What music are you listening to?

Benji

How is Talib Kweli on his own? I've heard stuff from his Blackstar group with Mos Def and liked it but I've never really listened to his solo stuff

Also, was watch Bill and Teds Excellent Adventure, paused it and listened to this..

This weekend I seem, for no obvious reason, to have regressed into listening to bands I haven't listened to since I was a teenager circa 2001-02 (Saliva, Hoobastank, etc.).

Although actually, it has come hand-in-hand with my rewatching of old WWF from 2000-02 for the first time in years too. Perhaps there is simply an immature teenager section of my brain that has stirred from its slumber.

• 2 weeks later...

Vacation's added a lot of albums to the fold.

1. Bad Religion - True North

2. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Push The Sky Away (the single is just like the entire album, and that is a hauntingly good thing)

3. Ra Ra Riot - Beta Love

4. Jim James - Regions of Light & Sound of God

5. Richard Thompson - Electric (straight up rock record with some Celtic influence...from a musicianship standpoint, this is arguably the best thus far)

6. Black Veil Brides - Wretched & Devine: The Story of the Wild Ones

7. Coheed & Cambria - The Afterman: Decension

8. Dropkick Murphys - Signed & Sealed In Blood

9. Tegan & Sara - Heartthrob

10. Adam Ant - Adam Ant Is the Blueback Hussar in Marrying the Gunner's Daughter

11. Chris Tomlin - Burning Lights

12. Tim Armstrong - Why Complain

13. The Joy Formidable - Wolf's Law

14. Ben Harper & Charlie Musselwhite - Get Up!

15. Eels - Wonderful, Glorious (your standard Eels stuff with no real standout tracks...all it does is remind me how much I want pre-2010 Abandoned Pools back)

16. Foals - Holy Fire (I feel like I'm the only person missing something here. Just doesn't stick with me.)

17. Frightened Rabbit - Pedestrian Verse

18. Yo La Tengo - Fade

19. New Order - Lost Sirens

20. Tomahawk - Oddfellows

21. The Cab - Symphony Solider

22. Mumford & Sons - The Road to Red Rocks (Live)

23. Lisa Loeb - No Fairy Tale

To come: Marr's "The Messenger", Mogwai's "Les Revenants", & Atoms for Peace's "Amok".

Other notes:

-Go check out Puscifer's "Donkey Punch The Night" EP. Their version of "Bohemian Rhapsody" is meh, but damn if their cover of "Balls to the Wall" isn't catchy.

-New Fall Out Boy single is decent. I feel like they've played the same card that Linkin Park did when they used "Somewhere I Belong" as the first single from "Meteora". Put out a song you're not too confident in first because your name will sell it. Save the good stuff to keep the sales afloat.

Listened to the new Kavinsky album OutRun a lot today; it has a whole bunch of fantastic party tracks, and an extremely good first half. Just non-stop banging tracks from like the get go to and around 20 minutes in. The second half is a bit less stellar but is saved by some interesting songs like "Nightcall" and "First Blood" and the first part more than makes up for it. Definitely putting it on my list of favorite albums of this year so far.

• Like 1

Listened to the new Kavinsky album OutRun a lot today; it has a whole bunch of fantastic party tracks, and an extremely good first half. Just non-stop banging tracks from like the get go to and around 20 minutes in. The second half is a bit less stellar but is saved by some interesting songs like "Nightcall" and "First Blood" and the first part more than makes up for it. Definitely putting it on my list of favorite albums of this year so far.

I pretty much agree with this word for word...

Checking out the new TMBG & Hendrix albums today, as well as a few singles. Finally scoped out the new Yeah Yeah Yeahs and was quite pleased. That and the new AIC are the two albums I'm definitely looking forward to.

Edit: The new TMBG underwhelms because it mostly feels like filler. The full length, 2:00+ songs are good, but the album as a whole just feels disjointed. A lot of unfinished ideas there, which causes the sense of focus I got from "Join Us" and "The Else" to leave.

Speaking of unfinished ideas, the new Hendrix album is a solid one with a couple of surprises. Jimi sounds more akin to drug-fueled James Brown or Bob Seger on "Let Me Move You", whereas a few tracks are in the same scale as "Voodoo Child". A good listen if you're a Hendrix fan, but some songs just meander or get cut off way too soon. Plenty of guitar work to be proud of, though.

Vacation's added a lot of albums to the fold.

1. Bad Religion - True North
2. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Push The Sky Away (the single is just like the entire album, and that is a hauntingly good thing)

3. Mogwai - Los Revenants (Soundtrack to a French TV show and some of the spookiest, most engaging work these guys have put into your head.)
4. Ra Ra Riot - Beta Love
5. Jim James - Regions of Light & Sound of God
6. Richard Thompson - Electric (straight up rock record with some Celtic influence...from a musicianship standpoint, this is arguably the best thus far)
7. Coheed & Cambria - The Afterman: Decension
8. Dropkick Murphys - Signed & Sealed In Blood
9. Tegan & Sara - Heartthrob

10. They Might Be Giants - Nanobots (A quintet of great songs get bogged down by what hit me less like random fun and more like ideas they ran out of time for.)

11. Black Veil Brides - Wretched & Devine: The Story of the Wild Ones

12. Adam Ant - Adam Ant Is the Blueback Hussar in Marrying the Gunner's Daughter
13. Chris Tomlin - Burning Lights
14. The Joy Formidable - Wolf's Law

15. Jimi Hendrix - People, Hell, & Angels (Some surprises, but your typical middle-of-the-road Hendrix work.)
16. Ben Harper & Charlie Musselwhite - Get Up!

17. Johnny Marr - The Messenger (A couple of good songs, but I almost wish this was an instrumental. Seems like a few were leftovers from his time in Modest Mouse.)
18. Tim Armstrong - Why Complain
19. Eels - Wonderful, Glorious (your standard Eels stuff with no real standout tracks...all it does is remind me how much I want pre-2010 Abandoned Pools back)
20. Foals - Holy Fire (I feel like I'm the only person missing something here. Just doesn't stick with me.)
21. Frightened Rabbit - Pedestrian Verse
22. Yo La Tengo - Fade
23. New Order - Lost Sirens
24. Tomahawk - Oddfellows
25. The Cab - Symphony Solider
26. Mumford & Sons - The Road to Red Rocks (Live)
27. Lisa Loeb - No Fairy Tale