What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

• 2 weeks later...

SECRET OBSESSION, on Netflix. Its okay if you need something to kill time, but I figured out what was actually going on pretty early on way before the reveal.

SERENITY, on Amazon Prime. NOT the Firefly movie. This one stars Matthew McCougnaghey and Anne Hathaway, so you'd think it would be great, right? Nope. Not at all. Might very well be my least favorite movie that either has been in. 

1 hour ago, Benjamin said:

Us is fantastic. I fucking loved it, one of the best movies I watched all year. Great way to look at America.

Have you seen The Boys?

I "procured" it and want to watch it, but currently smashing out Borgen and I'm also worried the violence might be a bit much for Emily.

19 hours ago, Benjamin said:

Us is fantastic. I fucking loved it, one of the best movies I watched all year. Great way to look at America.

I get that it’s a big metaphor, but that’s exactly what is wrong with the movie. Get Out was so goddamn good, but Us just feels like it was solely made to appease critics. It was a boring mess.

6 hours ago, Josh Marenghi said:

That’s definitely the first time I’ve heard someone call it boring.

The beginning with the fair/house of mirrors had potential and truly felt creepy.  The whole deal with the under people was just ridiculous and I lost interest with their moaning and awful voices. 

I HATED Cabin in the Woods and that seems to be universally loved on the board, so I guess I have a different taste in horror

This review kind of hits on what I was trying to get across better:

Us feels like a high school senior trying really hard to pull all the symbolism out of The Great Gatsby so they can put a cute two-line metaphor into an essay. "The increasingly vapid and spoiled American is blind to the sufferings of the people they've stepped on to get to where they are today. When finally confronted with this fact, it's like looking at a distorted version of yourself, but your reflection is the suppressed, angry, concealed version of you". Metaphor achieved. The metaphor isn't necessarily bad, but the component pieces (the dopplegangers living underfoot, the double-edge scissors) feel forced. Unlike Get Out (which I loved), where the symbolism feels ever-present and the emotions arise organically, Us feels more like checking boxes from scene to scene.

THE BOY WHO HARNESSED THE WIND, on Netflix.

Warning: Don't bother messing with the subtitles option, because regardless only a small portion of the movie is in English. Be prepared to read subtitles, or don't watch it. That said, damn good true story, based on a book written by the main character.

THE LAST LAUGH, also on Netflix.

A comedy starring Chevy Chase and Richard Dreyfuss. Most of the cast is made up of other comedians, including the great George Wallace and Lewis Black, plus Andie MacDowell. Not super-great, but still pretty damn funny. (Kind of a dramedy, but not quite.)

Edited by GhostMachine

• 2 weeks later...

Saw HOBBS & SHAW earlier today. I thought it was pretty good. No appearances by anyone else from THE FAST AND THE FURIOUS franchise (other than Shaw's mom, if she counts), but Mister Nobody is briefly mentioned. Idris Elba was a great choice for the villain. One mystery is left open, and will hopefully be answered in the sequel.

Couple of casting surprises you'll either love or hate. If you hate, you have no soul.

Oh, and regarding Roman Reigns being in the movie:

No dialog whatsoever. If he had any, it was left on the cutting room floor. But he does fight, and actually hits a couple of wrestling moves. SAMOAN DROP!!!

Edited by GhostMachine

• 2 weeks later...