The Mafia Discussion Thread

Sean, you should make an American Psycho Mafia after this. I've got a good feeling about it :shifty:

See, you say that, but you like Pokemon so your opinion of quality is easily dismissed.

• Like 1

False. Mafia has been going downhill since GoGo left :(

There was suppose to be one other person I could say had been playing for as long and as much as I have. Now there's none :'(

Yes.

Like I said though, mine isn't going to be able to run for at least a few weeks. Once I've got the net settled in my new place, I'll be ready to go. Til then, whoever is next (after me and Norro) can go.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

So something bothered me about NBA Mafia, and I didn't want to mention it at the time because it might seem like I was trying to get an unfair advantage for my mafia.

At one point, the mafia was discussing intentionally letting the game go to sunset and getting a townie lynched that way. woc jumped in to say that bad things would happen if we tried to use his lynch rules to our advantage.

But why? The way I see it, a lynch is the town's primary weapon (a nightkill being the mafia's). If people can't come together on a lynch target, that's just proof that the mafia have been doing a good job, why should they lose one of their own for that? That's why I like killing a random townie at deadline...it punishes the town, who should be controlling the lynch, and not the mafia, who shouldn't.

I didn't want you to use the sunset rule as a game mechanic because I was using it as an activity booster. I wanted to use it to establish I wasn't messing around with deadlines and wanted to keep activity flowing. I was merely saying that intentionally stagnating discussion to hit a deadline and making those intentions clear in a thread where I could see them might not have been the best idea in the world. It was never really established WHAT I would do if a game hit the final deadline and the assumption of "random townie death" makes "deadlining" a viable scum tactic, which I don't believe in. I think hitting a deadline should be just as dangerous for a scum player which is why I would have done something like "random player (any alignment)" or (more likely) a "Draft Lottery" of the least active players.

So it wasn't meant as a threat, moreso a warning that you shouldn't tell me you are working to actively stop discussion because you assume you know how I'm running a deadline/sunset rule. Although I guess even then I shouldn't have intervened and said anything because that warning could be construed as giving you an unfair advantage. I guess really I just got put off by someone suggesting stopping activity as a strategy so I was perhaps out of line with putting that comment out there. I see your point and I'll take it into account the next time I run a game.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

I didn't want you to use the sunset rule as a game mechanic because I was using it as an activity booster. I wanted to use it to establish I wasn't messing around with deadlines and wanted to keep activity flowing. I was merely saying that intentionally stagnating discussion to hit a deadline and making those intentions clear in a thread where I could see them might not have been the best idea in the world. It was never really established WHAT I would do if a game hit the final deadline and the assumption of "random townie death" makes "deadlining" a viable scum tactic, which I don't believe in. I think hitting a deadline should be just as dangerous for a scum player which is why I would have done something like "random player (any alignment)" or (more likely) a "Draft Lottery" of the least active players.

So it wasn't meant as a threat, moreso a warning that you shouldn't tell me you are working to actively stop discussion because you assume you know how I'm running a deadline/sunset rule. Although I guess even then I shouldn't have intervened and said anything because that warning could be construed as giving you an unfair advantage. I guess really I just got put off by someone suggesting stopping activity as a strategy so I was perhaps out of line with putting that comment out there. I see your point and I'll take it into account the next time I run a game.

Meh. Norro and LCS tried the same thing in EWB Mafia, and I didn't really like it, thought it was a bit too underhanded, but I wouldn't have punished them for it.