What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

We went to see Hitchcock Blonde the other day at the theatre, which discusses the shower scene quite a bit. Plus it had two moments of full frontal nudity :shifty:

We also caught This is 40, which I liked, despite having a dozen plot threads, none of which are resolved...

I actually think Terminator 3 is good. Its not even close to the first two, but its a fun action movie.

Watching Expendables 2 for the second time. I didn't love it the first time I saw it, but on second viewing I am really enjoying it.

Really? I called the end 30 minutes in and from therein it was just really predictable. Kinda fun, though.

Watched two debut films recently, Bound and Following. I thought Bound was really great, and after reading about it in terms of psychology, its comparisons to noir film and patriarchy it made it even more interesting. A fun, fast moving plot full of tension and great sequences. Easily my 2nd favourite thing the Wachowski Brothers have directed.

Following was great to see what you could do on a micro budget and you can see a lot themes Nolan would go on to use in a number of his films in his debut. Some of the acting is a bit questionable at times, but the script is smart and more than makes up for it. Plan to watch Sydney/Hard Eight soon for another debut film.

Also watched Groundhog Day over the weekend for the first time which was great fun and The King of Comedy which was even better. Just loved everything about that film from script, to direction and especially the performances.

Towncraft.

It's an older documentary (2007) about the DIY punk community in Little Rock, Arkansas throughout the mid 80s/early 90s, and the sort of "evolution" of the scene as the kids who started it get older - moving away from punk and pop punk influences, towards grassroots rock'n'roll and other genres by the time the 21st century rolled around. It's a 2 hour long documentary, but I found it really interesting.

I saw Cobra today. O boy, a lot of people die in this movie. The knife the main bad guy uses (forgot his name already) is kinda nice. I don't if I have to like this movie or not, but it was watchable and I enjoyed it. So I guess I like this film.

Watched a lot of things lately, including To The Wonder and The Purple Rose of Cairo which are both magical for completely different reasons. But finally just watched The Silence of the Lambs for the first time and it was brilliant, totally lived up to the hype. Are any of Manhunter, Hannibal or Red Dragon worth watching? From what I can understand, the first and last of those three seem to be better received, but I'm not in any main rush to watch any of them - just wondering for the future really.