What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

The Chronicles of Riddick

7/10

-Visually orgasmic...but there was not enough time put into the script. The film was enjoyable and dare I say it, even good...but I was expecting so much more from what Vin Diesel had wanted to be the Star Wars of our generation.

Diesel is Riddick. There's no doubt in my mind that he is the only man that could play the part...but with that said, I fear that we may have the next Arnold on our hands, minus the hilarious voice.

Farenheight 911 : 7/10

One sided but entertaining nonetheless, plus some stuff Has to be true. I don't think its all lies.

Transformers: The Movie: 8/10

I F****** Love this movie! Still get caught up with poor Optimus Prime :crying: Unicron is like always Badass, so is Galvatron. If you don't mind me, I'll be watching it again.

B00005JMFQ.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Love Actually - ****

In what is shaping up to be a miserable year for Christmas films, we need only to look back on the DVDs of last year's crops to be reminded of how they are done right. Along with Bad Santa and Elf, Love Actually helped to make last year possibly the best ever for Christmas themed movies, and upon multiple viewings, it continues to impress. From Richard Curtis (who's been a part of nearly everything notable out of the British entertainment industry in the past decade), this is clearly a film to be viewed by romantics and romantics alone. However, once you're drawn in with premise, Curtis' precision filmaking along with an extremely solid core cast make it an infectious treat. The writing is also surprisingly sharp for such an obvious romance, and make each of the specific stories unique. The clear breadwinner of the plots is the one shared between Colin Firth and Lúcia Moniz, which tells the story of a man who comes home to find his wife in bed with his brother, only to move away and eventually fall in love with his Portuguese maid. A real treat, and one of 2003's best movies. Thumbs up.

B00002E224.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Before Sunrise - ****

Richard Linklater is possibly the most consistent filmmaker around today. It started with 1991's "Slacker", and after "Dazed and Confused" cemented him has a solid veteran filmmaker, "Before Sunrise" made his place at the filmmaking icons table. Starring Julie Delpy and Ethan Hawke (who have since appeared as the same characters in two subsequent films), Before Sunrise is the story of two travellers who meet aboard a train, and decide to spend a night together in Vienna to prevent future regrets. In Linklater's traditional dialogue laden style (a style that influenced Kevin Smith to get into filmmaking), the movie is fascinating to hear, much less watch. The two stars are also able to bring the audience into their lives, and as one IMDB user adequately sums up: it "feels more like being with a couple, than a film about them". Thumbs up.

B0000TPA0G.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

The Order - **1/2

It's a shame that movies with drawing premises are so often rushed into production without working out the issues that drag down the screenplay, and this is a perfect example. I can't count the multitude of times films steeped in mythology end up being only interesting in premise, and whereas the idea of a secret order of Priests trained to fight various evil forms was enough to warrant a rental alone, what the movie produced was a dual sense of confusion and disappointment. The acting wasn't anything to shake a stick at; Heath Ledger lead the way but even his performance was over the top and in the end unconvincing. Mark Addy (CBS' "Still Standing) was horribly miscast in the role, and Shannyn Sossamon seemed uninspired in all of her screentime. Last time these three actors worked together with director Brian Helgeland it was the fun "A Knight's Tale"; this time around it's just dull and unintentionally goofy. The steam just runs out after 25-30 minutes. Thumbs down.

B0001DMVBC.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

House of Sand and Fog - 8/10 or (***) It has been said that the classic idea of a tragedy (or a performance piece where a few of the major characters die) is dead. While this may not count as a tragedy (it is more of a drama, really), it does contain a sad element about it with a great performance by Jennifer Connelly and a class performance by Ben Kingsley. A great, well-done story makes the performances not in vain, either.

B00001MXXH.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Ferris Bueller's Day Off - 7.5/10 or (***)

B000094A6C.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Biker Boyz - 5.5/10 or (**)

Quite a long break between posts, eh...

Edited by TheROC-Revolt