What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

B00005JN4I.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Little Black Book - 4/10

A cinematic dilemna. Perfectly compitent on the acting front, but the creative end of things are rather bleak. The script is mismanaged with dramatic, comedic and romantic bits, with a little bit of satire thrown in. Brittany Murphy gives reason to believe she's better than films like these. Thumbs down.

Alien Vs. Predator: 5.5/10

I was surprised. I should have increased my expectations :P

B00026L920.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Seeing Other People - 6/10

While the script could have probably done with a rewrite (to revitalise some of the second act dialogue), it builds really well to the desired goal. Some of the supporting cast is weak in performance, Julianne Nicholson is really fabulous. A funny, sad and sometimes romantic comedy that has more working for it than against. Thumbs up.

Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy

8/10

-Amazingly hilarious, but I saw it at the drive-in, so I missed a whole lot of stuff thanks to other people talking, and the group I was with laughing. I'll watch it again when it comes out on DVD and probably enjoy it more.

Road Trip: 7/10

I was extremely suprised. Tom Green was hillarious in this and i loved that Sean William Scott wasn't a complete idiot for once.

B00005JNC0.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Garden State - 9/10

Garden State is the superbly written and directed debut of Zach Braff, who plays JD Dorian on NBC's Scrubs. It is both poignant and hilarious, sweet and sad; all the while enhanced with a savvy soundtrack that compliments the film's mood. The acting performances are really what makes Garden State such a gem. Natalie Portman plays by far her most original character to date, and manages to remain sweet while playing a noticeably unperfect person. Peter Sarsgaard is obviously brilliant, although one has come to expect such from the man who I consider to be the most talented actor in the business today. Ian Holm is the hidden gem of the film, playing the distraught and confused father of Braff's Andrew Largeman, seeing medication as the answer to his son's problems. Rarely has such a sweet ode to one's birthplace been made, and Zach Braff's debut film ensures that he will be around for a long time. Thumbs up, although I want to see the film again before I say too much more.

B00005Q79C.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Down To Earth - 8/10

I always hear people say Chris Rock isn't funny but that is such a lie. He's brilliant in this movie if you ask me. While the movie is funny, it's a little romantic at times too. Not a great deal, but a little bit. Quite sad at times too, specialy towards the end when he doesn't have a clue who anyone is anymore, well kind off. Anyway it had some really great laughs, the music was damn good too, and well Jennifer Coolidge is pretty damn good in this movie too.

Edited by JohnnyPerfect

B0000520Q1.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Road Trip - 8/10

Yet another damn good teen movie, which is what it is. Anyway Seann William Scott is damn awesome in this movie. He kind of has his American Pie style character, but plays it slightly different as he isn't as crazy in this film. Tom Green is as funny as always. So overall we had a really funny film with some really great characters, plus some super hot girls. Overall a really good film which did it's job.

Edited by JohnnyPerfect

career_opportunities.jpg

Career Opportunities

I fucking love this movie to death, for some odd reason. I first saw it on TBS at 4 AM during the Summer, and it was a good movie. So I went out and bought it. I love it, and I don't know why. Although, I did expect Jennifer Connelly to show some tits, for some reason :ohwell:

Rating - :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Edited by Tristy

B0001AW0HU.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Scary Movie 3 - 6/10 or (**1/2) Barely the worst in the series and it works due to the cameos. It still is hit or miss but it's got some decent humor. Jeremy Piven steals the show and the movie with his scene.

B0002B1628.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Scooby Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed - 3.5/10

This is just corny annoying bullshit that lacks anything redeeming for anyone over the age of 10 (with the lack of one brief moment towards the end of the movie, which I laughed at). I'd hate to be a parent taking his or her kid to see this. Thumbs down.

B00029LNYQ.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

The Ladykillers - 4/10

The Coen brothers attempt to utilize style to overcompensate for a lack of quality content. It attempts to strike the comedic Ocean's Eleven vein, but instead runs 20 minutes too long and spreads it's cast out too far. Hanks is the only redeeming quality of the film, and even he is a far cry from his Oscar winning form in this one. Again, thumbs down.

The Village

9/10

A beautifully crafted film that plays at everything you'd want. Phoenix, Howard and Brody are all superb and are supported well by the supporting cast. All the usual hype about the Shyamalan "swerves" plays in the back of your head, making you second guess yourself and ultimately makes a very good film great. Worth seeing but if anyone talks to you about it beforehand, put your fingers in your ears and hum.

Gosford Park

9.5/10

To come back from the cinema and follow one great film up with another made me a happy bunny. Gosford Park is wonderfully made, a period (1930s) drama set in an English stately home, with an incredible cast (including Maggie Smith, Derek Jacobi, Clive Owen, Richard E Grant...) in fact all the usual British acting crowd. The first half of the film is an exploration of "Upper Class" lifestyle intertwined with the "Servant" lifestyle of their staff. Very very funny, though might not be to everyones taste as it can be quite dry and subtle...In fact as one of the three American characters (who are looked down on by the British characters) says to one of the maids at the end "You British never seem to laugh do you?" to which she replies " We do, but only if it's something we find funny". That sums it all up really.

The second half of the film wanders into murder mystery category, with a real sense of whodunnit, as Stephen Fry's bumbling detective tries to solve the mystery.

Gosford Park is a masterclass in acting, directing and cinema. An instant classic. Clive Owen is beyond great, Richard E Grant pulls out a lovely understated performance and Maggie Smith is at times hilarious.

The second time I've seen it and remembering parts of the plot as it unfolded gave me a warm fuzzy filmlovers feeling. Superb.