What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

First Reformed was pretty good. There were moments where it sort of dropped the ball for me, particularly the messy ending, but overall I quite enjoyed it. An extremely interesting discussion regarding faith, your beliefs and the personal struggle between yourself and the portrayal of yourself to those around you.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone seen BlacKkKlansman? I'm still processing it, but my initial feeling for the movie was that I almost completely loved it. I've seen so many reviews and thoughts on it that go back and forth, though, so would love to hear what any of you think as well.

I saw it in the summer and quite enjoyed it then as I thought everything was solid-to-good concerning the acting, pacing and moments of tension. It has one of the most powerful endings to a film that I've seen in recent times too.

I understand some criticism i.e. historical accuracy and Boots Riley's comments but neither things impacted my enjoyment.

I really hate that I missed Mission Impossible: Fallout when it was in theaters because it is amazing. I liked Cavill as Superman but if he's done with it, I'm kind of glad he won't be tied down to that as I'd like to see him do more. 

• Like 1

Pretty sad about Mid90s being pretty incomplete and actually quite lifeless. No idea if this was meant to be longer, but everything felt improperly handled. Lucas Hedges' character as the brother is terribly done, I feel it's the worst mistake of the movie, and outside of the amazing acting and chemistry the child actors have, there's nothing much else. The soundtrack is killer and the skateboarding is proper fun to watch, I guess?

Patient Zero. After some sort of super-Rabies type pandemic  infects most of humanity (6 billion+), survivors in a military facility try the find the first victim (the patient zero of the title) in order to affect a cure. The twist is that one of the survivors was bitten and is not only immune, but is able to communicate with the victims.

Starring Matt Smith (The 11th Doctor), John Bradley (Samwell Tarly from Game of Thrones), Natalie Dormer (Margaery Tyrell from Game of Thrones, Cressida from the Hunger Games movies), Clive Standen (Rollo from Vikings, Bryan Mills from the short-lived Taken tv series), and Stanley  Tucci (Caesar from the Hunger Games movies and a shit-ton of other stuff). Smith and Dormer are the leads.

Funny thing about the movie is that of the British cast, Natalie Dormer is the only one not playing an American. So if you've ever wanted to hear Matt Smith with an American accent, here's your chance. The movie is pretty good, but apparently it was filmed in 2016 and unreleased until August 2018. Originally it was going to be a zombie movie called Patient Z, and its a good thing they changed it to a pandemic. 

It is actually a pretty good film, but the ending is kind of meh. (Leaves it open for a sequel that will probably never happen.)