What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

Zodiac - I found the first hour to be boring, slow and more of a documentary than anything but it really gets going in the second hour. I didn't know much about the Zodiac Killer story, either, which made it more interesting and gripping for me.

The scene where Jake Gyllenhaal's character is in the basement of the house was the first scene in a movie to make me uncomfortable (in that good, scary way) in a long time. I love that movie.

Watched the first few episodes of Lovejoy, 80s British comedy with Ian McShane as an antiques dealer. Pretty good, definitely using it for my new work show. Also started on Columbo at home, which is fun, though recently watching a bunch of comedies makes me wish it was funnier.

Ian McShane doing puppy dog eyes is so weird.

Grizzly Man, American Movie and High School were all really interesting documentaries. Both Grizzly Man and American Movie contain characters who you can't quite believe exist; like some of them are complete nut jobs. Grizzly Man was probably my favourite; it really showed some phenomenal imagery and explored a real once in a life time tragedy. Just some really mind blowing images. American Movie was a lot of fun and had some nice bits of comedy, but I feel they really didn't explore how depressing some bits were, like when you look deeper into the main characters and his dreams and relationships, it's all quite a bit sad. High School was extremely interesting, especially the way it pioneered 'fly on the wall' documentary for the time, but I found it didn't stay with any certain subject enough for me to get invested or engaged, which sometimes lead to me becoming disinterested.

Forbidden Planet, which I think Hammy recommend to me, was also a lot of fun. A sci-fi which had really good effects for the time, did a really good job of building a sense of suspense, intrigue and wonder; but the finale sees it dip a little far into melodrama for my liking and the reveal, while interesting and clever, definitely hasn't aged all that well. A good fun flick, though.

Le Samourai was a film I expected to enjoy a lot, having fallen in love with a lot of French film from the 60's. It's absolutely beautiful to look at and the whole story keeps you engaged throughout. Great set pieces and sequences stay with you and I'd probably list it up there with my favourite films of all time. Can't quite articulate why and how much I loved this movie at the moment.

Yeah, from the snippets I've seen of American Movie, it seemed like a mockumentary more than anything. :shifty:

Also, whilst I'm here, I saw Django Unchained the other day and it was wonderful!

Ooh, and looking at the last page, I saw Confederate States of America once too! In a museum/theater type place in Bradford no less. Perhaps my most movie hipster moment ever.

I saw Silver Linings Playbook. While the acting was tremendous, the writing was cringeworthy in places. In particular, around the end of the second act when the stakes were raised in an utterly ridiculous way. Some of the humor also felt a bit too "haha, laugh at the crazy person!" for my taste. I really don't get the hype this film is receiving.

Yeah I watched Silver Linings Playbook yesterday and thought the same about the betting scene. I enjoyed most of the film and there was some great acting from Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence but it felt a bit too cliched for my liking, particularly so in the last third of the film.