What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

The Vast of Night was pretty good.  Worth a watch when it hits Amazon at the end of the month.  Feels like a made for streaming.  It’s pretty dialogue heavy, feels kind of like an low budget, indie Close Encounters of the Third Kind.  

Using lockdown to get through films, usually epics, that I've neglected until now. 

Thankful that Seven Samurai and The Bridge on the River Kwai both landed for me. I always get a little nervous by watching something so historically revered, especially if I've been meaning to get round to it for like, the last 8 years.

Both films are just so unbelievably well-crafted by two pioneers. I doubt I'd have a lot to add that hasn't been said before, but just a joy to watch artistry like that. Not quite on the same level, but on the theme of epics, I was a little underwhelmed by Heat and Once Upon A Time in the West, so this was great to connect with the former two. 

Not an epic as such, but I also watched The Wicker Man for the first time and it is deliciously wicked. Loved it. Equally, in terms of ticking things off, I finally got round to Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke and also loved both. 

Been watching a lot during all of this, just bought a boxset of British New Wave films to watch and re-watch. Trying to use this to get on top of British film history, which is something I'd started doing a few years back but tailed off recently. Been ticking off Joseph Losey's films while they're on Mubi as well; The Servant was the highlight, while I admired, but didn't love either Accident or The Go-Between.

Edited by Jimmy
  • Like 3

I finished Series 2 of Mr. Robot. I put it off for a while because I heard it was the worst one, but after a few ponderous episodes, it really kicked into gear. Episode 6 had perhaps the wildest tonal shift I've ever seen for its first twenty minutes, and I loved it.

I think I've decided that after 9 out of 10 episodes, White Lines is a bit rubbish. It's like if someone took The Inbetweeners Movie and tried to turn it into a whodunnit movie, except there's only one likeable character. The guy they're trying to solve the murder of is a proper twat so I don't really see why any of them care.

Checked out Rocketman which was a lot of fun, although it kind of leaves me wanting a more in-depth, serious take of Elton John's life, since this is more of a loose timeline used to tie musical numbers together. They're very good, though, and all the hits are there.

Also, the dude that plays Elton John is kinda cute? I dunno, I gotta think about it.

It also made me want basically the same movie but for Bowie.

• Like 2

On 24/05/2020 at 10:45, Jimmy said:

Using lockdown to get through films, usually epics, that I've neglected until now. 

Thankful that Seven Samurai and The Bridge on the River Kwai both landed for me. I always get a little nervous by watching something so historically revered, especially if I've been meaning to get round to it for like, the last 8 years.

Both films are just so unbelievably well-crafted by two pioneers. I doubt I'd have a lot to add that hasn't been said before, but just a joy to watch artistry like that. Not quite on the same level, but on the theme of epics, I was a little underwhelmed by Heat and Once Upon A Time in the West, so this was great to connect with the former two. 

Not an epic as such, but I also watched The Wicker Man for the first time and it is deliciously wicked. Loved it. Equally, in terms of ticking things off, I finally got round to Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke and also loved both. 

Been watching a lot during all of this, just bought a boxset of British New Wave films to watch and re-watch. Trying to use this to get on top of British film history, which is something I'd started doing a few years back but tailed off recently. Been ticking off Joseph Losey's films while they're on Mubi as well; The Servant was the highlight, while I admired, but didn't love either Accident or The Go-Between.

Have you watched Grave of the Fireflies yet Jim? You should do a double watch with first the heavy hitter Grave of the Fireflies, followed up by the other Ghibli film from the same year, Totoro!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Monkey D. Lars said:

Have you watched Grave of the Fireflies yet Jim? You should do a double watch with first the heavy hitter Grave of the Fireflies, followed up by the other Ghibli film from the same year, Totoro!

Yeah I've done both of them, I was basically doing them in chronological order, but I skipped one cos I just really fancied watching Princess Mononoke and Spirted Away. They're both great though! 

• Like 1

On 04/06/2020 at 02:28, Jimmy said:

Yeah I've done both of them, I was basically doing them in chronological order, but I skipped one cos I just really fancied watching Princess Mononoke and Spirted Away. They're both great though! 

I did this, but still haven't seen Tales of Earthsea, the Secret World of Arrietty, From Up on Poppy Hill and When the Wind Rises (basically, that early '10's period). I should probably get on that! Wished I did that during the quarantine period :( 

My favorites are probably Princess Mononoke, Grave of the Fireflies and Kiki's Delivery Service. There isn't a bad one in the bunch, though. Even Nausicaa is amazing!

On 03/06/2020 at 20:48, Monkey D. Lars said:

I bet your cried during Grave of the Fireflies! 

https://letterboxd.com/larziej/list/ranked-studio-ghibli/ these are the ones I've seen.

Amused that you have Poppy Hill 2nd-to-last (above only the obvious, Earthsea). I can summarise everything I remember about that film with the following (plot spoilers):

Spoiler

School kids: Hey let's be boyfriend and girlfriend. Cool? Cool.

Some person: Turns out you're actually brother and sister.

School kids: Well that's awkward... But having thought about it, we think our love should overcome.

Me: WHAT NO

[rest of film happens, mainly about cleaning an old building or something]

Some person: Oh it turns out you're not brother and sister after all.

Me: YOU GOT LUCKY, PUNKS

• Like 1

On 05/06/2020 at 13:32, Benjamin said:

I did this, but still haven't seen Tales of Earthsea, the Secret World of Arrietty, From Up on Poppy Hill and When the Wind Rises (basically, that early '10's period). I should probably get on that! Wished I did that during the quarantine period :( 

My favorites are probably Princess Mononoke, Grave of the Fireflies and Kiki's Delivery Service. There isn't a bad one in the bunch, though. Even Nausicaa is amazing!

What do you mean "even" Nausicaa. It would be in my top 3 and I've seen all of them.

14 minutes ago, stokeriño said:

Amused that you have Poppy Hill 2nd-to-last (above only the obvious, Earthsea). I can summarise everything I remember about that film with the following (plot spoilers):

Hide contents

School kids: Hey let's be boyfriend and girlfriend. Cool? Cool.

Some person: Turns out you're actually brother and sister.

School kids: Well that's awkward... But having thought about it, we think our love should overcome.

Me: WHAT NO

[rest of film happens, mainly about cleaning an old building or something]

Some person: Oh it turns out you're not brother and sister after all.

Me: YOU GOT LUCKY, PUNKS

Compared to other Ghibli films it was such a dud! And that's kind of all I remember too 

22 minutes ago, Malenko said:

What do you mean "even" Nausicaa. It would be in my top 3 and I've seen all of them.

I just meant it’s technically not a Ghibli film. I loved it, it’s like a precursor of Mononoke to me. 

• Like 1

Like everyone else, I've watched too much stuff over the last couple of months. And the term 'Limited Documentary Series' has become my crack, as such I've seen: Tiger King, Making a Murderer, Sunderland 'Til I Die (season 2 only, was a bit shit to be honest), Wild Wild Country, The Keepers, Evil Genius, The Staircase, The Last Dance, Jeffrey Epstein: Filthy Rich, and OJ: Made In America.

Any other recommendations under this specific label, please let me know!

• Like 2