What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

Can't wait for that to get released over here, it look so good

Finally got back in the flow of going to the cinema more, would totally recommend seeking out Vox LuxMadeline's Madeline (which is currently on Mubi) and Beats. All completely different, the last two made on really small budgets, but always doing something really interesting. For British people, definitely go and check out Beats if you can - it's proper fun. 

Also saw Long Shot, which I found charming and easy. Always happy to have a film like that in my life. 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎18‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 21:41, JMarushin said:

Had pretty low expectations for Tag but we ended up really liking it, like 7 out of 10 liking it!

Same. I had no interest in seeing it. My friend suggested it to me and I enjoyed it much more than I expected. It was a fun way to kill an hour and a half. And Jon Hamm is much funnier than I would have guessed. 

I'm always super late to the party but I'm almost done with Mindhunter. I've enjoyed it quite a bit too. 

• Like 1

We watched The Little Stranger over the weekend and it really was pretty weaksauce (as my wife decried at the end "Well, that movie sucked")

The pacing was horribly slow - which, I don't mind slow movies, but this one just dragged on and the time wasn't spent on anything meaningful or that really contributed to the movie that much - the movie is 2 hours and the plot doesn't begin in earnest until the halfway point

Domhnall Gleeson played his role pretty well and the rest of the cast did ok - they weren't really challenged that much so I can't really say they were OUTSTANDING or anything

The plot itself had some merit to it but it was so poorly told that it was almost hard to focus on it. 

I'm not one of those "THE BOOK WILL ALWAYS BE BETTER THAN THE MOVIE" kind of people, but it this instance, the book almost has to be better because the movie was terrible.

To me it was like someone doing a really shitty job of telling a ghost story that they heard from someone else while also talking about Downton Abbey

Probably give it a 3 out of 10

Kajaki: The True Story

Its on iPlayer at the moment. I've watched it before, I think, probably on iPlayer. It is well worth a watch, one of those war-films-without-the-war.

On 18/06/2019 at 21:41, JMarushin said:

Had pretty low expectations for Tag but we ended up really liking it, like 7 out of 10 liking it!

I feel the same way. But that's because I have low expectations of anything with Ed Helms in it, after struggling trying to get through Vacation.

Right now I'm watching season 3 of Designated Survivor. Jarring getting used to the more adult tone (language, showing gay characters in bed, etc), but they're tackling more relevant real world issues and I like the new cast additions. Though I do miss Paulo Constanzo and Zoe McLellan.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, GhostMachine said:

I feel the same way. But that's because I have low expectations of anything with Ed Helms in it, after struggling trying to get through Vacation.

Right now I'm watching season 3 of Designated Survivor. Jarring getting used to the more adult tone (language, showing gay characters in bed, etc), but they're tackling more relevant real world issues and I like the new cast additions. Though I do miss Paulo Constanzo and Zoe McLellan.

Gotta agree with this, Tag was not a bad film after having low expectations for it, Ed Helms has been in some pretty poor films in recent times

Over the weekend we watched:

The Institution - A James Franco project - we gave it a 5 out of 10: It had a nice setting, Franco was good, the rest were decent - lacked depth in the story though; seemed like they wanted to do more and then for whatever reason just said screw it, let's wrap it up. Disappointing :(

I Still See You - Really cool movie with a cool concept. Bella Thorne and the Kid from the 100 did alright - the story verged into a little too much of a Young Teen Novel sort of story that I thought took away from the concept but c'est la vie. The story was pretty cool and engaging, probably could have seen "the twist" a little earlier but c'est la vie. Overall, we very much enjoyed it. 7 out of 10 stars!

i’m halfway through nwr’s too old to die young. i believe he’s all style no substance (especially with only god forgives and the neon demon) but i’m digging this epic mini-series so far. i think his masterpiece was drive but i really enjoyed the pusher trilogy.

Bad Times at the El Royale had a lot of promise but was extremely underwhelming. As a couple we settled on a 5 out of 10 (though I personally gave it a 4 which was rounded up from a 3.5)

5 hours ago, Josh Marenghi said:

I liked it a whoooooole lot more than that. Cynthia Erivo especially. Just a great pulp/caper movie.

Yeah the cast did pretty well, saved the movie for me, but there was a lot that was off for me and didn't work after the first quarter of the movie.

• The sudden deaths lacked impact because of the character build was slow, which is fine, but it resulted in a lack of emotional development to the characters which really deadened the shock of those moments
  • A lot of the mystery was either blown early or never revealed at all. In a couple of cases that worked but in many others it did not.
  • The entry of Hemsworth's character changed the dynamic of the movie in a really boring way.

Overall I was really excited for the movie but honestly found myself really bored and disappointed, which was a shame because it spoiled several good performances.

My dos pesos