What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

B00005JKXE.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Kung Pow: Enter The Fist - 7/10 or (**1/2) Rarely do films that purposely use stupidity for solid comic effect work. However, Steve Oedekerk's Kung Pow utilizes this well enough to be hilarious, as Oedekerk quotes and does seemingly anything he can think of in his impersonations of the characters. It is this insanity that somehow makes the film quotable and even funnier after repeated viewings. While this comic idea will certainly detract viewing audiences (there are many, many stories of people leaving the theatre just scattered around every message board out there), it is worthwhile if intelligence is unnecessary in your comedy.

Collateral 8/10

A good film, that I'm glad I saw. Some good performances, and great scenes, but a few scenes are a bit meh, and the dialogue is patchy (as in great one minute, poor the next). Overall though, a good film.

Without A Paddle - 6.5/10

I expected this to be a really good movie, and it disappointed me. Some funny parts, though. Ethan Suplee and Burt Reynolds were involved in the majority of the funny parts.

Friday Night Lights - 8.5/10

I'm a football fan so I enjoyed the movie. I'd recommend it to any football fan.

B0000DJZC2.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

My Boss's Daughter - *1/2 (3/10)

From director David Zucker, who was the mind behind brilliant comedies such as Airplane, BASEketball and the Naked Gun films, My Boss's Daughter is a tragically unfunny movie that makes the fatal assumption that throwing A-list actors on screen with a lame script will somehow suceed with teenaged audiences. Starring inexplicable celebrities Ashton Kutcher and Tara Reid, the film follows Kutcher's Tom Stansfield, the reserved employee who has feelings for the boss' daughter Lisa(hence the title). When Lisa asks him to housesit for her, he misunderstands the invitation and accepts without question, but when he attempts to follow through on his promise, all hell breaks loose. Now while the film is loaded with ex-SNL cast members and seasoned comedic performers, it is inexplicably bogged down in tired comedic cliches. There is not a single original moment in this film, and for this reason it leaves an odd taste upon it's completion- as if you've already been fed this bullshit before. People like Jeffrey Tambor and Michael Madsen are completely wasted in this derivative embarassment. Thumbs down. I said this was one of the worst films of 2003, and I stand by that.

6302116996.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Come Blow Your Horn - ***1/2 (7/10)

This 1963 classic was filmed at the height of Frank Sinatra's popularity, and is conveniently placed between The Manchurian Candidate and Robbin and the 7 Hoods. The reason it is so well placed is because if you combined the legitimate drama of Manchurian Candidate with the toungue in cheek musical cool of Robbin and the 7 Hoods, this is pretty much exactly what you'd get. Come Blow Your Horn is the big screen adaptation of a Neil Simon Broadway hit, although with only a single musical number and the biggest star in the music industry leading the cast, you'd hardly notice. What's really good here is the comedy, most specifically the stuff that involves Lee J Cobb as the overbearing father, and Molly Picon as the supportive mother. Although not a classic by any means, this is a great vehicle for Sinatra that should be seen by all fans of his. Thumbs up.

B00020X88O.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Showgirls - 0/10 or (0*) As the most panned film of the 90s, Showgirls easily gains enough reasoning to be the worst movie of its time, and even of all time.

First, the performance by lead Elizabeth Berkley as Nomi Rogers is too caustic and out of control to make her character clear or to make you care about it.

Second, the writing by Joe Eszterhaas is too dreadful for anybody's good and in turn weakens nearly every performance seen in the film (including Kyle MacLachlan's, which is the worst for me to see as a minor David Lynch fan).

Third, another major issue with Eszterhaas is his lack of finding a true genre for his flick, it eyes to be a drama, but is far too unintentionally funny to be the case; it looks to be a chick flick, but shows too much skin to keep ladies interested. You can also consider the opposites of what I just said to apply as well.

Fourth, Paul Verhoeven finds himself stuck in the wrong type of film, especially condering his only true genre of superiority was always sci-fi.

The fifth and final reason could be the terribly wrong message sent throughout the movie: Sex leads to the top. Sure, there has been cases in Hollywood where that has worked, but all it seems in true reality this would lead to is an arrest record or STDs. In any case, Showgirls shows many reasons why Eszterhaas gave up. And frankly, I don't miss him one bit.

Star Wars Episode I:The Phantom Menace 7/10

Star Wars Episode II:Attack of The Clones 8/10

Just my Opinion guys...don't kill me :shifty:

B00003CYJ4.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Kissing Jessica Stein - **** (8/10)

Kissing Jessica Stein, written by and starring Jennifer Westfeldt and Heather Juergensen has been often described as "lesbian cinema", a title that is really quite inaccurate when you consider the specifics. Neither of the two main characters, Helen and Jessica, are lesbians, and I'm not entirely sure that Jessica is even bisexual when her place in the relationship is brought into consideration. I also think that tagging on such a label creates expectations in the minds of viewers, and in truth, this isn't "that" kind of movie. In fact, it's a completely original spin on the conventional romantic comedy, pairing two bi-curious women who meet through a classified section. Westfeldt is fantastic in the lead role, and plays her as likeable although imperfect. Through Juergensen's Helen, those faults become much clearer, and both characters are much more complex because of it. The leading ladies really get the script (they should, they wrote it); this propels the film from good to excellent. Thumbs up.

B00003CXPS.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Little Nicky - 5.5/10 or (**) Somehow the idea of Adam Sandler being Satan's son should've automatically made this Sandler's coolest and best flick, simply on possibilities. Little Nicky does take slight advantage of this by casting famed actors such as Harvey Keitel and Rodney Dangerfield in Luciferific roles. It also should've scored points by scoring the best Sandler romantic interest ever in the cute but talented Patricia Arquette. Unfortunately, this film directed by Steven Brill, while still laugh-worthy at points, goes beyond stupidity at others and places blatant product placement from those cajun cookers at Popeyes, no less. While it's not a bad Sandler flick, it isn't hardly as entertaining of a vehicle as 50 First Dates, Billy Madison, or even The Waterboy.

B0006NH7ZW.01-A2X3FMBNSRPS6U._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Million Dollar Baby- 8/10 Good movie. Although I have one gripe. Eastwood does not deserve the Oscar nomination over Jim Carrey. Sorry Clint, but your just not Oscar material in this one. Swank should easily get the Best Actress award because of the role she played.

B0006IBB4U.01-A2X3FMBNSRPS6U._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Hotel Rwanda- 9/10 Fantastic movie. Don Cheadle certainley deserves the Best Actor award at the Oscars, but it looks like Jamie Foxx will get it. Still, this was a fantastic film, and Cheadle's performance was great.

B00000JQTQ.01.LZZZZZZZ.gif

Nightmare on Elm Street Part 5: Dream Child- 6.5/10 Better then the previous installment, but still not great. 4th favorite of mine that I've seen(all but Part 6).

B00001MXXM.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Friday the 13th- 7.5/10 Classic horror film, though its the worst out of the big 3 franchises(Halloween, NOES, and this) IMO. Still, really shocking(well, it would be shocking had I not known already) ending with an old lady revealed to be the killer.

B00005JND5.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Ray- 8.5/10 The acting made this movie. Great performances from almost everyone in this movie. I was espically surprised in the performance of Clifton Powell. Jamie Foxx was as good as he was hyped up to be, but I just don't know if his performance was better then Cheadle's.

6305310343.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Coming To America - 8/10 or (***) Coming to America may be one of the best Eddie Murphy flicks and certainly better than the disasters that came many years after it. Both Murphy and co-star Arsenio Hall supply great hilarity in this slightly fluffy but always funny rom-com. The flick works because of the humor and makes it always great to watch.

B0000AMRUM.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Dreamcatcher - 4.5/10 or (*1/2) A little bit elevated from the past grade if only for the not bad performances by the entire cast, which includes three of the best Hollywood talents out there in Jason Lee, Tim Olyphant, and of course, Morgan Freeman. Unfortunately, as hard as they try, they're somewhat wasted in a tale that seems to take far too many cues from past Stephen King adaptations to try to create a good film. (SSDD is heard in Shawshank, the boyhood scenes seem to look too much like Stand By Me, etc.) Also, the effects are pretty poor in quality despite a said $60 million budget. All in all, it's sad to see such modern greats be wasted, but as is big screen Hollywood.