What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

I finally saw The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King. It had a few parts I genuinely liked, but it felt very masturbatory the majority of the time. I remember liking The Two Towers and sorta liking the first one. I wonder if my opinion on those would change if I saw them again now.

I also watched A Dangerous Method. It's not a perfect film, but worth a watch. Some interesting examination of repression versus abandon. Fassbender and Mortensen aren't bad in it, and Vincent Cassel has a decent supporting role. Haven't made up my mind about Keira Knightley. She really commits herself to the role, but I'm tempted to call it overacting.

We Need to Talk About Kevin

Absolutely devastating film. I can't recall the last time I was that tense while watching a movie. Great performances. Fantastic direction and editing. All of it was clearly done in selfless service of the project itself, which turned out to be a horrific - but mesmerizing - story.

Spring Breakers

I would normally try to numerically quantify a movie, but I don't know if I can here. Someone asked me if it was "good" and I didn't have enough space or time to say "there's insane things happening once every 10 minutes in a movie that also is weirdly dull in some places and the most hilarious thing I've seen in a cinema in others." Especially because I would have to describe the insane things. Ah fuck it, I have spoiler tags. I'll go in order:

- Within five minutes, I'm pretty sure there is about 20 pairs of breasts on screen. I didn't really count, though.

- TWO MINUTES LATER, Jeff Jarrett shows up in flashbacks playing a Christian preacher (wearing Jeff Jarrett-like Affliction shirts) who preaches at Selena Gomez's church.

- Five minutes later, James Franco is in cornrows with a grill rapping literally the most off-beat rap in history. (Oh by the way, there is all kinds of absurd intercuts to ridiculous spring break behavior at this point and basically at every point when Harmony Korine gets bored with his own movie and needs abs, breasts, and asses.

- Also, three of the four girls rob a diner in an intense moment of cognitive dissonance where we only see the driver driving around to Nicki Minaj's "Moment 4 Life."

- Some insane party shit happens, pretty sure it led to Vanessa Hudgens' alleged newfound cocaine habit.

- Midway through the movie, James Franco is almost robbed by the girls and forced to fellate a gun silencer like a penis. This is only funny because they showed the trailer for his next movie beforehand where Danny McBride joked about him sucking off men on a nightly basis.

- Then they rob a group of people to Britney Spears' "Every Time" in a true amazing ridiculous mess of a scene, yet one perfect for the insane logic and tastes of the characters involved.

- The conclusion, where Vanessa Hudgens and Amber Benson kill everyone in their wake including GUCCI MANE but excluding the two women Gucci Mane was around who were exclusively there to have sex with Gucci Mane and then have sex with each other in the shower. So much to read into that if I want to go full-on pretentious.

In short, pretty sure me and Tristy would be the only people who would love the hell out of this movie.

Spring Breakers

I would normally try to numerically quantify a movie, but I don't know if I can here. Someone asked me if it was "good" and I didn't have enough space or time to say "there's insane things happening once every 10 minutes in a movie that also is weirdly dull in some places and the most hilarious thing I've seen in a cinema in others." Especially because I would have to describe the insane things. Ah fuck it, I have spoiler tags. I'll go in order:

- Within five minutes, I'm pretty sure there is about 20 pairs of breasts on screen. I didn't really count, though.

- TWO MINUTES LATER, Jeff Jarrett shows up in flashbacks playing a Christian preacher (wearing Jeff Jarrett-like Affliction shirts) who preaches at Selena Gomez's church.

- Five minutes later, James Franco is in cornrows with a grill rapping literally the most off-beat rap in history. (Oh by the way, there is all kinds of absurd intercuts to ridiculous spring break behavior at this point and basically at every point when Harmony Korine gets bored with his own movie and needs abs, breasts, and asses.

- Also, three of the four girls rob a diner in an intense moment of cognitive dissonance where we only see the driver driving around to Nicki Minaj's "Moment 4 Life."

- Some insane party shit happens, pretty sure it led to Vanessa Hudgens' alleged newfound cocaine habit.

- Midway through the movie, James Franco is almost robbed by the girls and forced to fellate a gun silencer like a penis. This is only funny because they showed the trailer for his next movie beforehand where Danny McBride joked about him sucking off men on a nightly basis.

- Then they rob a group of people to Britney Spears' "Every Time" in a true amazing ridiculous mess of a scene, yet one perfect for the insane logic and tastes of the characters involved.

- The conclusion, where Vanessa Hudgens and Amber Benson kill everyone in their wake including GUCCI MANE but excluding the two women Gucci Mane was around who were exclusively there to have sex with Gucci Mane and then have sex with each other in the shower. So much to read into that if I want to go full-on pretentious.

In short, pretty sure me and Tristy would be the only people who would love the hell out of this movie.

Oh trust me, me and my friend cannot wait for this. I've had another friend who loved this. I'm getting me my bag of popcorn and I intend to enjoy the shit out of this film.

Out of interest, what else of HK is worth checking out? Everything has mixed reviews so I didn't know what to check out.

Everything is gonna have mixed reviews because he polarizes many people with his stuff. Check out Gummo and Mister Lonely. And check out Kids, as well. (Though he only wrote that one, but still.)

I've been wanting to see the movie desperately. Harmony Korine's brand of insanity is totally right up my alley.

I think he's finally harboring that insane potential. With a guy like him, it's either great or totally awful. But a movie like this has some spot-on casting and unlike something like Ken Park (which he only wrote, to be fair) is always visually interesting. So yeah.

Also just realized I watched Skyfall finally. I mean, I don't think there's anything more that I could bring other than I really liked it. Found it interesting I was way more enthralled with the flirtation between Craig and Naomie Harris than by the typical Bond girl that shows up. Also, is Javier Bardem's acting challenge that he can look patently ridiculous yet still be a real unhinged terror on screen? Because he's passing that challenge.

Goddamn Fried Green Tomatoes is a good movie. Why did it take me so long to watch it? A++++, would watch again. Probably going to pick the book up at some point in the future too.

Been watching Blue Mountain State on Netflix. Wow...I wish I caught the show when it was still on the air. The show is really funny