"Chills" at concerts.

Summers

January 2005 little local gig for a screamo band called STAND, one of the guitarists of the band had died of cancer so they got together a memorial show, i somehow got on the guest lsit despite not knowing him that well, the out pouring of emotion was so immense, seeing grown guys, all in to Hardcore punk bursting into tears, to see the out pouring of love for the music (he was also the founder of a small record label) was so immense i couldnt believe it and i had tears in my eyes for a good portion of the evening, and when they STAND took the stage, minus one member, and the vocalist just burst out crying i dont think there were too many dry eyes in the house.

when i saw Biffy clyro and the played "all the way down" man, goosebumps all the way down my body

I am especting tomorrow to be special several of my favourite little bands are playing their (for the forseeable future) last shows in Grimsby and STAND are reuniting (as a 4) and i am gonna go fucking nuts for it.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mobile singing "Out Of My Head" and then transitioning right into "See Right Through Me" which was extended and had the feeling of the band singing and playing until they couldn't anymore. Plus the guy on keyboard/piano was amazing and his stage presence made the song that much better.

Blink 182 performing "Adam's Song" at Bayfest. Plus 44 performing "No It Isn't" live is also awesome.

Plus any lighter sounding songs always send chills down my spines.

Edited by CKN

Green Day playing "Good Riddance" at Reading. Not a huge fan, but that was pretty cool.

A Perfect Circle's whole set when I saw them, particularly "Pet"

Metallica's whole set when I saw them at Reading, practically

At the end of when Fear Factory played, everyone expected them to do some kinda heavy encore, but Burton C Bell came out on his own in a single spotlight and sang some song....I dunno what the song was, but the break from the norm of what people had expected (and me) was refreshing, and it was just brilliantly done

There are probably more, but these stand out.

• 2 months later...

DAMN!!! It's bump time;

"Killing It" by A Wilhelm Scream...just shreds something rotten live...I was never overly that fond of the song until I saw them live.

Brand New had SO MANY SPINE CHILLING MOMENTS!! Kicking off with a one-man "Jude Law...", then going straight into a full band "Seventy Times 7" (Which was just obscene). But what really got me was the ending, finishing with "You Won't Know", with Jesse slithering along giant speakers...screaming down to the people below...just a cool as fuck image...the only time I wished I had a phone that took good pictures (I hate people that spend like 2 hours on a night out taking random pictures for myspace......whores).

Not really spine-chilling, but Plus 44 busting out "The Metro" was cool as fuck......shame none of the stupid emo bastards knew what it was. (I 'wept' for today's youth).

Edited by YI

Metallica at Mellon Arena in Pittsburgh.

The lights go out..."It's A Long Way To The Top (If You Wanna Rock N' Roll)" by AC/DC just finished playing. Everything is still, people are talking amongst themselves and making noise.

Then it happens..."Ecstacy Of Gold" begins and the Metallica intro video plays...Goddamn. Chills up and down my spine and a moment I will never EVER forget.

I didn't actually go to the concert, but Coheed at Hammerstein Ballroom. When they started Welcome Home and there was a mili-second of silence from the crowd before they blew the fucking roof off the fucking arena. Shit man, it gets me everytime I listen to it.

"Fear of the Dark" the first time I saw Maiden is still one of my favourite moments from any concert, I wasn't expecting them to play it, and when the first note was played, damn did the crowd love it.

Dave Grohl playing "Everlong" solo when the Foo Fighters headlined Leeds in 05, the chills I got were there the entire song, it was just so hauntingly beautiful.

Dream Theater playing "Under a Glass Moon" was just the crowning glory of seeing them on their first night in London on the 20th Anniversary Tour. I knew I was seeing something amazing when at the interval between their two acts, a guy at the bar wearing a t-shirt from their 1993 World Tour said to me "Jesus, that was something special."

"The Ballad of Dwight Fry" last time I saw Alice Cooper was the best one I can really remember, it was haunting, rocking and action-packed as you watched what was going on onstage... it was really just, wow.

The last one I can actually think of was when Whitesnake played "Is This Love" at Wacken last year, being about 5 rows from the front and a day of drinking really helped, but the atmosphere was just so great that it really did it for me.

If I make it back to Wacken this year, I'm sure Iced Earth's entire set will give me a great chill.

First time I saw Maiden, pretty much the entire set, captivating. Twas the perfect mix of older classics and the new stuff (Dance of Death tour).

As Keith and Sum said, Metallica's set at Download last year with the run through of Master of Puppets. I'll never forget that.

First time I saw Stone Sour, they ran through all the heavy stuff, then the lights cut out, and a spotlight lit up Corey on his own with an acoustic guitar. He played Bother, and it was awesome, but about halfway through he went into a cover of Metallica's Welcome Home (Sanitarium). Chills x1000.

Oh, during a Bauhaus gig, when Peter Murphy and Daniel Ash both left the stage at the end of "Ziggy Stardust", only to run back on for the final "AND ZIGGY PLAYED GUITAAAAAAAAR!"

Also, when Peter Murphy said "this next song, it's not one of our's", before immediately launching into "Transmission" by Joy Division, complete with Ian Curtis-esque dancing from Peter.

Metallica at last years Download, I was fresh out of a cast like 3 days before and needed pretty bad rehab on my foot, but I went anyway, and after 5 hours standing I was beginning to really think it was a fucking bad idea. Then Ecstacy of Gold hit and I was completely numb. Good times.

Oh, and I have to say, even though I wasn't there, and was just watching drunkenly on a big screen in a park, and even though I can't stand most of their music...when Pink Floyd played "Wish You Were Here" at Live8, and Gilmour was giving a generic "stand up and be counted speech", but ended with "and this is for everyone who isn't here, and especially of course for Syd", and proceeded to sing almost all of the song with a tear in his eye...that was something pretty amazing. One of the biggest moments in music so far this century, by far.

Metallica playing 'Fade to Black' was immense.

Seeing Machine Head for the first time in 2001 was awesome, even though I nearly broke my neck in the pit.

Fear Factory gig in '01 gave me different kinds of chills...like fear for my life chills :P

Arch Enemy playing 'Bury Me An Angel'...totally unexpected.

Dark Tranquillity playing 'Punish My Heaven'...also unexpected.

Seeing Mudvayne for the first time...I was a massive fan back in the day.

Mortician gig...never thought a headlining band could be outshined by all of it's support acts (Arkhon Infaustus, Darkside and Carnal Forge).

The entire Madness gig back in December...most fun gig I've ever been to.

Seeing Death By Stereo for the first time. I had never heard of them but was totally blown away on that night.

Anthrax playing 'Safe Home' was awesome.

Finally seeing Edguy. Went to Bloodstock specifically to see them, got too drunk and K.O'ed. Luckily they supported Dragonforce a few months later and totally stole the show.