What music are you listening to?

Benji

Saturday night was cave club night, which meant a lot of drink and a lot of psych/fuzz/girl bands both before and after the wife and I headed out.

I am still listening to and would recommend:

A great original and what I think is the best cover of a very covered song.

Continued work on my David Bowie listen-along. So far I am only missing four albums from the 70's, and his self-titled debut album that isn't Space Oddity, then I will have heard all his 60's and 70's discography. Today it was Aladdin Sane and that record really grew on my fast. I might have to give a few more spins but so far, it is up there with Young Americans and "Heroes" as one of my favorites; really digging the mix between glam, proto-punk and the weird piano escapades. And as much as some people have advised me against this, I can't wait to delve into his 80's and 90's stuff. I just get really giddy about huge discographies, I just want to listen all of it, even the supposed terrible stuff. This is also why the "Quest to Listen to Every Frank Zappa" record is on my bucket list.

My Field Trip to Planet 9 by Justin Warfield. Super cool and extra strength fun, hip hop fans will definitely enjoy. One of my favorites and it's been a long time. It's a shame he formed She Wants Revenge instead of continuing on with this sort of stuff.

EDIT: Except for the random rock freakout in "Pick It Up Y'all," that's fucking awful. I hated it when Mos Def did it, too.

Oooo, boy, have we got ground to cover. New entries emboldened, anything italicized has been moved up.

1. Bad Religion - True North

2. David Bowie - The Last Day (An album that just fires on all cylinders. Everything you think Bowie can do well, he does.)

3. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Push The Sky Away

4. Mogwai - Los Revenants

5. Ra Ra Riot - Beta Love

6. Jim James - Regions of Light & Sound of God

7. Richard Thompson - Electric

8. Coheed & Cambria - The Afterman: Decension

9. Johnny Marr - The Messenger

10. Tegan & Sara - Heartthrob

11. Dropkick Murphys - Signed & Sealed In Blood

12. They Might Be Giants - Nanobots

13. Black Veil Brides - Wretched & Devine: The Story of the Wild Ones

14. Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Specter At The Feast (Haunting without being morose or dour. Not what you would necessarily expect from BRMC.)

15. Chris Tomlin - Burning Lights

16. The Joy Formidable - Wolf's Law

17. How To Destroy Angels - Welcome Oblivion (While it's not a great album, I am left wondering what the duo could have been with Nine Inch Nails now coming out of the shadows. There is potential here. Think of a female-fronted NIN circa-Year Zero.)

18. Jimi Hendrix - People, Hell, & Angels

19. Biffy Clyro - Opposites (I wanted to like this album, but so much of it just doesn't stick. If you can catch the acoustic version of "Pocket", though, do so.)

20. Ben Harper & Charlie Musselwhite - Get Up!

21. Eric Clapton - Old Sock (A collection of reggae/blues tunes that show a man comfortable with his skills and age. This isn't Derek & The Dominoes, nor should you expect it to be. This is Slow Hand at work.)

22. Justin Timberlake - The 20/20 Experience (While there are a few outstanding moments here, it's more of a hip-hop album than Futuresex, which is saying something. Worth your time, though.)

23. Tim Armstrong - Why Complain

24. Eels - Wonderful, Glorious

25. Atoms For Peace - Amok (Meh. The single's good, the rest is forgettable.)

26. Foals - Holy Fire

27. Frightened Rabbit - Pedestrian Verse

28. Yo La Tengo - Fade

29. New Order - Lost Sirens

30. Tomahawk - Oddfellows

31. The Cab - Symphony Solider

32. Adam Ant - Adam Ant Is the Blueback Hussar in Marrying the Gunner's Daughter

33. Mumford & Sons - The Road to Red Rocks (Live)

34. Lisa Loeb - No Fairy Tale

35. Bon Jovi - What About Now? (If you know anyone bought this album with actual money, please do us all a favor and beat them.)

I've always said How to Destroy Angels is really just a prop for Mariqueen's career. She was going NOWHERE, fast, in West Indian Girl, and now she's poised to become one of the better female leads in a group that's out there currently. I mean, I looooove Mariqueen, but I really wish Atticus and Rob Sheridan were just working with her, with a little input from Trent, and just let him focus on rebuilding Nine Inch Nails from the ground up and practicing rehearsals and whatnot. He said not to expect a new NIN album, so it's basically just a comeback tour for no reason. But, hey, Adrian Belew!!!

I guarantee you most of the people buying the album(s) or going to HTDA shows are just going for Trent, and they're going to be really disappointed when he's not in the forefront like they think he'll be probably. He's basically the Alessandro Conti of How to Destroy Angels.

• Like 1

My Field Trip to Planet 9 by Justin Warfield. Super cool and extra strength fun, hip hop fans will definitely enjoy. One of my favorites and it's been a long time. It's a shame he formed She Wants Revenge instead of continuing on with this sort of stuff.

EDIT: Except for the random rock freakout in "Pick It Up Y'all," that's fucking awful. I hated it when Mos Def did it, too.

I'll have to check this out. I'm a real picky fucker when it comes to rap and hip hop, but I am a She Wants Revenge fan so I'm curious as to what this sounds like.

• Like 1

Rob Zombie in "new single is just unbelievably meh" shocker. "Dead City Radio & The New Gods of Supertown" is the one I'm referring to, this time. :shifty:

I find that I haven't cared much for Rob Zombie's solo stuff since Educated Horses, but apparently his new album features a cover of Grand Funk's "We're An American Band". I'm kind of interested in hearing that.

Ennio Morricone's Giu la testa, soundtrack to Duck, You Sucker. Lovely.

Fuck, that movie is so good. And so is the soundtrack.

I still need to give the new Tegan & Sara a proper listen through, I've only heard maybe a handful of songs off of it. Lately I've been listening to a lot of Hank Williams, Johnny Cash and Townes Van Zandt - I find it all very relaxing, usually put some on before I go to bed.

Also:

• Like 1

I have a crappy paint-made signature with some of the bands I'm listening to and some of my favorite bands of the past...

Been listening to In This Moment's "Blood", Thousand Foot Krutch's "The End Is Where We Begin,", and both of Evan's Blue most recent albums, their self-titled and "Graveyard of Empires", as well as still listening to Shinedown, Tool, Lacuna Coil, and others occasionally.

Quoting this again, I really dug it. Not too sound weird, but it's almost exactly what I look for when I listen to hip hop. I'll probably be listening to this a lot in the next few days.

What am I currently listening to? A lot of Discharge, great great punk band, heavy and pissed just the way I like it.

• Like 1