks.

I think Electrioneering is used as a break of sorts in the album. I actually think it works really great in the album because of the reasons you didn't like it above. Different strokes for different folks.

Yeah, exactly. When we had the big listen-along there was a huge difference in opinion regarding that song and how it worked with the album (well, also the entire album in question, honestly).

I have always misheard the chorus lyric of "Born With Big Hands" by Orange Goblin, but I still think the song is a lot more interesting if it's "He's not your average fancy man, 'cause he was born with big ol' hands!"

Listening to Gaslight Anthem's '59 Sound a fair bit recently, the title track more than the other songs on it.

And also listened to Delphic's album again, and found I liked Submission from it. The

is a lot better though, it doesn't get drowned in synth like the studio version I find.