What music are you listening to?

Benji

Brian Wilson has actually been amazing for the past couple of years - his solo material used to be pretty patchy at best, but his last two or three albums have been fantastic. And "Surf's Up" is indeed magnificent.

Today, I have listened to the "new" Joey Ramone album. It's mostly forgettable, and my favourite tracks - "Make Me Tremble" and the new version of "Merry Christmas (I Don't Want To Fight Tonight)" - I'd already heard, and I wish there was a little more of that, and less of the bog-standard rock stuff. It's nice, though. Generally, it follows the rule of almost all "lost" and "previously unreleased" albums - if it was better, it would have been released by now.

Currently listening to Public Image Limited's new one, and I'm not sure. It kind of sounds like any number of indie bands that have ripped PiL off over the last ten years, rather than actually sounding like new PiL. It's far from their worst, but thus far nothing's jumped out at me. Lydon's voice is fantastic on it, though.

Checking out the new Sigur Ros this week. Revisiting the Gotye album to see if the rampant over-playing of "Somebody That I Used To Know" has affected my opinion of the entire work. It most certainly has not, as "Save Me" still ranks as one of my favorite songs of the last five years.

Edit: Opted to give the new Public Image Ltd. disc a spin. Johnny Rotten is your new Grace Slick...too bad it's 1990s Grace Slick. Pleasantly surprised (thus far, only about a third of the way through) by the new Melody Gardot album, though.

Listening to "This is Not A Love Song" by PiL. Probably the worst track ever in terms of production, but I'll be damned if it's not a great track. Need to check out their new album.

That song's a pretty good barometer. The songs are not terrible, but if they spent more than $1.50 on production costs, I'll be a monkey's uncle.

Edit: Sigur Ros' "Fjögur píanó" is like if The Cranberries' "Linger" and The Outfield's "Your Love" had a sweet, mellow baby. I approve.

The new PiL album's weird. I can't make my mind up on it. It kind of veers towards the more "tribal" sound they had around Flowers Of Romance, with some fairly awful stream of consciousness lyrics from Lydon, and the odd smattering of the Jah Wobble-style dub bass, but not enough to match their better work. Lydon's voice is fantastic on it, though.

Just a bit of promotion for my freinds band for any of you that have Spotify. They're called Youth Club and they released their EP the other day. If any of you guys gave it a listen and posted some thoughts in here, I'm sure they'd appreciate it. I don't think it'll be to most of your tastes, but I thought I'd say anyway.

I am really becoming obsessed with The Beach Boys. For the most part of last week, I have been tearing through another batch of their albums; "20/20" which was messy and disorganised on the first listen but sort of grew on me as it sounded fresh compared to the more complacent "Friends" and "Wild Honey", "Sunflower", that I still haven't made up my mind about and "Today!" over and over again because, outside of "Pet Sounds" and "Surf's Up", that really is one of their best albums.

And of course, after snatching it home from the shop, I listened to "That's Why God Made the Radio" which I probably enjoyed a lot more than I should have. I sang a long for hours to the title track, and I really enjoyed "Spring Vacation", "Beaches In Mind" and, well, basically the entire second half of the album. It is clichéd, Brian Wilson can't hit the falsetto anymore but they produced the thing really well and it is very Beach Boys-like and I love it.

:mellow:

That is my response to Philip Glass' "Einstein on the Beach" opera that I just finished. I chose it as my first foray into opera because I read about him in The Fader magazine, although I did know a bit beforehand. But said opera is absolutely amazing. I was just completely blown away with everything that it threw at me; I honestly never thought I'd enjoy something like an opera this much. Granted, it is an avant-garde composition but still, it has it roots in classical opera. This album is going straight to the top of my "Must-Listen Album List" that I still don't have.

Because I caught shit in the Society For People Who Bitch And Moan, I decided to put on Lana Del Rey's Born To Die on at work; take the hard way out and listen to it again. And even though it wasn't bad as I remember, I just doesn't speak to me at all. I liked "Blue Jeans" but in it's entirety, I am still not interested at all to return to her. In the interest of fairness, if people can vouch for it, is her debut LP better? Because I would not mind listening to that if it isn't just Born To Die version 0.5.

Well, that settles it. No more Lana Del Rey for me.

Anyways, metalman, anything from Jeff Fosket you can recommend? I've looked him up briefly but I can't seem to find any solo material or honestly, any material besides stuff he did with the Beach Boys.

Listening to the reissues Copper Blue and Beaster by Sugar, and they're absolutely awesome. I've never heard them before, but I'd easily rank them amongst Bob Mould's best work, as good as almost anything Husker Du ever did. Beaster especially is just incredible.