What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

I had no interest in Gladiator and I'd never heard of LA Confidential until I looked up Crowe on Wikipedia to make sure I'd hadn't seen any of his movies!

I really don't watch many movies.

No one has any interest in Gladiator! You still see it!

I can't comment on Crowe as a whole, this is the first time I've ever seen him in a movie.

His acting for the role was fine. The only problem I had with him in that regard was whoever's decision it was to make him constantly just pace back and forth during his solo numbers.

But seriously. Holy shit his voice. He sounds like me trying to sing.

It probably has to do with his character. Javert's whole shindig is that

he's becoming insecure about himself as a protector of the law and whether he can still uphold it. Then after he's spared by Valjean he's not even sure which side of the law he's on, whether he should oblige his moral conscious that's telling him to not continue his hunt of Jean Valjean, because he might be a changed man. This is all done better in the book, though, and so is made more apparent. Javert's my favorite character after Eponine in Les Mis.

Speaking of, how brilliant was Samantha Barks? Best performance of the whole show. And Russell Crowe might not have been fantastic, but after seeing Pierce Brosnan sing in a movie, anything else is better than that.

Oh, yeah, believe me, I get it. It's just that constantly pacing back and forth is a bit of a boring visual, you know?

Also, yeah, Samantha Barks was wonderful here, as she was in the 25th Anniversary concert. Of course, here she had a much better Marius to work with.

Also, speaking of Pierce Brosnan, there's another person who I've never seen act! :shifty:

Edit: Wait! He was in Mrs. Doubtfire? Okay, nevermind then.

The...gimmick? Does being a musical count as a gimmick?

In this instance yes, since it set out to be genre defining.

I will say, I did enjoy every moment Sacha Baron Cohen was on the screen.

Edited by WalkerWGZ

Samantha Banks/Les Mis

Yeah, she was brilliant. I think it's why I had such a hard time getting invested in Marius/Corsette was because there was real chemistry between Eponine and Marius, that the main romance felt artificial. His ignorance also lead her character to her downfall which doesn't exactly help his likability. But yeah, her whole character was great and she was superb. Hope to see her get some more films off the back of this.

You've never seen the Brosnan Bond movies? Gasp, those are the most camp! You owe it to yourself to watch it!

I've seen a grand total of one Bond movie. It was the one that came out like four years ago. Quantum of Solace? Is that a Bond film? I got dragged along to that. I've tried to watch other Bond movies when they come on tv and I just end up bored and switch the channel to something else.

You've never seen the Brosnan Bond movies? Gasp, those are the most camp! You owe it to yourself to watch it!

I've seen a grand total of one Bond movie. It was the one that came out like four years ago. Quantum of Solace? Is that a Bond film? I got dragged along to that. I've tried to watch other Bond movies when they come on tv and I just end up bored and switch the channel to something else.

History's greatest monster, ladies and gentlemen.

But, no, you do not need to see the Brosnan Bond movies except for Goldeneye.

Also, yeah, Samantha Barks was wonderful here, as she was in the 25th Anniversary concert. Of course, here she had a much better Marius to work with.

I completely disagree there, Eddie Redmayne is a far better Marius than Nick Jonas. And I also enjoyed Crowe as Javert, his voice suited the role and it's by no means awful at all (he's not the strongest though either).