What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

We rented Paradise Hills and Fantasy Island from Redbox night.

Paradise Hills we each gave a 7.5 out of 10. Good acting by an interesting cast and a plot that has you really wanting to know what happens next and what happens at the end. Visuals were stunning! Really enjoyed it (though there were a couple things I wanted to see/know more about).

Fantasy Island ended up with a 6.25 overall from us (6 from me, 6.5 from my wife, or vice versa). Very interesting horror take on the old show to set up a solid premise. Campy but fun. A central question drives the suspense forward in a way that allows for some neat twists and turns. A few funny one liners as well added to the comedy part. 

Overall we enjoyed both!

On 25/07/2020 at 11:25, Benji said:

Currently watching Artemis Fowl. Acting is straight out of a made for TV movie. Incredibly cringe.

Watched it yesterday, and pretty much agree. Though Josh Gad did steal the show whenever he was onscreen.

• 2 weeks later...

I liked Project Power, watched it last night. It wasn't great and there were of course a little pacing issues, plus some stuff I was not fully comfortable with, but other than that I thought it was a solid Hollywood action movie.

I rewatched The Raid the day before that, though, my god that movie is incredible. Still holds up so well.

I also watched that Eurovision movie, it was not good. Felt ridiculously dated, why is there still a Shake Weight joke in 2020 comedy films? Jesus. Rachel McAdams is great in it, though, would love her to do more of these goofy comedies, but hopefully in a much better one. 

Just watched Gaslight (1944).

That is a fantastic film. Ingrid Bergman is amazing, as is a very young Angela Lansbury.

Also struck me how similar the role Isabella Rossalini played in Blue Velvet her mother's role in Gaslight.

On 23/08/2020 at 22:43, GhostMachine said:

Ready or Not

Good movie with a f'd up premise. Only one thing I didn't like: 

Hide contents

The husband turning on her after all. Saw it coming a mile away, and was hoping I was wrong.

I love Samara Weaving. She's the highlight of this, and great in Mayhem and The Babysitter. I was delighted to find out she was in Bill & Ted Face The Music.

Thought The Devil All The Time was great for the actors' reels but otherwise dragging. Lots of good acting but lacking on the plot front for me.

Jumanji: The Next Level on the other hand was great, The Rock impersonating Danny DeVito is money.

Just finished the Sharon Horgan episode of Criminal: UK as well, so I've got one left. Really good series but I'm glad they don't drag it out over too many episodes, there's only so much they can do setting it in one room but the strength of the guest stars really helps it.

Bleeding Steel - Jackie Chan in an action flick where he plays a cop (again), but with a Sci-Fi twist. The main villain ends up looking like the start of a budget Borg. The movie is mostly serious, with only a couple of comedy bits that are more chuckles than laughs. Cool thing is Jackie takes out one bad guy henchman with an MMA move rather than Kung Fu.

Spoiler

The bad guy will never be the next Shane Falco. He doesn't have heart.

He could have conquered the world, but his heart just wasn't in it.

As far as Jackie Chan movies goes, this one middle of the road. If you prefer your JC movies with comedy, avoid this one.

Also...

New Legends of Monkey - An Australian series on Netflix, based on the Monkey King legend. How good is it? Well....I binged the entire first season in one day, and am abour 3 episodes deep into Season 2. There are only a couple of actors in this that I've seen elsewhere, but the one playing the Monkey King is great.

Having seen it, I'm quite indifferent to Tenet

Spoiler

I would have enjoyed it a lot more if the film kept the tone of the Oslo airport scenes i.e. big dramatic heist, close-combat fighting.

And while 'inversion' is a neat gimmick, I don't understand much of the 'inversed bullet' thing - because there's a line of dialogue saying how dangerous it is to be shot by one of these bullets (certain death etc.) but so is y'know, getting shot with a regular bullet. I think you see two people get shot by these kinds of bullets, and one ends up living anyway, so what's the point?

I thoughtTenet massively let itself down with its characters; they just don't exist, they just service a semi-complicated narrative that looks great and has some neat set pieces. There's something in there, there always is with Nolan, but I was ultimately bored cos it was impossible to invest in characters who aren't really characters. Visually, aurally, it's all great; a big, inventive, original piece of cinema that kind of forgets to have a beating heart. 

• Like 1

Watched Watchmen (2019) on blu-ray over the last week since it won all those Emmys. I'd had the blu-ray since June, but didn't bother watching because I can be a procrastinator. Due to the Emmys, I was spoiled on a major plot point, but it didn't hurt my viewing of the show. It's excellent, and way better than Zach Snyder's adaption.

• Like 2