What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

Lincoln was basically everything I expected it to be. Daniel Day Lewis is fantastic, as is the rest of the cast, which is so loaded and diverse; including some of TV's best actors including the guy who played Gale in Breaking Bad. The make-up and costumes were excellent to the point where I didn't recognise James Spader or Jackie Earle Haley. It's obviously got a universal theme everyone can get behind and it was a very enjoyable film, with some very well played out dramatic moments. Yeah it's really good, but I don't think it's spectacular outside of Lewis' performance, and a very touching turn from Tommy Lee Jones. Still can't decide if I'd rather see DDL or Phoenix walk away with an oscar.

Just need to see Holy Motors and Beasts and then I think I could quite happily make my top 10 for 2012.

Also watched other great films this week; Touch of Evil was easily the standout, Capturing the Friedman's was an excellent subjective doc about a very shocking subject matter, Written on the Wind was surprisingly fun for a melodrama and The Damned United satisfied my love for both film and football. Oh, and Michael Sheen.

It's a Disaster -- B+

God, this ruled. If you're a fan of movies like In The Loop that become blazing fast collections of jokes interspersed with pitch black satire, this is it for you. I don't know any other way to describe it without really spoiling much of the movie. Even the posters (and admittedly the title) kind of spoil the action mid-way, although I don't think knowing the plot will affect your enjoyment. It might be worth a re-watch if I view it higher than this, to be honest.

What We Do Is Secret A movie about the late 70s/early 80s LA punk group The Germs. NEver really listened to them much until recently. Germs guitarist Pat Smear was a producer and even went so far as to recruit former Germs members to teach the cast how to play the songs, so the songs played in the movie were actually recorded by the cast of it. Smear had said the cast members playing was "Better then we were at our worst, which is a compliment". Really enjoyed the movie, Shane West plays Darby Crash, singer for The Germs. He was good enough that the band has reformed with him replacing Darby as the singer.

Die Hard 5. I definitley prefer 4 out of the two, but it was enjoyable and had some great set pieces. Jai Courtney was pretty good as the son too.

I liked Wreck It Ralph too. I was hoping for more real life references.

Surprisingly looking forward to see This is 40 tomorrow.

Edited by ZJ Penn

TV Heaven, Telly Hell. What a marvelous show. CAPITAL PUNISHMENT.

These closing skits are all amazing. Except David Mitchell's, which is a horrible disappointment.

Noticing you are enjoying your British comedies at the moment. TV Heaven, Telly Hell was a really underrated show. Mitchell, Lee Mack and surprisingly Johnny Vaughan all had really great episodes.

I saw Warm Bodies today. Deserve the watch. Pretty good, doesn't try too hard or overstate itself. Can't really fault the execution much. However, I'm finding it hard to pick anything exceptional about it.

re-watching Jericho season 1, as I type and will be watching another couple of episodes from american horror story season 1 after (watched season 2, but first watch-through of season 1 at the moment).

Finally got round to watching Rebel Without A Cause, my first James Dean film. I thought it was phenomenal, and I now appreciate how great Dean was. Just a great picture about teenage life which was thoroughly entertaining from start to finish. Really dug it.

A Bit of Fry and Laurie. Wonderful. Love all the fourth wall breaking, probably the smartest use of it I've ever seen.

This shit right here. It's perhaps my favorite sketch show ever.

Yeah, I was watching the Mitchell and Webb shows which are very good, but Fry and Laurie is incredible. Snuff Box is somewhere in the middle.