What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

On ‎23‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 03:29, Benjamin said:

Frozen 2 was great. Enjoyed it so much.

I now find myself idly whistling the four note 'siren call' thing that's the basis of both Elsa's songs.

Luckily I had no self-respect to begin with.

3 hours ago, stokeriño said:

I now find myself idly whistling the four note 'siren call' thing that's the basis of both Elsa's songs.

Luckily I had no self-respect to begin with.

You shouldn't have to worry about that, both songs are kinda' awesome, especially the second one.

Also, that Kristoff song :wub:

2 hours ago, Benjamin said:

You shouldn't have to worry about that, both songs are kinda' awesome, especially the second one.

Also, that Kristoff song :wub:

I tried listening to the Kristoff song again afterwards, but it's not the same without the power ballad visuals. :lol: 

1 minute ago, stokeriño said:

I tried listening to the Kristoff song again afterwards, but it's not the same without the power ballad visuals. :lol: 

That whole thing was just so out there, though, my cousin and I were stunned for like the first 30 seconds, and then it became just the best thing ever (the reindeer as backup vocals had me struggling to breathe).

On 25/11/2019 at 10:29, Barbaro CaverLUKIEo said:

I might have missed the discussion, but has anyone seen Years and Years?

Episode 4 :(

Watched Years and Years a few weeks ago. The whole thing was hard to watch. I probably shouldn't have binged it. 

On 30/11/2019 at 19:01, Maxx said:

Knives Out is great

Just got back from seeing it and it is!

• Like 1

I watched Pam Anderson's Barb Wire for the first time today as my parents would never let me rent it on VHS at the video store when it came out and I'd long forgotten to find it again (They didn't let me rent Tank Girl either, but I conned my Grandfather into renting it for me). The movie is BAD. The acting is BAD.

I think I loved it?

Uncut Gems is really good, I wish Adam Sandler did more stuff like this cause he’s really fucking good at it, but it seems so rare that he bothers. Stuff like this. Punch-Drunk Love, The Meyerowitz Stories. Most of his filmography is just him fucking about with his mates but when he switches it on for something like this he’s outstanding.

Marriage Story is one of my favourites of the year; so clever and beautifully executed. 

Knives Out is just super fun. Really taps into making use of an established cast, picking a tone and making sure everyone is operating on the same level. It never veers too far into spoof, it's tonally perfect and makes for a great time in the cinema. 

Like Marriage Story, I'm trying to make an effort to see more Netflix releases I actually want to see (I've still never seen Roma), so I watched I Lost My Body, which was an inventive and evocative french animation that was acclaimed at Cannes. There's some truly stunning imagery in there, although I felt the story started to lose a little momentum, even within its 80 minute running time. That said, the ending is incredibly satisfying. 

Likewise, I finally got round to Meyerowitz Stories while on this Netflix binge. I think Marriage Story is Baumbach's best work, but he's one of the best for dissecting family dynamics. He utilises his cast, and as said above, it's always great to see Adam Sandler deciding he wants to do good work. Formally, I didn't love the ending, it felt like a big departure from the rest of the film and kinda jarring, but saying that, I also enjoyed the little snippets - mini epilogues. 

• Like 1

6 Underground. 

The car chase sequence early on is a bit too long for my liking, but its a really good action movie with a bit of gore AND humor. Some pretty interesting kills in the movie. They left it open for a sequel, and I do hope there is one.

Its a Michael Bay film. `nuff said.

My favorite kill was probably

When they're taking out the generals, and shoot one through his lit cigar in his hand and into his open mouth

, though there were several other cool ones. 

Speaking of which (kind of), I watched Bumblebee tonight and quite enjoyed it. It felt like it was pitched in the right place as a family ish action film, the funny bits felt actually funny unlike the "Hah, ethnic voice" of the Bay films, and the Cybertron bits were lovely. It had flaws, but I'd watch a sequel. Not the ones that already exist obviously.