Beckham to leave Real

Dan

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw on Sky Sports News this morning that he's 5/4 to go to any MLS club. 10/1 each to go to Newcastle, Spurs or West Ham. 40/1 for a return to ManU.

I'd like to see him back in the Premiership, rather than in the states.

http://www.eurosport.com/football/la-liga/...to1052113.shtml

Beckham: I've signed for Galaxy

David Beckham has revealed that he will sign a five-year contract with LA Galaxy in the summer.

The Real Madrid star will switch to MLS and lead a whole new era for the sport in the United States.

"This week Real Madrid asked me to make a decision regarding my future and the offer to extend my contract for a further two seasons," he told Reuters.

"After discussing several options with my family and my advisers to either stay here in Madrid or join other British and European teams, I have decided to join LA Galaxy and play in the MLS from August this year."

Beckham was free to discuss a deal with any club outside of Spain but will remain at the Bernabeu for the remainder of the season.

Nevertheless, the 31-year-old has been used sparingly by coach Fabio Capello this term and is jetting off for a new chapter in his remarkable life in August.

The deal could be worth up to €250 million (around £128 million) to the former Manchester United favourite.

Edited by Michael Matzat on a Plane

So it's a 5 year $250,000,000 contract, that's 50mil per year:

Okay, so the Home Depot Center (Galaxy's home stadium) seats 27,000. Let's say the average ticket is $50. 16 home games, let's say they sell out every game... that's $21,600,000. So if they can make up $28,400,000 in merchandising, licensing, broadcast revenue, away gates... they can start paying off everyone else's contracts and other expenses. Anyone else having trouble making financial sense of this deal?

Guest President Ringiah Bartlet

Beckham was great for Man Utd, just because Real Madrid played him out of position his first season and then moved him to the right in a 4-3-3 that was failed, doesn't mean he's not a good player.

Personally though, I'm curious as to see whether he'll do well in the MLS. That money is fucking crazy too.