What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

Just watched Seven Psychopaths and I very much liked it which I suppose was not a surprise considering In Bruges is one of my favorite movies. Rockwell, Walken, and Harrellson were great as always. And you gotta love every time Tom Waits shows up in a movie.

Been rewatching Leone's westerns, all great. Got A Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More, and The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly so far. Leone's final standoffs are all sublime. Really would have liked to see Gian Maria Volonte somewhere in TGTBTU but oh well.

• Like 1

Stoker

Kind of funny that I thought a spring break movie would be more disturbing than a Park Chan-Wook movie. But damn is this good. Mia Wasikowsai is one of those actresses that is fascinating in her actions even when her defined character is "be really silent." And I like that the movie doesn't seek a redemptive life for its leads. It's really just a slow examination into a complicated depravity that is pretty skin-crawling. In an entertaining way, of course, but it is still skin-crawling.

Got dragged to The Host by Stokerina last night.

Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh.

The only way in which anyone will judge the film will be to ask "is it as terrible as the Twilight movies?", to which the answer is "no". So well done Stephanie Meyer: you succeeded in beating the crappy standard set by your own crappy self.

Neither I nor Stokerina came away actually liking it though, for two different reasons:

Stokerina: because, as a fan of the book, she was infuriated by the way they cut out all the best bits/messed around with other bits/generally hacked the plot together, Apparently they didn't do this with Twilight and stayed (horrendously) faithful to it, which made her extra-infuriated in that context. Perhaps she had forgotten what film adaptations of books are like. My theory for this is that Twilight is just a shitty love triangle story, whereas this book was only partly a shitty love triangle (square?) story and they had to cut out everything else to make it into one. BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT YOUR 13 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER WANTS.

Me: because, with it all said and done, it's still a pretty terrible film.

I watched Room 237 yesterday. The only stuff that stood out were the theories on the Native Americans and the Apollo missions/2001: A Space Odyssey.

I really liked that film and how it was presented. I've heard most of the theories before but not told in that way.

Side Effects

Best movie I've seen in 2013 so far. First time I've actually enjoyed Rooney Mara in a leading role and Jude Law was surprising fantastic - I think it is because he no longer has his boyish young look. Plus, I love it when directors sneak neo-noir into a film when I'm not expecting it.

Agree on how good Side Effects was, except it being unnecessarily obvious at one point when things are very clear. Rooney Mara is quickly becoming one of my favourite actresses. It's a shame Soderbergh is supposedly not gonna make anything else for cinema, but we'll see. Probably not the best thing I've seen this year though, I think it's probably In The House, Stoker or No. In The House is an excellent foreign film which I'd recommend everyone go and watch. Very creative, interesting, tense and funny.

Olympus Has Fallen has to be up there for comedy of the year. I'm saddened by the fact that they didn't credit the child that was so obviously part of the writing team.

• Like 1

Yeah, I need to watch more Herzog. Liked Grizzly Man a lot, fell asleep during Aguirre. Not being able to understand anything makes it tough for me to pay attention, but I'll be giving it another effort one of these days.

This weekend my friend and I had our annual bad movie marathon, and this is what we watched this year:

Anaconda- So much fun. A tour de force performance by Ice Cube. I have no fucking idea what accent Jon Voigt was going for.
The Devil's Advocate- This is not so much a bad movie, but it has A LOT of Pacino and Keanu hamming it up, which is something we look for in these marathons.
Season of the Witch- Nicolas Cage is always a favorite of ours in the same vein as Pacino, but this was awful. Not enough action and ham. Incredibly boring.
Street Fighter- Now this was just a masterpiece. RIP Raul Julia.
Delgo- A (poorly) animated movie that when it was released was the worst wide release for any film ever. This movie was boring as shit.
Cool As Ice- The Vanilla Ice musical romance movie. This was way more fun than I expected it to be. I'm baffled that this movie got made though. That would be like Macklemore getting a movie today.
The Room- We always watch this one last. I've seen it probably over 10 times and it's just as good as it was the first time. The ultimate "so bad, it's good" movie.

Got dragged to The Host by Stokerina last night.

Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh.

The only way in which anyone will judge the film will be to ask "is it as terrible as the Twilight movies?", to which the answer is "no". So well done Stephanie Meyer: you succeeded in beating the crappy standard set by your own crappy self.

Neither I nor Stokerina came away actually liking it though, for two different reasons:

Stokerina: because, as a fan of the book, she was infuriated by the way they cut out all the best bits/messed around with other bits/generally hacked the plot together, Apparently they didn't do this with Twilight and stayed (horrendously) faithful to it, which made her extra-infuriated in that context. Perhaps she had forgotten what film adaptations of books are like. My theory for this is that Twilight is just a shitty love triangle story, whereas this book was only partly a shitty love triangle (square?) story and they had to cut out everything else to make it into one. BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT YOUR 13 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER WANTS.

Me: because, with it all said and done, it's still a pretty terrible film.

Read a review on this movie on, I think, Io9...said it was "the best worst film you'll ever see"

So, with my recent facisnation with Adam Scott (My God, that man is brilliant), I've decided to start watching some of his movies, starting with Friends With Kids. That show has a stellar cast, with Jon Hamm and Maya Rudolph among the cast. It was alright, I guess, Scott was damn good, as was drunk Jon Hamm.

Can't wait to watch Bachelorette and The Vicious Kind, which are the next two on my list.

I can see that but meh, I dunno. While they do what most teen shows do and insert random love triangles and angst, I thought it was an interesting progression overall. Ultimately I'm not sure I'd actually disagree with you but I do think the show is a lot more confident in Season 2 and its nice to see shows become confident in their storytelling and it usually leads to good things.