What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

It was terrible. Every scene was stretched too long, and every joke (most of which was bad in the first place) was abused to the point of me just wanting to mute the damn thing. Charlize Theron's character's husband was horrible, MacFarlane trying to turn him into a joke was disgusting. MacFarlane himself was horrible, one of the worst protagonists of a film ever.

• Like 1

Ant Man was a fun film, liked Paul Rudd's role and his interactions with Michael Douglas. I wasn't the biggest fan of Scott Lang's band of criminal friends though, and Marvel still has a problem with creating memorable villains. 

• Like 1

I can totally forgive lack of memorable villains in a first outing for a superhero, because their focus is understandably elsewhere, but I think they've got a real problem in their second instalments. Iron Man 2 and Thor 2 had such terrible villains, and there's no real excuse once the hero is already established. The Dark Knight managed to have two great villains (and to be fair, Batman Begins also had a brilliant villain too). I don't think it's any coincidence that Winter Soldier's considered one of the better Marvel films because it does a pretty good job with its antagonists. Likewise, The Avengers had Loki (an actual successful villain from a first instalment).

I watched an early screening of Southpaw tonight and really liked what I saw despite the fact that I had to watch it through bitter bloody tears of how relentlessly depressing it is.

On the real, I had no idea until I looked the film up that Kurt Sutter wrote it. 

I wanted to see it until I found that out

The melodrama involved is definitely classic Sutter, but Jake Gyllenhaal's performance really helped get past it.

I've been on a cold war kick recently so I decided to compare two nuclear fallout films. American made The Day After and British made Threads. What a difference! Nuclear devastation in America is almost Disney like compared to Britain. Bumfuck, Kansas gets mullured by some nukes and it's pretty much business as normal. Compared to the desolate, disease-ridden hellscape that is Sheffield. And that was BEFORE the nukes hit.

• Like 1

Just left an early screening of Vacation. It's predictable and formulaic, but it made me laugh throughout. There's just something about a foul mouthed little asshole kid like the ones in Talledega Nights that make me laugh a lot.

I watched Ted 2 last night in a fit of insomnia. Despite enjoying the first film for what it was, I was pretty underwhelmed by the sequel. It had its moments where I genuinely laughed out loud, but felt pretty flat for the majority of the time.

Rehashing the Giovanni Ribisi plotline from the first film felt like needless padding in a near two hour movie. Could have been tightened up considerably.

I watched a movie last night called The Theatre Bizarre. It's a collection of six short horror films, and they range from bizarre (a serial killer who gets high off of people's eye juice and then gains their memories) to bizarrely thoughtful (a short, 5 minute or so film about a mother and daughter discussing the nature of death). It's also got Tom Savini in it!

• Like 1

I love The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford more every time I see it.

It's insane it didn't win any Oscars, especially Roger Deakins for cinematography. So beautiful. 

• Like 1