Dexter - official topic

Docpepper

Yeah I couldn't agree more. As soon as the irrelevant guy who was dating the slightly less irrelevant new character was Vogel's secret dead son and also the brain surgeon I checked out mentally. This show is done, what an absolutely awful way to end the show. Now we have Dexter and Hannah vs Team Vogel. I don't buy into a woman of her inteligence and experience would suddenly shack up as happy families with the son who clearly has murderous intent for her.

It's just painfully terrible

At this point I'm just reading the recaps on The AV Club and laughing bemusedly and shaking my head. None of it makes any sense. But at least Madison Burge from FNL is getting work?

• Like 2

I've been a big defender of Dexter the past couple of seasons, thinking people who were really negative about it we're just wrong but you know what; fuck this season, it's awful. It's one dissapointing moment after another:

Deb is turning Dexter in.... and she's not and they're peachy

Quinn is trailing Zach and will find Dexter, "I know what you're doing"....Yeah you really don't.

Hannah is gonna kill Dexter en Deb... and they're in love again and even worse, she is now all buddy buddy with Deb too.

This season just seems all over the place wiithout a clear end goal in the distance, atleast not one worthy of a last season.

It's gonna end with "... and Dexter, Harrison and Hannah live happily ever after in Argentina, Deb is the best gosh darn police officer Miami Metro can wish for and Quinn makes sergeant after all" isn't it?

EDIT: I also fully expect the ghosts of Doakes and LaGuerta to show up and tell dexter that they were wrong and he is right and they deserved to die, just to wrap that up nicely too.

Edited by Animal
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I quit watching a few episodes ago because it was just getting ugh, but man, from the reviews and things I've read it seems like the final season of this show is just going further and further off the rails.

All I need to see from tonight's episode since I haven't bothered in weeks either.

Fcrbtd9.gif

Oh my god, /r/Dexter is a goldmine of frustration.

For fuck's sake let something interesting happen tonight.

*Edit: God damnit.

• Like 2

Someone on Reddit wrote up a better version of season eight. It has a lot of flaws, and it's clearly heavily influenced by Breaking Bad, but in fairness it's not really polished like it would be in a writer's room. Plus, let's face it, anything is better than what we've got. I largely just like the idea of Angel being the "big bad" and finally making up for eight years of Miami's homicide division ineptitude.

Potential spoilers below for anyone looking to marathon the season later.

Angel should have been the big bad for this season. I thought for sure it'd be heading there.

-He is one of the audience favorites. He represents good.
-This show has flirted far too much with religious imagery, good versus bad, light versus dark to have not taken this route
-His ex-wife (whom he always seemed to love a little more than she loved him) was just killed for Christ's sake. How's THAT for motivation?

Imagine the possibilities. Instead of checking in at the Batista residence for the stupid adventures of Quinn & Jamie, we could be seeing Angel in a back room, compiling all the evidence he can. A man possessed. Go most of the season with Dex completely oblivious that he's so screwed. We watch Angel as he doesn't do what the other two at Miami Metro foolishly did. Report a killer without solid evidence. You want a season of shit filler where Dex kills whoever? Put the fact that Dex has no idea Angel is roaring up behind him and every sloppy, stupid mistake he makes suddenly has so much weight if he carelessly looks it over. Let us see the nails line up in his coffin and have him find out when there COULD be enough room to make it out, but he shouldn't.

The final few episodes could have really been something. We could see Dex struggling with the idea of having to kill Angel. People would not be cool with the idea of killing the most decent man in Dexter. We actually care about him since he's been around, he isn't some last minute invention like Murder Pixie Dream Girl or Mommy Issues McGee. A moment where Dex lingers in the shadows, ready to drug Batista? I'd be screaming at my television for anything else to happen, and I'd LOVE it.

I hate being the millionth person to make the show comparison, but really, Angel's story should have been like Hank's in Breaking Bad. Hell, before they just threw it out the window, Deb's mental breakdown earlier this season was on the right track for her to pull a Jesse.

I think the biggest mistake the writers made was deciding not to make it the season the world finds out exactly what Dexter is. I think that's why so many people aren't digging it. From season 1 I think we all wanted to see the moment he gets found out. Even if he goes on the run and it just ends, it would have been better than where it appears to be going. (Where he flees Miami without any real reason? Oh right. Hannah. Ugh.)

But hey, that's life I guess. I've stopped watching, finally. It makes me kinda sad.

Edit: Hell, they could have even brought Lumen back for a cameo where Angel tracks her down, episode 10, and she calls Dexter to let him know, thus setting into events the final showdown. IF ONLY THE WRITERS THOUGHT THE ANSWER MIGHT BE IN THE SHOW'S HISTORY! (Nerd rage. Sorry.)

Edit 2: And again, it's a gold mine for scenes. It's bowling night and Batista is doing his damnedest to not lunge at Dexter. Deb makes a killer related joke that would have flown over his head before. She knows too! He goes outside and just beats his fists bloody against a brick wall. He has to knowingly let his little sister remain under the employ of a monster who he knows is cunning beyond belief. His hands shake until she comes home every night. And he knows he can't share it with anyone for a while.

Edit 3: Hopefully my final edit. I'm getting dangerously close to writing fan fiction. I try not to do that, better to create your own thing in my opinion.

The first episode should have opened at Angel's party. He interacts with Deb and she's already off. Dex thinks everything is fine. The calls come in. Angel is beside himself. The actual police leave and insist he not come. He does. He sees Deb hasn't changed at all since the reveal but his own grief is far too powerful for him to think about any of it. He sees Dex come up with the conclusion a little too easily. The episode ends with Angel going home, alone, and finds a note through his door from Laguerta. Or a video. It says something like "If anything happens to me tonight, promise me Angel (or some affectionate nickname she may have had) Promise me you will look out for Dexter Morgan." You see his face, the realization. Even flashbacks of moments if you want to drill it in that Angel finally gets it. And it'd differ from Breaking Bad in the moment where Dexter is asking for it. Have him start waxing on about how he dealt with it when Rita died, about how he's going to pledge his full duties to finding the killer, how's he's there for him in every way and have Angel turn inward, not attack him, and say something like "Yeah. I know you are Socio." They hug. Angel looking like he's touching the devil, Dexter looks like a psycho too smug and still too unable to read genuine feelings.

I genuinely thought that Angel getting all of LaGuerta's stuff in the season premiere meant he was going to stumble across something that put him on the same path that she was on.

In fact, that probably was what was meant to happen and then they just dropped it and all mention of her forever.

I genuinely thought that Angel getting all of LaGuerta's stuff in the season premiere meant he was going to stumble across something that put him on the same path that she was on.

In fact, that probably was what was meant to happen and then they just dropped it and all mention of her forever.

It's amazing that, for once, the writers have gotten me to hate a character on Dexter. It's just sad that that character had to be Batista for how willfully ignorant they've written him as being about Dexter.

The episode I watched last night (the one which was a return from the break) just has me utterly sick of the show. It may well have been the single worst episode of Dexter I've ever seen.

Shitty Harrison acting (complete with needlessly OTT blood)? Check.

Deb and Quinn getting it on with awful music? Check.

Dexter finding EXACTLY the evidence he needs on someone's computer in easy to find location? Check.

Angel not showing even a hint of being bothered that someone he loves has been let down? Check.

Vince not being his usual funny self? Check.

Hannah being there and... well... just being there? Check.

Some random nosy other cop who nobody cares about being the one who's on to Dexter? Check.

Whats-her-face and son's predictable ending with her getting killed? Check.

Dexter whining and crying about the above, even though he's supposed to be an emotionless killer and this woman didn't even exist to him a few weeks ago? Check.

Just, seriously, fuck this show. It's last season should have been an epic rollercoaster, and literally had hundreds of different and exciting ways it could have ended, and they do it with this?

I echo Benji's sentiments. We should now be commentating on two of the best shows coming to a close in one big goddamn motherfucking blast of a final season and we aren't.

Dexter should be one of the most badass characters on TV. Not a cable version of Mr Nanny

• Like 2

For anyone who wants to just find out how Dexter ends now. It's as bad as you thought it was going to be.

I mean, fuck, I have hated Dexter for the last couple years and even I'm disappointed. In a year where The Office pulled its shit together to have a funny, moving finale that captured so much of what made the show a major hit, 30 Rock put together a string of fun final episodes, and Futurama managed to bounce back from a horrible couple years to put on truly worthy final season, Dexter has well and truly shit the bed.

• Like 1

If that article is true i think Showtime want to create a new generation of Dexters which will involve every single pissed off fan thus having an endless cycle of shows.

Thats the only logical conclusion i can come up with.

Dexter is a remorseless, emotionless, bad motherfucker who is taught at an early age to take his anger and evil out on people who deserve it. In no way shape or form should he fucking CRY in front of one of his colleagues