Covers better than originals...

Liam

Ten Masked Men's version of White Wedding ¬_¬

Kreator's version of Grinder (it's a close one, that... they're both awesome).

Metallica's version of Damage Case. Probably because I strongly dislike Motorhead (but like the song). Their Overkill cover was shite though.

Oh, and Blind Guardian's Surfin' USA ¬_¬

Also, I don't know if it counts as a cover because I don't know if it was ever recorded commercially, but Nightwish's version of the theme song from The Phantom of the Opera kicks ass, and the original - if such a thing exists outside of the theatre - would have to be very, very, very good for me to prefer it.

Edited by Farmer Reil

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shit, I forgot possibly my favourite ever cover.

Goldfinger's 99 Red Balloons!

And Sonata Arctica's Fade To Black. *ducks behind flame-retardant desk* What? I like it better :P

It's as if it was written for a band like Sonata. Every time I hear the Metallica version, I always think that. Kakko does it better than Hetfield.

Edited by Farmer Reil

Whiskey In The Jar by Metallica (originally by Thin Lizzy)

Whiskey In The Jar is a fairly old song. Pretty sure someone else did it before Thin Lizzy.

I know Roger Whittaker has done a version of it. I know because I was forced to listen to that shit when I was a kid.

One that springs to mind is Battalion of Saints cover of Ace of Spades, which is a tough choice. Both versions are great, but I slightly prefer Battalion of Saints to Motorhead, and their version by proxy.

Authorities cover of Ballroom Blitz is absolutely the best version of it I've ever heard.

Black Randy and the Metrosquad's cover of Say it Loud, I'm Black and I'm Proud is fucking amazing. I definitely give it the edge over James Brown.

I like D.I.'s cover of Uncontrollable Urge over Devo's, even though I really like Devo's version. D.I.'s just has something to it that makes me prefer it to the original.

Also, I don't know if it counts as a cover because I don't know if it was ever recorded commercially, but Nightwish's version of the theme song from The Phantom of the Opera kicks ass, and the original - if such a thing exists outside of the theatre - would have to be very, very, very good for me to prefer it.

Just look for "My Angel Of Music", the majority of Nightwish's version is taken from that. I think Nightwish do something of a medley, I'm not sure, I haven't seen Phantom in a long time, but I know for sure that some of their version is taken from My Angel Of Music, which is a beautiful song.

Just look for "My Angel Of Music", the majority of Nightwish's version is taken from that. I think Nightwish do something of a medley, I'm not sure, I haven't seen Phantom in a long time, but I know for sure that some of their version is taken from My Angel Of Music, which is a beautiful song.

The version in the POTO film is slightly different to the version in the stage show, or at least in the show that I saw. I guess the soundtrack version's pretty damn reliable, though. I think I probably just assumed Nightwish's version was different because of the difference in title, or something, too.

The version in the POTO film is slightly different to the version in the stage show, or at least in the show that I saw. I guess the soundtrack version's pretty damn reliable, though. I think I probably just assumed Nightwish's version was different because of the difference in title, or something, too.

David Bowie - Cactus (Original by The Pixies)

Pixies - Head On (Original by The Jesus and Mary Chain)

Streetlight Manifesto - The whole Keasbey Nights CD (Orignal by Catch-22)

The Network - Teenagers From Mars (Original by The Misfits)

Pennywise - Astro Zombies (Original by The Misfits)

The Misfits - The Whole Project 1950 CD

Also, throw in Bowling For Soup's "London Bridge".

You LIKE the original. It's fucking awful. BFS's version still is far from great...it's not the thing I'd listen to again, but I respect them for making that piece of shit respectable.

"I'm Real" by I can't remember, Amber Pacific (?)...some 'shitty' pop-punk band anyway (I'm not sure if I like this more than the J'Lo originally (Which is a cracking song), but it's pretty darn good)

Does Ben Gibbard's acoustic versions of "Brand New Colony" and "(This Is) The Dream Of Evan And Chan" by The Postal Service and DnTel (ft. Ben Gibbard)...aka. pre-Postal Service, Postal Service.

I swear there should be more....hmmmm.....