What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

On 28/06/2020 at 09:10, Gazz said:

The new Eurovision film on Netflix. Didn't see @Katsuya once. 0/10

What'd you think of it?  I've never seen a minute of Eurovision but I liked it more then I thought I would

Watched See You Yesterday on Netflix. It's part of their BLM collection, but it's a fairly fun little time travel film. It's very good, and goes from fun to absolutely grim effortlessly to make a pretty powerful film. There's bits of it (no spoilers) that would genuinely make you wonder if it was filmed last week rather than last year, obviously police violence is a long running issue but it's terrifyingly relevant. Would definitely recommend. 

Also Michael J Fox makes a wacky cameo. It's all over the place.

I like The Truman Show. Quite a lot. It was put on Netflix (UK) last Wednesday, so I watched it right away. Since then I've come across a thread of small details, a lot that I hadn't spotted before! I do see something new every time; I noticed the Seahaven sign in that thread on my last watch... still can't believe I never saw any secret cameras other than the one on the neighbour's bin and above the Kaiser Chicken sign!

• Like 1

Hail Satan? - cracking documentary on Netflix about The Satanic Temple.

1 hour ago, Maxx said:

Palm Springs on Hulu was really enjoyable 

Oh didn't realize that was out yet.  Really liked the trailer so I'm gonna check it out

In the last few weeks, we've been doing a weekly film club with a friend who is isolating in another part of the country (we do the whole thing over FB messenger). We've watched

• Please Murder Me - a 1956  movie starring Raymound Burr and Angela Lansbury. It was, okay.
  • Touch of Evil - Which I have seen a few times and will always think is great.
  • The Stranger - A fantastic Orson Welles movie about a Nazi hiding out in a small American college town.
  • Cabaret - I had never seen Cabaret and really enjoyed it.
  • The Love Witch - For me it was a re-watch. The Love Witch is fantastic.
  • All About Eve - This was another rewatch for me and, again, I really like it.
  • Fear Eats The Soul - RW Fassbinder's film about a love affair between an aging cleaning lady and a Moroccan immigrant in 1970s Germany. This is a great film.
  • The Lady From Shanghai - More Orson Welles. We've watched a lot of Orson Welles for some reason. Worth it mainly for the ending I think. Orson's Irish accent wasn't the worst. 
  • Whatever Happened To Baby Jane? - Again, I'd never seen. This was intense and all sorts of excellent.
  • The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant - Again, more RW Fassbinder. This was somewhat inspired by the fact it was influenced by All About Eve and later had some level of influence on The Love Witch. A mid-30s fashion designer falls in love with a 23 year old aspiring model who she invites to live with her in her apartment. It has an all female cast and takes place completely within Petra von Kant's apartment. It's really good and well worth a watch.
  • Like 2

On 13/07/2020 at 13:13, Hobo said:

In the last few weeks, we've been doing a weekly film club with a friend who is isolating in another part of the country (we do the whole thing over FB messenger). We've watched

• Please Murder Me - a 1956  movie starring Raymound Burr and Angela Lansbury. It was, okay.
  • Touch of Evil - Which I have seen a few times and will always think is great.
  • The Stranger - A fantastic Orson Welles movie about a Nazi hiding out in a small American college town.
  • Cabaret - I had never seen Cabaret and really enjoyed it.
  • The Love Witch - For me it was a re-watch. The Love Witch is fantastic.
  • All About Eve - This was another rewatch for me and, again, I really like it.
  • Fear Eats The Soul - RW Fassbinder's film about a love affair between an aging cleaning lady and a Moroccan immigrant in 1970s Germany. This is a great film.
  • The Lady From Shanghai - More Orson Welles. We've watched a lot of Orson Welles for some reason. Worth it mainly for the ending I think. Orson's Irish accent wasn't the worst. 
  • Whatever Happened To Baby Jane? - Again, I'd never seen. This was intense and all sorts of excellent.
  • The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant - Again, more RW Fassbinder. This was somewhat inspired by the fact it was influenced by All About Eve and later had some level of influence on The Love Witch. A mid-30s fashion designer falls in love with a 23 year old aspiring model who she invites to live with her in her apartment. It has an all female cast and takes place completely within Petra von Kant's apartment. It's really good and well worth a watch.

So many good movies in that list, Fear Eats The Soul is a stunning, it had such an impact on me. 

Edited by Jimmy
  • Like 1

It instantly became a favourite of mine after watching it once.

My girlfriend is a huge Fassbinder fan. She always makes a point of informing me when one of his lovers  is on screen. Which if anyone reading this is unfamiliar with the his work - is quite often (I think Fear Eats The Soul has at least 3)

1 hour ago, Hobo said:

It instantly became a favourite of mine after watching it once.

My girlfriend is a huge Fassbinder fan. She always makes a point of informing me when one of his lovers  is on screen. Which if anyone reading this is unfamiliar with the his work - is quite often (I think Fear Eats The Soul has at least 3)

Yeah Fassbinder's great (his films, definitely a questionable character), I also got a lot out o The Merchant Of Four Seasons and Katzelmacher. Been meaning to get round to The Bitter Tears of Petra Von Kant and The Marriage of Maria Braun for years. I've got Fox and His Friends on Blu Ray as well which I need to make time for. They did a Fassbinder season at the BFI a few years back, which is where I saw Fear Eats The Soul, which is a pretty sweet way of seeing it for the first time. Want to seek out the TV show he did as well. 

21 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

Yeah Fassbinder's great (his films, definitely a questionable character), I also got a lot out o The Merchant Of Four Seasons and Katzelmacher. Been meaning to get round to The Bitter Tears of Petra Von Kant and The Marriage of Maria Braun for years. I've got Fox and His Friends on Blu Ray as well which I need to make time for. They did a Fassbinder season at the BFI a few years back, which is where I saw Fear Eats The Soul, which is a pretty sweet way of seeing it for the first time. Want to seek out the TV show he did as well. 

Berlin Alexanderplatz? I bought that for my girlfriend for Christmas. We keep threatening to watch it but haven't gotten there yet.

Watched the documentary Love Without Demands a few weeks ago and, he sure was a ... character. At the same time, there's a real sadness about him.  Apparently, Petra von Kant is the character he felt most represented himself. Which isn't the most flattering self-image.

Other than the ones mentioned above I've seen Martha, Veronika Voss, and Querelle. All of which I recommend. Querelle is visually very different from all of his other films that I've seen. It's also the most sexually explicit. 

PARADISE HILLS and THE OLD GUARD - both on Netlix over the last couple of days.

THE OLD GUARD was excellent, and apparently a sequel is already in the works.

PARADISE HILLS was weird as fuck. Good movie, but weird as fuck.

The next installment of our weekly film club was Fitzcarraldo. Because two of the three of us may have a thing for New German Cinema directors and I brought my Herzog box set with me on lockdown.

I love Fitzcarraldo. It's probably the most Herzog ever Herzogged. Plus the whole story of the production is something in and of itself. I think I have more love for Nosferatu or Strozek.

Before the film, as our friend was late getting online, my gf and I watched Herzog's short Precautions Against Fanatics. It is a very silly short film about people trying to protect horses from fanatics and an old man who keeps chasing them away.  We almost watched Werner Herzog Eats His Shoe - one day I will get her to watch that.

• Like 1

We watched The Lighthouse and Vivarium yesterday.

The Lighthouse was intriguing and had good performances but overall we were disappointed in it based on the rating it had received and the hype surrounding it.

Vivarium on the other hand we thought was great and underrated. Strong performances, a generally creepy setting and plot with enough mystery to keep you unsettled but wanting to know more 

Vivarium is on our `To Watch' list. We just picked up the Disney+-ESPN+-Hulu package. And we already have Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Apple TV+. So we won't be running out of things to watch nay time soon. Plus we also have HBO, Starz, Showtime and Cinemax. So we REALLY won't be running out of things to watch. I''m just killing time waiting for Lucifer season 5 to drop on Netflix.

We started watching Luce, but Heidi had to go run an errand so we stopped. Hoping it to finish it when she gets back.

I watdhed Against The Clock last night, and it stunk. Struggled to get past the last half hour or so, and wonder if Andy Garcia did it to pay off a favor or something. I don't recommend it.