What music are you listening to?

Benji

What is Strokes like? Their new one took me quite by surprise. I'm optimistic though, because I loved Angles.

Y'know, I liked it more than I anticipated. The singles did nothing for me, really, but the album as a whole is decent stuff. A lot of reviews have said it's not for people who loved "Angles", so tread carefully. I liked "Angles", but I prefer to listen to this album as one complete run, as opposed to checking out individual tracks.

Summation: Lower your expectations, let it say its piece, then chew on it for a bit.

Nothing like some good sludge metal from the guys responsible for Sourvein, Weedeater, and Beaten Back To Pure. I really like most everything off the Disperse The Curse album, but "Shoot The Pigs" and "Beast of Bourbon" are easily my favorites off it.

Now up: new Fall Out Boy, Willie Nelson, Iron & Wine, Flaming Lips, and tons more.

1. Bad Religion - True North
2. David Bowie - The Last Day
3. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Push The Sky Away
4. Mogwai - Los Revenants
5. Tegan & Sara - Heartthrob
6. Johnny Marr - The Messenger
7. Jim James - Regions of Light & Sound of God
8. Richard Thompson - Electric
9. Coheed & Cambria - The Afterman: Decension
10. Ra Ra Riot - Beta Love

11. Dropkick Murphys - Signed & Sealed In Blood
12. They Might Be Giants - Nanobots
13. Black Veil Brides - Wretched & Devine: The Story of the Wild Ones

14. Dawes - Stories Don't End (Some real gems here that offset some more by-the-numbers tracks. Stay away from "Just My Luck" or "Hey Lover", stay around for pretty much everything else.)
15. The Strokes - Comedown Machine (This album shows everything that is great and terrible about leaving this band completely to their own devices. It finishes strong and has a couple of good moments in the beginning, but the middle is...well, boring.)
16. Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Specter At The Feast
17. Chris Tomlin - Burning Lights
18. The Joy Formidable - Wolf's Law
19. How To Destroy Angels - Welcome Oblivion
20. Jimi Hendrix - People, Hell, & Angels

21. Volbeat - Outlaw Gentlemen & Shady Ladies (A band that can't quite decide what they want to be, but Rob Caggiano reels 'em in for a solid hard rock album. Plus, King Diamond!)
22. Biffy Clyro - Opposites
23. Ben Harper & Charlie Musselwhite - Get Up!
24. Eric Clapton - Old Sock
25. Justin Timberlake - The 20/20 Experience
26. The Milk Carton Kids - The Ash & The Clay (Simon & Garfunkel reborn, only not quite as refined. An album that has some fascinating tunes, but meanders way too long.)
27. Tim Armstrong - Why Complain
28. Eels - Wonderful, Glorious
29. OneRepublic - Native (There are some laughably bad tracks on here -- "Preacher", for example. Fortunately, the acoustic versions you'll catch as bonus tracks and some non-singles make up for the trying-way-too-hard tunes.)
30. Cold War Kids - Dear Miss Lonleyhearts (The single, "Miracle Mile", is outstanding. Everything else is a feeble attempt to match it.)
31. The Band Perry - Pioneer (I'm missing something here, but it just does nothing for me.)
32. Atoms For Peace - Amok
33. Depeche Mode - Delta Machine (It...just...doesn't...stop.)
34. Foals - Holy Fire
35. Rival Sons - Head Down (Not nearly as good as the first album, but makes me think the third album will be killer. Can't remember a single momentous thing about it.)
36. Frightened Rabbit - Pedestrian Verse
37. Yo La Tengo - Fade
38. New Order - Lost Sirens
39. Tomahawk - Oddfellows
40. The Cab - Symphony Solider

41. Device - Device (It's Disturbed with slightly more whirrs and whizzes. The cover of "Close My Eyes Forever" is laughably mundane.)
42. Adam Ant - Adam Ant Is the Blueback Hussar in Marrying the Gunner's Daughter
43. Mumford & Sons - The Road to Red Rocks (Live)

44. Brad Paisley - Wheelhouse (The best part about an album that is all over the place? You get stuff like Brad Paisley jamming with Eric Idle. The worst part? Nearly everything else here. He's still one of the best guitarists living, but there are way too many chefs in the kitchen here.)
45. Lisa Loeb - No Fairy Tale
46. Bon Jovi - What About Now?

Added: Fall Out Boy, The Flaming Lips, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Iron & Wine, & Paramore

This week's list: Phoenix, Steve Martin & Edie Brickell, Clutch

1. Bad Religion - True North

2. David Bowie - The Last Day

3. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Push The Sky Away

4. Mogwai - Los Revenants

5. Tegan & Sara - Heartthrob

6. Johnny Marr - The Messenger

7. The Flaming Lips - The Terror (This is the year of the moody record, it seems.)

8. Jim James - Regions of Light & Sound of God

9. Richard Thompson - Electric

10. Coheed & Cambria - The Afterman: Decension

11. Ra Ra Riot - Beta Love

12. Dropkick Murphys - Signed & Sealed In Blood

13. They Might Be Giants - Nanobots

14. Black Veil Brides - Wretched & Devine: The Story of the Wild Ones

15. Dawes - Stories Don't End

16. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Mosquito (Starts off strongly, then drops off until "Buried Alive" kicks off a nice string of tracks to end it.)

17. Paramore - Paramore (It's a perfectly fine album and starts off just as strongly as YYY, but I'll be interested to see if any of it sticks. Second half is decent, at best.)

18. The Strokes - Comedown Machine

19. Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Specter At The Feast

20. Chris Tomlin - Burning Lights

21. The Joy Formidable - Wolf's Law

22. How To Destroy Angels - Welcome Oblivion

23. Jimi Hendrix - People, Hell, & Angels

24. Iron & Wine - Ghost on Ghost (Don't be surprised if this moves up a few spots. Feels like one that needs a few listens.)

25. Volbeat - Outlaw Gentlemen & Shady Ladies

26. Biffy Clyro - Opposites

27. Ben Harper & Charlie Musselwhite - Get Up!

28. Eric Clapton - Old Sock

29. Justin Timberlake - The 20/20 Experience

30. The Milk Carton Kids - The Ash & The Clay

31. Tim Armstrong - Why Complain

32. Eels - Wonderful, Glorious

33. Fall Out Boy - Save Rock & Roll (They didn't. They'll save their mortgaged houses with the tour, though.)

34. OneRepublic - Native

35. Cold War Kids - Dear Miss Lonleyhearts

36. The Band Perry - Pioneer

37. Atoms For Peace - Amok

38. Depeche Mode - Delta Machine

39. Foals - Holy Fire

40. Rival Sons - Head Down

41. Frightened Rabbit - Pedestrian Verse

42. Yo La Tengo - Fade

43. New Order - Lost Sirens

44. Tomahawk - Oddfellows

45. The Cab - Symphony Solider

46. Device - Device

47. Adam Ant - Adam Ant Is the Blueback Hussar in Marrying the Gunner's Daughter

48. Mumford & Sons - The Road to Red Rocks (Live)

49. Brad Paisley - Wheelhouse

50. Lisa Loeb - No Fairy Tale

51. Bon Jovi - What About Now?

Read a list..the 10 Worst #1 Songs of the 80s..and WTF...some of these songs are iconic of the age..and pretty damn good..

1. Escape (The Pina Colada Song) Rupert HOlmes
2. I Love A Rainy Night - Eddie Rabbitt (Don't even remember this..)
3. Mickey - Toni Basil (WTF...video is iconic!)
4. All Night Long - Lionel Richie (Good for its time, but the sound is dated)
5. Footloose - Kenny Loggins (WTF...song is awesome!)
6. I Want To Know What Love Is - Foreigner (Never been a huge Foreigner fan..)
7. There Will Be Sad Songs (To Make You Cry) - Billy Ocean (Ok..this is just depressing)
8. Walk Like An Egyptian - The Bangles (Again..iconic..an entire generation stereotyped a country just by walking..)
9. Every Rose Has Its Thorn - Poison (Didn't notice this due to the outrage over The Bangles...seriously WTF?!?!?!?!)
10. Blame It On The Rain - Milli Vanilli (Ok..no argument...)