"You're friends with Kanye West. That's... the joke."
"I don't like that joke."

"LIFETIME?"
"I'm a white man. And I'm straight. I deserve it!"
"FINE. Your own show. On the Lifetime network."

Also, Lauren Lapkus is fucking great.

• Like 1

On 02/10/2019 at 03:11, Tyrone said:

Day 1 of Halloweenfest, a horror movie watch for all 31 days of October. First up is Candyman, which gets better and better every time I watch it!

Think I last watched that movie about 15 years ago. Don't think the missus has seen it, so will go out of my way to watch this month.

I've been binge-watching the Ducktales 2017 reboot and just watched the "Whatever Happened to Della Duck" episode. Now I just listening to the old NES Ducktales Moon theme on loop because I am the ultimate gooey sap.

4 hours ago, Arjen Robben said:

Joker - Pretty good. Pretty bleak. Joaquin Phoenix obviously very good. Think a lot of the talk about it making some incel/would-be mass shooter type character sympathetic or whatever but I don't feel he's that sympathetic really, he's just pitiful. 

Just out from seeing it myself and I'd largely agree with this, except towards the end (without going into spoilers).

I liked bits of it, and disliked other bits. I dont think its justified the outrage towards it but it's still left me feeling a bit weird after it. I didn't like it as much as I thought I would after the initial trailers but it's not bad at all. Just relentlessly fucking bleak.

Yeah, I wasn't expecting quite that level of bleakness really, even the trailer made it seem like it'd have it's moments but it's just so joyless, which isn't necessarily a bad thing in a film depending on the film, and to be fair, particularly one like this where I actually think it's kind of appropriate, but still. 

Which bit are you referring to? Assuming spoiler tagged stuff is okay in this thread. 

Joaquin Phoenix has quickly become someone who I find myself interested in seeing films he's in just because he's in them. Still think his performance in The Master is my favourite of his. I hope he works with Paul Thomas Anderson again at some point.

1 hour ago, Kaney said:

Just out from seeing it myself and I'd largely agree with this, except towards the end (without going into spoilers).

I liked bits of it, and disliked other bits. I dont think its justified the outrage towards it but it's still left me feeling a bit weird after it. I didn't like it as much as I thought I would after the initial trailers but it's not bad at all. Just relentlessly fucking bleak.

I quite liked that it was a movie sort of set in the Super Hero Universe but there was no special effects, no massive fight scenes and it was just a thriller about a man slowly losing it. King of Comedy was better, though.

In the morning, saw Beetlejuice.

Later on, The Joker.

Both were genius works.

6 hours ago, Arjen Robben said:

Yeah, I wasn't expecting quite that level of bleakness really, even the trailer made it seem like it'd have it's moments but it's just so joyless, which isn't necessarily a bad thing in a film depending on the film, and to be fair, particularly one like this where I actually think it's kind of appropriate, but still. 

Which bit are you referring to? Assuming spoiler tagged stuff is okay in this thread. 

Joaquin Phoenix has quickly become someone who I find myself interested in seeing films he's in just because he's in them. Still think his performance in The Master is my favourite of his. I hope he works with Paul Thomas Anderson again at some point.

Phoenix had an amazing year last year. If you haven't, you should definitely check out Don't Worry, He Won't Get Far on Foot as well as You Were Never Really Here. I loved both of them. The Sisters Brothers was also really fun, and a very easy viewing compared to those two.

13 hours ago, Arjen Robben said:

Just in case...

When he is broken out of the cop car and then is surrounded by all the clowns worshipping him after killing the tv host. I think he'd have been a lot more pitiable, and the film as a whole would have said more on the consequences of abandoning people with severe mental health issues, if they went ahead with the tease of having Joker shoot himself on live TV instead but the way things turned out in the immediate aftermath is something I can see that would be glorifying the whole mass shooter mindset. I think it's all meant to be very ambiguous after a point anyway but I wasn't keen how it played out.

I still enjoyed it, but don't really feel I need to see it again. I don't think I can even remember any sort of comedy in it to give a break from the constant downer.

Spoiler

Personally I could have done without that sequence. The natural ending for me was when they cut the feed to the TV show. I thought it was brilliant up until that point and I guess they couldn't help tying the riots to the night at the theatre. Though I did have to pee at that point so that might have been a factor >.>

London Film Festival is on at the moment and I've been trying to catch as much as I can in-between work. I've managed 7 features over 3 or 4 days and there's been two standouts that I'd hugely recommend catching when they come out. 

Our Ladies is a hilarious coming-of-age film set in Scotland about five girls who use their trip to Edinburgh to compete in a choir competition as an excuse to get drunk, chase boys and have a day out. It's the funniest film and best time I'd had at the cinema since Booksmart, so would totally recommend checking it out upon release. 

And then I saw Portrait of a Lady on Fire which is outright one of the best films I've ever seen. Or maybe one of the best cinema experiences I've ever had. I've always loved Celine Sciamma's films, but this felt life-changing. Like it's hard to put into words, but I was so deeply moved by it, I ended up walking around aimlessly for half an hour in a daze. It's the kind of reaction I had after watching American Honey a few years back - just absolutely floored by a films beauty. 

Oh, I actually really liked Bad Education, starring Hugh Jackman and Alison Janney. It's the director's follow-up to Thoroughbreds, which I was a bit indifferent on. However, this is a really good satire which totally has something to say about today and abuse of power. 

I've seen a few other decent films, Zombi Child being the most interesting, even if it didn't totally blow me away. 

Also found time to see Judy, which I thought was a bit underwhelming. 

Yeah, They Live is fantastic. And one of the best fight scenes ever filmed.

On 10/10/2019 at 15:08, stokeriño said:

So They Live is just plain ridiculous, huh.

Nowhere near Big Trouble in Little China or Escape from New York in terms of quality zaniness, but some top 80s nonsense nonetheless.

Obviously, you've never come to kick ass and chew bubblegum.

On 10/10/2019 at 18:11, Rey Cloudy said:

They Live is amazing.

You're damn straight it is.