US Comedy question

Liam

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Naturally, the US have given us quite a lot of good comedies over the year (Cheers, Friends, Frasier, Scrubs). However, I wanted to ask what the general US consensus was about some of the other comedies we get over here....since ABC1 (a digital channel we get) and some of the stuff on Channel 4 is some of the most diabolically bad comedy I've seen.

I just was interested if it was stuff we got because no-one liked it in America, or if this is American "cream of comedy", yet it just isn't very good.

We get stuff such as:

King Of Queens

Rodney

8 Simple Rules (which was ok until John Ritter died)

Everybody Loves Raymond (utteryly horrible)

Hope And Faith

Just Shoot Me

There are more, I can't remember them all.

King Of Queens, Rodney, 8 Simple Rules, Everybody Loves Raymond and Just Shoot Me are all good comedies, IMO.

I like Eight Simple Rules post Ritter. I don't know why.

I don't jus tlike it post Ritter, I prefer it post Ritter.

I've been getting into Two and a Half Men recently too.

That's just unacceptable.

Why? It's an amazing show.

If you can somehow find a way to watch It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia (as they don't release DVDs for the show), you will not be disappointed as it is one of, if not the best comedy going today. It is up there with Arrested Development and Curb as the best comedy in the past couple of years.

I much prefer any of those US comedies listed than our stuff. The Office for example, I've never got the appeal to that. It's lame.

I'd prefer most GOOD US comedies to our stuff, but as Mudda pointed out, these all follow a similar, bland and boring format in my eyes.

UK stuff isn't great, but some of our better stuff (though you either love them or hate them for the style) like The Office, Garth Merenghi, etc etc generally aren't that formulaic, as with the best stuff from the US (Arrested Development, Curb Your Enthusiasm...which I believe is from the US)

The IT Crowd...JESUS CHRIST!!! What a shit show on so many levels.

The Dean Learner program is fucking awful as well.

Garth Merenghi's Darkplace was good, but The Mighty Boosh > *, as far as these 'quirky' kind of comedies/spinoffs go.

The IT Crowd...JESUS CHRIST!!! What a shit show on so many levels.

The Dean Learner program is fucking awful as well.

Garth Merenghi's Darkplace was good, but The Mighty Boosh > *, as far as these 'quirky' kind of comedies/spinoffs go.

It was AWFUL!!! Cringe-worthy delivery, totally generic and totally OBVIOUS. Even Noel Fielding couldn't save it with something utterly random...and nobody at this said moment in time beats Noel Fielding for something utterly random.

Guest Ringo Masterson

We got into a horrible place for awhile where the thing was Fat Comedians getting sitcoms where they were with women they couldn't possibly get in real life (King of Queens, Drew Carey, Still Standing). Thankfully thats over but still most comedy sucks anymore.

We got into a horrible place for awhile where the thing was Fat Comedians getting sitcoms where they were with women they couldn't possibly get in real life (King of Queens, Drew Carey, Still Standing). Thankfully thats over but still most comedy sucks anymore.

Drew Carey was not awful! :@.

It was gold, damn it! :(

Drew Carey was funny until they lost all semblance of reality and just started doing random bullshit. Like, the moment Drew died and came back as a baby the show started to suck.

Guest Ringo Masterson

Drew Carey was not awful! :@.

It was gold, damn it! :(

Seinfeld had it's moments but is by far the most overrated comedy in the history of ever.

Also, even though it's not technically a comedy, Rescue Me is fucking funny.

I'm a fan of nearly all the shows Liam mentioned. :(

Well, mostly 8 Simple Rules (which was STILL good AFTER Ritter died and Spade joined), King of Queens & Just Shoot Me.

Just Shoot Me is :wub: