What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

Disney put the short that appears before Wreck-It Ralph online. If for whatever reason you haven't seen or have no interest in seeing Wreck-It Ralph, you owe it to yourself to watch this because it's really, really good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=aTLySbGoMX0

That is undoubtedly one their best short films. Up there with the alien one and the one with the clouds.

Saw another Norwegian film on Netflix, The Bothersome Man. It's a very sparse and very dark comedy. If that alone sounds good to you, it's worth the watch. The sound synch on Netflix seems off, but it's not a big deal. I laughed very loudly at several points. Dug it.

Didnt really enjoy Zero Dark Thirty. Too long and slow moving for me. My girlfriend enjoyed it though, so I think it just wasnt my cup of tea.

Just seen Flight and I enjoyed that much more. Denzel Washington is magnificent as usual and probably raises tje film to a level above what it would be with someone else playing Whit. I wont see Lincoln till tomorrow but right now Id pick Denzel for the Oscar.

Also saw The Last Stand on Wednesday. Im an Arnie fan so I was sold before I got my ticket but its definitely not for everyone. That said, the action is high octane, the dialogue is wooden and corny and Arnie is self-deprecating and looking like Clint Eastwood on steroids.

Confederate States of America. It's on Netflix it's like a documentary about what life would be like if the South had won the Civil War. Alternate History is always interesting to me, but my god this was racist as hell. I mean it makes sense that it would be but wow.

The saddest part of that entire movie is all the products that were advertised in the fake commercials were all real products at some point.

Saw Warm Bodies today, it was really cute and sweet.

Confederate States of America. It's on Netflix it's like a documentary about what life would be like if the South had won the Civil War. Alternate History is always interesting to me, but my god this was racist as hell. I mean it makes sense that it would be but wow.

The saddest part of that entire movie is all the products that were advertised in the fake commercials were all real products at some point.

Saw Warm Bodies today, it was really cute and sweet.

:o Really? We are in no way perfect but man we've come a long way from things like "Darky toothpaste"

As I'm hoping to watch as many films as I can at the moment, this week I've seen Repulsion, Zero Dark Thirty, The Sessions, Mildred Pierce, The Art of the Steal and The Killing (Kubrick) this week.

Absolutely loved The Killing - you can see that Reservoir Dogs is heavily influenced by it and I think it's a wonderful piece of filmmaking; which has urged me to watch the rest of Kubrick I just haven't got round to yet. Mildred Pierce was also great, really superb noir film which kept me engaged, entertained and interested from start to finish.

I thought Zero Dark was excellent, made better by an incredibly 'what the fuck' cameo from John Barrowman. I enjoyed Django Unchained more, but from what I've seen, I'd like Zero Dark to take best picture, really well made film. I think I liked it even more because my expectations weren't all that high as I didn't enjoy The Hurt Locker.

Sessions is really cute, quirky and heavy on laugh out loud moments. Just a really fun film.

The Art of the Steal was quite an average documentary which felt like it went on half an hour too long, despite only being 90 minutes. Just a bit dull, really.

Repulsion was really interesting. It had nothing on Rosemary's Baby for me, which was a comparison I was always bound to make having seen RB a week earlier. Beautifully shot and I'm in love with the lead. Some of the imagery is so memorable and the themes are extremely interesting, but it wasn't always engaging, which I can't work if it was the point or not as the film dealt a lot with alienation.

Ah crap. Weve been watching the Prison Break box set she got for Christmas and they just killed off

Abruzzi

. Sucks big time, he was by far my favourite.

Most badass death he could've had, though.
Yeah thats true. Its just a shame that hes gone and some of the less interesting guys are still going.

Also, to save me looking it up, do you know what the FBI guy has been in? He looks really familiar.

Raging Bull - As I was saying to Summers last night, I don't know why it took me so long to finally see this film. I thought it was phenomenal. I was worried some of the hype would detract from how I felt, but it was cracking. I just love the way it's shot, makes for some beautiful imagery; I think I just really like black & white. I can't really add any new insight to such an acclaimed film; De Niro was fucking incredible as was Joe Pesci. Dug it way more than I expected to.

Sex, Lies and Videotape - Planned to just start this last night, but it just gripped me and I couldn't turn it off. Very simple filmmaking with minimal characters and locations, but the script is excellent. It explores some really interesting themes, in particular the place of sex in relationships which I haven't seen explored in anywhere near this much depth on camera before. Excellent performances plus a really cracking script makes for really good viewing. As there's so much Soderbergh out there, what would people say is worth checking out? I've seen some of the more recent stuff and the Ocean's films. Outside of Traffic, much else I need to catch?