What music are you listening to?

Benji

On 23/05/2016 at 16:42, Benji said:

I like The Killers, but his solo albums are much more my thing. I absolutely adored his first album, and whilst the second wasn't quite as good, it still has some tremendous tracks. Hopefully The Killers put out something a little more "Sam's Town" and a lot less "Battleborn".

I constantly disagree with myself over which album I prefer: Hot Fuss or Sam's Town. I think it depends what mood I'm in. I'm currently in a "Sam's Town is my favourite album of all time" mood. 

Bizarrely I've never really got on with his solo stuff.

I didn't find Day & Age very cohesive, it has some good tracks, but for the most part it sounded to me like an inferior Hot Fuss. I'll have to give it another listen as it's a long time since I did.

And I love WYWY. I also love the theory that the man in the story is the devil, because it adds a whole other twist to the tale. "He doesn't look a thing like Jesus", tempting the girl with "the devil's water", the fact he's called a gentleman and "the devil is a gentleman". She's waiting on being saved by someone, but instead the devil finds her in her lowest ebb and tempts her into sin, and yet she finds happiness within it.

Never been a fan of The Killers*, but they were very smart to emphasise their love of Americana during the second album (they were often mistaken for being British during the Hot Fuss era) or else they may have fallen victim to the indie landfill.

*Although I credit them as the reason Manic Street Preachers are my favourite band now. They clashed at Leeds Festival, and so I checked out Manics - who were nothing but a mere band I liked before then - latest album (Send Away the Tigers) before then and I became infatuated. So, uh, thanks Brandon and other guys!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've been listening to old songs Christina Grimmie did with Kurt Hugo Schneider on YouTube.

I admittedly didn't even realize she was on The Voice a few years ago, or that she had released a new EP this year. My only experience with her was because I'd subscribed to Kurt's YouTube after did a few Starcraft parody songs with HuskyStarcraft, and I went through the most recent videos that had been uploaded and the "Just A Dream" cover had gone up the day before the Starcraft parodies. Great voice, absolutely awful way to die.

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/06/2016 at 19:31, GA! said:

"Oh boy, a new Red Hot Chili Peppers album!"

*PRODUCED BY DANGER MOUSE*

"...never mind."

Made it halfway through the album and turned it off. RHCP are worthless without John Frusciante, and as expected Danger Mouse produces in a way that makes every instrument sound like a cheesy sparkling sound effect. Basically, imagine what this sounds like:

bbzi0dt.gif

Finally checked out A Moon Shaped Pool and I thought it was just alright. Maybe I just wasn't in the right mood for it at the time. I'll probably re-listen another day.

I've been listening to Coloring Book by Chance the Rapper and The Impossible Kid by Aesop Rock a lot lately.

My girlfriend is from Slovakia, and her sister is always telling me to listen to all kinds of different stuff. 99% of it isn't to my taste, but she's introduced me to a song called room of ghosts by a band named elevenhill. It's a really good song, one I'd definitely suggest to people.