What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

B00005JN3U.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Raising Helen - ** or (4.5/10) - (N)

...and I felt just about the same way as Midget on The Village, so that makes my write-up a little easier.

SPOILERS[albeit semi-edited for those who haven't seen it] FOR THE VILLAGE

I knew all the twists and turns in the story for weeks ahead of time, so there's no way I could see the movie from a "pure" perspective. If you know the ending, the first 20-30 minutes will make you want to shoot yourself in the head because everything seems so obvious when it comes out of the mouths of the liars.

As it moves on, however, the story really picks up when the advertised main character is taken out of the picture in an AWESOME scene.(Advertising Problem #1, the main character is a blind girl...not a grown man playing someone in his early 20s)

The film moves on a slow pace while the story unravels bit by small bit, all while providing a little bit of suspense. (Advertising Problem #2, the film is rarely creepy....more of a character driven drama than the advertised scare-fest)

Every twist kind of checks itself out and ties up the loose ends of the other ones very well....as I realized while talking about the film afterward. I find little to no problems with the flick other than it's beginning which could use a bit of editing, the order in which it reveals it's secrets, and the shittiest, most self-glorifying cameo by M. Night Shamalambahamdam yet.

I'd recommend at least a watch to anyone even semi-interested by it. I'm sure much of it's audience will be split reaction-wise.

Edited by Numbahs

***SPOILERS AHEAD***

The Village: 7.5/10 - It was pretty good, but the only part I didn't understand was who played the first monster, when the guy rang the bell and everyone hid while it came into town and left red marks on the doors. Who was that?

***SPOILERS AHEAD***

I, Robot: 8/10 - Very good movie that I've fallen in love with.

Zatoichi (again)

10/10 still.

The closest to perfection a film has ever been. Blending eastern with western styles and pairing violence with comedic catharsis.

Battle Royale (again)

9/10

One of the most important films ever. Very dark comedy witha poke at society and children killing eachother. No wonder I keep trying to recreate it on this board!

B00024JC4E.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Starsky & Hutch - 7/10 or (**1/2) The movie was pretty funny but the funniest part was easily the sequence where Owen Wilson sings the song that the real Hutch (David Soul) sang in the 70s. Funny movie though Vaughn wasn't as funny in this one as he usually is.

Edited by TheROC-Revolt

B00009YXAS.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Roger and Me - 7.5/10 or (***) Consider this, if you will, a film that shows the blueprint of Moore's later documentaries. The film is focused on Flint and how it degrades as a town after many are put out of work there. This was made in the 80s but certainly holds true to Moore's later view of Flint in BFC.

The Village: 7.5/10 - It was pretty good, but the only part I didn't understand was who played the first monster, when the guy rang the bell and everyone hid while it came into town and left red marks on the doors. Who was that?

*Spoilers*

It wasn't always him, it was a different person from the group of elders.

Daredevil: 5/10 - What the bloody hell was this? The best bit was the beginning where someone else played Murdoch.

8 Mile: 8/10 (for the fourth time) - Cliched but I think this movie is class. The Rap Battles at the end, especially the one against Papa Doc.

Guest Blade

I,Robot 8.5/10 - Will Smiths at his best in this as the no longer happy go lucky guy in most of his other films

Catwoman 7/10 - Berry is good but the film is a bit confusing at times but it is quite funny

B0001FGBUC.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Step Into Liquid - 7/10 or (**1/2) A nice little showcase of surfing and surfing action.

B00005JHVW.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Wayne's World - 8/10 or (***) Funny from beginning to end and I thank this film for remind us to remember how hot we thought Tia Carrere was in the 90s.

Wayne's World 2 - 7/10 or (**1/2) A funny sequel that holds up some of the humor of the first.

B00005JN0R.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I, Robot - ** or (4.5/10) - (N)

I thought this movie was a mess. I don't understand how one character can be written so well and have amazing dialogue(Sonny), and all the other(more important) characters be given dialogue that sounds like it belongs in From Justin To Kelly.

Will Smith's character really shouldn't even dislike robots, the reason given is totally stupid when you think about the circumstances he's in. :rolleyes:

Who comes up with this stuff?

Edited by Numbahs

The Village: 6/10

The ending was a bit anti-climactic for me, but it wasn't all that bad. Not a horrible movie though. A good flick with some really good underlying themes. What!? Blame the False Advertisements.

The Village - 7/10

**Semi-spoilers**

Once I got over the fact that I was disappointed from the lack of being scared or even creeped out (though a couple parts did make me jump I must admit), I was able to enjoy the movie for what it really was and not what the advertisements make you believe. It didn't take me long to figure out the twists since I knew that there would be one, so I was thinking while watching. I thought Bryce Dallas Howard was great in the movie and she has a very bright future ahead of her, and Adrien Brody did well with what he was given. The movie itself felt a lot shorter than it really was, which I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. But all in all it was worth the 7.50 (well $15 for my company of the evening).

Edited by J-Dubb

B0002OXVBO.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Super Size Me - 9/10

Hey big woman, you made a fat boy outta me...

I think the best part of this movie is its impactfulness. Sure Fahrenheit 9/11 and Bowling for Columbine (both very noteable and successful documentaries) made a mark on the mainstream, they weren't nearly as powerful. Perhaps it's the barrage of statistics (that are not partisan in any way), but I think it's rather the fact that this documentary touches on a timely and important issue in modern western society. Obesity is the cause of more deaths than any of the President's overseas ambitions, and it's about time a documentary is made with its priorities in check. Big thumbs up, and check out the DVD when it's released on September 28th.