What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

B00005JKW0.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

A Walk to Remember - 7/10 or (**1/2) While the style of the story is cliche, the film actually breaks through its cliche with a good dramatic love story that isn't overboard on its sweetness (or drama). Shane West actually breaks through the ceiling by showing he has more talent than the sucky teen comedies he starred in before AWTR. Mandy Moore also brings on a solid performance with a character who isn't so overly nice to the point that it makes you wanna gag. Overall, a good teen love story not afraid to bust out a sudden sad turn.

B0000844MD.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Half Past Dead - 3/10 or (*) For every Matrix, Blade Runner, and Star Wars, there's a Freejack, Clash of the Titans, and Half Past Dead waiting to crap things up for sci-fi. Technically, it's really a Steven Seagal action flick, but the stupid futuristic themes tries to cover that with terrible results. I'm iffy as to whether to put it in the bottom 10 (sadly, it may not be as horrible as Queen of the Damned or Feardotcom). In any case, skip it unless you're madly in love with Steven Seagal, and if you're that, get help!

6305364648.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

True Lies - 7.5/10 or (***) Classic action/comedy. Arnold's best other than the Terminator franchise bar none (yes, even Jingle All The Way... :shifty: ).

B00006F2TV.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Spider-Man - 7.5/10 or (***) Another good film from Mr. Sam Raimi, who has at least 5 or 6 good films under his belt (the Evil Dead trilogy, A Simple Plan, and the 2 Spider-Mans).

B00008972O.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Killing Me Softly - 4/10 or (*1/2) Don't ask why I watched this, because I won't tell you.

B00008972O.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Killing Me Softly - 4/10 or (*1/2) Don't ask why I watched this, because I won't tell you.

I'll hazard a guess. Two reasons: one on the right side of Heather Graham's chest, the other on the left. ;)

Edited by TheROC-Revolt

Heat - 7/10

First time I saw it yesterday. And I was tired and the cast was pretty big, so I didn't follow it all. I think it'll probably go up to 8/10 or so next time I watch it.

Underworld - 5.5/10

Pretty bad up until the final half hour where it suddenly becomes Double Take (by which I mean plot twist city). If the entire movie was like the final act it would be rated higher.

Ali - 8/10

Very cool, but it also feels like a love letter rather than a biographical movie. Will Smith is a good Ali, though (and John Voight is an excellent Howard Cosell).

B0001BKAEY.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

The Matrix Revolutions - 5.5/10 or (**) Sadly, the chapter of the trilogy that should bring the most inventiveness, clever dialogue, and a rewarding ending, turns into a run-of-the-mill sci-fi flick with stilted dialogue (I laughed at the line, "I'm captain of this ship, I'll say where it has to go." because of this) and a sucky ending.

Edited by TheROC-Revolt

Christmas with the Kranks - 3/10

It's like a review of it I read saying something along the lines of avoiding the Kranks would be the best gift you could get your family and friends. The movie might have been a little better had it ended 30 minutes before it did, but alas it went on forever and a day. Shoulda saw the Incredibles instead, but oh well.

B00008EYA5.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

S.W.A.T. - 6/10 or (**1/2) Pretty decent popcorn action flick. It's doesn't steer far from explosion, gunfire, bang, bang, boom action, it's main selling point as a film. So, if you're an action fan, pop this one in. I GUARANTEE you it will be better than both Charlie's Angels for sure.

Guest Cereal Killer

Sideways - 8.5/10

Good film, it was slow at some parts but by the end of the movie you appreciate the whole film.

edit: typoed the rating :(

Edited by Cereal Killer

B000022TSW.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut - 8/10 or (***) Like Beavis and Butthead's big screen transformation 4 years earlier, South Park's movie manages to keep the brand of humor of a 22-minute episode and stretch it into a 1 1/2 hour film with no stretching out of the jokes and no shortage of hilarious moments. Plus, the genius writer in Trey Parker brings amazing musical numbers that not only serve for good laughs but for good quality overall.

Needless to say, if you're a South Park fan, you must see this NOW! Just flip the station over to Comedy Central and experience to geniusness for yourselves.

To spark a little discussion here, I think the South Park movie is exactly what the Beavis and Butt-Head movie should have been. The Beavis and Butt-Head movie, while hilarious, still just feels like I'm watching a 90 minute Beavis and Butt-Head episode. Which is a little painful since your average episode of Beavis without commericals or videos is about 5 minutes. However, the South Park movie kept the basic formula of the show while taking it to the next level and made it feel like something bigger than the show. You watch Bigger, Longer, & Uncut, you know it's what every TV show to movie transfer SHOULD be. It's the show, but so much bigger.

The Accused: 6.5/10

The film is very basic, it's basis on reality seems to be it's strongest and weakest point, because it is not dramatized enough it just seems so insignificant, some of the characters are just dull, such as the co-star of whom I forget her name, she played a lawyer, whereas Jodie Fosters portrayal of a mixed up rape victim was played quite inspirationally, you could feel that she was so alone.

Altogether it's work a look if only because it's based on a real life occurence, but don't go out of your way to watch it.

I agree totally with Zero. Whilst Beavis and Butthead do America isn't a bad film, it just lacks a certain factor, and it just feels like a feature length TV episode. South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut feels like South Park Extreme or Supersized ot whatever. It does offer so much more then the TV series and feels so much better. It is a great example of a good TV to film conversion, as it is BIGGER and offers more than the show.

Anyway:

Spider-Man 2 8.5/10

A fantastic film. but what stops it getting a higher rating? Well, at times it just feels like watching the first (which is no bad thing, the first is a very good film, 8.10 IMHO, but it just feels a bit samey in places - Another conversation between Peter and MJ as he takes out the trash, another burning building with people to save, MJ gets a wet shirt again, and the baddie is another scientist- failed experiment person. But, as said, the original was great, so it's not like I didn't mind them again. Also, at times the soap-opera style (which is one of the films better points) does get taken a tad too far.

But it's still an awesome film, and is quite funny (expecially for an Action-Adventure flick), and gets the poignant bits across well. Plus, their's lots of little gems and nuggets and references if you luck. And the fight scene on the mono-rail is AWESOME.

The Bourne Identity 7/10 - WHAT is all the fuss about? It's been notjhing above average everytime I've watched it.