What music are you listening to?

Benji

Getting hyped for the new Fang Island album. Such an amazing band, so positive and full of life and energy. Their cover of Always Be My Baby by Mariah Carey literally makes me cry with joy haha

Edited by Matticus

Checking out the new albums from Sara Watkins and Keane, as well as the new single from Fiona Apple (who, coincidentally, shows up on the Watkins album). Will report back once I get through 'em.

Edit: add the new Silversun Pickups to that list, too. Thus far, the Sara Watkins album leads the pack, though SP has some good grooves this time around.

There's not a single standout track from the Keane album, save for maybe "You Are Young" -- and even that's a stretch. It's music to fold your laundry to, nothing more.

Silversun Pickups' "Neck Of The Woods" is what you would normally expect from them, as well. I feel like they've lost their melodic motivation. There are some solid grooves, but the urgency that made songs like "Well Thought Out Twinkles" or "Panic Switch" work is missing.

Sara Watkins' latest sounds like Jesca Hoop minus the electronic elements, which is perfectly fine by me. Fiona Apple's appearance is a particular highlight, plus her single's pretty cool.

Alternately, there's a new Stevie Wonder four-disc collection out that is a nice compendium for anyone not intimately familiar with his work. You owe it to yourself to get schooled by Dr. Wonder.

Cobalt's "Gin" is amazing black metal. The fusion with the thick sound of sludge metal just got to me immediately. You should get a hold of "Eater of Birds" if you liked "Gin", because that album is god damn amazing. The title track is one of the best black metal tracks I've heard in forever.

Yeah, I'm not as deep into black metal so I definitely identified it with sludge first. I dunno, after the first track shock n' roll nothing really made me stop and rock out, but a few more listens could open the album up more.

EDIT: Also, searching for Cobalt on Spotify and not finding it makes me want to name a band after their suggestion: Combat Gun.

Great electronic releases. Lone, Squarepusher, Shackleton... this has been a really strong year for electronic releases.

Liturgy's Aesthetica. I feel like opinion's pretty split on this one but I liked it. Am also a fan of Krallice, though, so it's somewhat up my alley.

This reminds me that I need to listen to "Diotima" again.

Liturgy's Aesthetica. I feel like opinion's pretty split on this one but I liked it. Am also a fan of Krallice, though, so it's somewhat up my alley.

This reminds me that I need to listen to "Diotima" again.

Actually, my like for Krallice decreased album by album. Their first is still brilliant, though, especially "Energy Chasms."

I was going to listen to Silversun Pickup's new album the other day on MTV' website. Until I got shouted at for not being American. <_<

I tried listening to Odd Future and Tyler, the Creator recently, but I just can't get into them. I'm not a fan of Tyler's voice/flow and "horror" rap, if that makes sense. Though I did find "Drop" by Earl Sweatshirt, and that is awesome.

Simian Mobile Disco's new album, Unpatterns. Definitely album of the year contender. Seriously addictive stuff. Not overtly poppy like their first two albums and not too tech-house like their last album, it is definitely a merge of their two identities, having equal parts pop and electronic/tech/house on the record. High recommendation from me.

Edited by RockPaperScissors

Corrupted. "Garten Der Unbewusstheit" is slowly but surely becoming one of my favorite releases from last year. "Gekkou no Daichi" is just a mammoth of a song and it hits me in all the right places. Now I am going to listen to the "Se Hace Por Los Suenos Aesinoes" LP again. If you like doom metal and have never heard Corrupted (which you probably have if you like doom or sludge metal), you should make it a priority to go check them out right now because they own so many bones.

Peeking behind Battles to see what makes them tick. First stop had to be Tyondai Braxton's solo work, where I came across this neat little ditty from his latest album. You can see that he gave Battles their more off-kilter effects and was definitely the stamp that gave "Atlas" its charm. Hate to see him leave, but if it means we get "Gloss Drop" and more albums like Braxton's "Central Market", I think I'll be okay.